ZBrushCentral

Run with this Mesh (Starter Mesh) for comics

sorry ed_
Not dead just facing enough paperwork and stuff to bury a small migit up to his neck. So ya Keep up the work. I can see by your poseing that you might wanna try poseing at a very low level of geometry and then go to the highest.
That way is doesnt distort.

Ed , i’m not finished as well so its not dead, i’ve just been spending all my time researching my new pc components, hopefully i’ll be able to update soon.
i like the new pose very much, and also your rejected models weren’t bad either.

This thread is totally not dead.
Although I’m low on updates, I’m still in. I just got a little sidetracked by a little thing called life. Why can’t I get trapped in a dungeon or something with only ZBrush for a companion?!

Anyway, Spaceboy412, why don’t you get a mac? They did the component research and it runs vista the fastest. (just in case ZMac got delayed again)

feureau, sigh, mac? please i’m trying not to barf, vista, blargh!!!
but hey, to each their own right! maybe if i wanted all decisions made for me.

Hi peoples. Thanks Spaceboy.

Thread dead… thankfully no, by all accounts. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you lot working your way through the challenge. I keep looking for updates. I also have enjoyed finally the Zbrush process. I have learnt alot. Thanks.

Well I still haven’t decided on a final pose:rolleyes: . As for transpose I have basically mastered it at any subdivisional level except subdiv 1. The only problems I have found are extreme poses; turning heads to one side (this causes me to use the posable symmetry on heads, however if the body is not to extremely posed I get normal symmetry…if that makes sense) and once I have turned the head it is like it is on another layer.

I shall post some trial posing I have rejected for various reasons…

The model sitting was meant to have her arm down with her hand in her lap, this was just an arty farty experiment with a rejected model…

Sorry to bore:( with text and more rejects.

anada.jpg

Nope. I give up. I have a computer littered with almost ran models (rejects) for one reason or another. Unless monsters etc are your thing its easy to model etc, but everything takes too long. I’m going back to traditional mediums. I’m selling.

Attachments

Now.jpg

i dont know if any of you guys already know about this web site http://www.comicvine.com/characters/but its a realy good resource for all things comic book related.
there are literaly thousands of pictures of practicaly all comic book charactes ever draw.

hope it helps;)

nice work on this thread buy the way.

:cannedmushrooms: is your character based on lady death? as its a good likeness

Decided to take up the challenge on monday I think it was. Unfortunately I’ve hit the point at which 512 RAM makes it very tedious to continue. I’ll have a better computer setup hopefully soon enough.

[[attach=85772]Dangergirl.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘85772’,‘Dangergirl.jpg’,1,0))

I’m not to fond of my results up to this point, but oh well.

Here’s the reference:

[[attach=85776]Reference image.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘85776’,‘Reference image.jpg’,1,0))

It’s a composit of Dangergirl wearing Fairchild’s head.

Attachments

Dangergirl.jpg

Reference image.jpg

O ya love Danger Girl;)

Great job with only 512 of ram (thats so low)

Yes the figure I made was lady death. A great comic but Steven Hughes was the true genius behind her style.

Unfortuntly as an artist he his no longer with us. But I still remember his art;)

Thanks. Maybe I’ll try and tweak this one just a little bit more and repose it. I was kindof in a hurry to get it over with but I think I should take my time with it for a little while.

Here I’ve combined a two different materials in photoshop with a little tweaking to try and get a dot shaded comic book affect.

[Dangergirl 2.jpg]

here’s another one that was discarded…

If I still have this programme for a week or two I will finish a character:rolleyes: :lol:

girlcartoonjpeg.jpg

ugo.jpg well after finally working out most of my PC quirks (generic router), i was able to get back to this project, i’d say i’m 95% done with the sculpting, i may add a little more detail to the hair, not sure if i’ll color it. also need to change some major proportion issues once i have it in Transpose Master. I’m not sure how far i’ll go, i’m itching to get back to some personal projects that i put on hold.
The eyelashes look all messed up do to the best render AA settings, i cannot seem to get them to look right, i think i may need to render them out separate and blur the aliasing by hand next time.

Spaceboy: Love the model, the forms all seem to work together very. One of the better girl sculpts I’ve seen in a while, hope to see more soon :+1:

great model. some objection though :

• the ears a bit too big and not so much worked on
  • the eyelids ! close them up a bit - in a more feminine way

women tend to look from under them - this girl is half scared :lol:

polyhertz, thank you, thats nice to hear

cojo, i have to disagree partially about the ear size, it is lined up properly according to established proportions, overall though the whole model is underdeveloped, as you say, mostly cause i was still trying to retain a somewhat comic book feel, not to mention that there is a short amount of polys in the ear area due to the base mesh.
also if you read the comic with her character she generally goes from outraged to narcoleptic, considering that i didnt want her sleeping, the eyes stay open. I’ve never been into that bedroom eyes thing you’re talking about anyway, let the marilyn monroe fans have their way, i’ll have mine.

as i said in an earlier post this is generally not how i would do a woman but i’ve tried to emulate Allreds drawings up to a certain point and filled in the rest with my own tastes.

Well you don’t have to give her bedroom eyes, but they should look a bit more normal. Right now they are literally bulging out of her head. You’ll realize this when it comes time to texture. The ears are too big for a woman, they are placed on the head right though.

You can stick to your reference art, but sometimes you have to adjust models a bit, because what looks great on paper does not always translate well into 3-D.

Looking very nice!

The problem with doing individual eyelashes in ZBrush is that unless you render with really soft shadows with an aperture of 90+ for the lights, then you get dark shadows even with hair/eyelashes that are only 1-2 pixols thick.

One thing you could do for the eyelashes is to do it like any other modeler would. Make a polygon strip for them then map the eyelashes onto them. But the trick is to make the background transparent. ZBrush sees 100% black as transparent. So you could make the background of the eyelashes color maop 100% black, then the eyelashes themselves could be 95% black which would show up. I hope this doesn’t sound confusing. :slight_smile:

This wouldn’t solve the shadow rendering issue I mentioned, but it might help when editing the eyelashes if needed.

okay i’m not going to spend my time defending decisions that i consciously made, its a matter of personal taste and i have reasons for what i’ve done or not done, i’ve had a similar argument with my good friend Fidel.
i don’t know where in the world anyone else lives but where i’m at there are all kinds of people ranging from amazingly beautiful to whats in the water mutations, i choose to model somewhere inbetween.
i would say prove to me that women only have small ears and only have half closed eyes. perhaps that is generally accepted as “beautiful” but as i said i’m doing what i find attractive, i happen to like tori amos’s crazy ears, and evangeline lillys buck teeth, and claire danes overly opened eyes, and chiaki kuriyamas amazing nose, i could go on etc. of course someone with all those features togethe would look freakish but no different than what i see at the local food mart.

Kracken, thanks for the tip, i had thought of doing the poly strip but i’ve never much liked the idea of it, even if it looks better, it just seems flat to me. I have all kinds of crazy restrictions i put on myself, the lighting tips might help though. otherwise i think i’ll just render them out separtely rather large and composite them in, this pic was just an update not a finished illio.
i’ve not had much problems editing the lashes, i love using lasso with masking and the move brush, makes it all easy, the unfortunate thing is i had some really great looking eyelashes but lost them in a crash, so these were done halfheartly… but i know the next time i do them what to do and not what to do. its all about learning for me.

btw i used to love the kracken from clash of the titans, i had that toy forever until his arms disappeared one by one.

That there is a right fine model. I like everything about her. I guess the propotion issue you’re having is in the hands and foot length? Is that right? Personally, I think it’s minimal and may not even warrant a change. Still, go for it if ya want.

Adore the face/hair.

On spaceboy’s Ugo-girl. I like it. In fact, I think it’s definietly one of the better female sculpts on the site. It’s wonderfully modeled and very believable. On the eyes and ears, yeah, they’re probably not idealisticly proportioned and shaped. But idealistic proportions are usually very unbelievable and somewhat boring because they are ideals and not REALITY! The only problem I see with the eyes would be that you may have difficulty rigging them to close if you planned on doing so in another package. I emphasize MAY becasue you may have trouble or you very well may not. And since it doesn’t seem as though you had any plans on doing a full on animation with this project, I don’t even see why that would even be an issue. I think the real issue people are having is the fact that you have a very expressive face, while the rest of the body is in a very neutral and unexpressive pose. I think the bulging eyes will bring a good pose together quite nicely if you chose to do so.

On Kraken’s suggestion about the eyelashes. I’ve heard and seen alot of other modelers use this approach. What I have a hard time with is that Maya doesn’t seem to want to let me make things 100% transparent. And after countless hours I finally found a way only to find that the completely transparent portions STILL cast shadows! (stoopid MentalRay):cry: If anyone could shed some light I’d be much obliged. Does 3DS Max have the same issue?