ZBrushCentral

Questions & Troubleshooting for ZBrush 4R8

*Inaccurate Information in Gizmo 3d Documentation.

To whomever it may concern, certain sections of the Gizmo 3d documentation in the Zbrush docs seem to refer to a version of the tool that differs from the one that was eventually released:

Placement and Orientation of the Gizmo 3D

When in Gizmo 3D mode, a short click on any part of the model (active or non-active SubTools) will position the center of the Gizmo 3D on the click location. The orientation of the Gizmo 3D will be defined by the orientation of the clicked polygon.

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/modeling-basics/gizmo-3d/basic-operations/

This describes the behavior of the tool when it is unlocked, but it is not unlocked by default like the transpose fuction.

2.Inserting an Edge Loop

Edge loop insertion using Gizmo 3D can be done using the Scale manipulators. This quickly creates topology inserts on a model rather than a simple extrusion. As with the Extrude feature, the model must be a PolyMesh or DynaMesh and cannot have subdivi*sion levels.
While Gizmo 3D is active, holding the CTRL key and dragging the Gizmo 3D Scale manipulator will create an edge loop along the boundary of the non-masked part of the model.
Of course, it is possible to simply CTRL+ click the appropriate Scale manipulator to create an edge loop. Take care when doing this; the inserted edge loop won’t be visible and you run a risk of overlapping edges.

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/modeling-basics/gizmo-3d/extra-operations/

This sounds like a great feature and I wish the Gizmo actually worked this way, but it doesn’t. Ctrl dragging on the scale manipulators only controls the clipping/flatten functions. I have not discovered any way to insert edge loops with the Gizmo outside of using one of the deformers.

Just bringing this to someone’s attention I hope.

I’m having so much fun its probably illegal, but I have a couple of questions too.

First one is stupid:
How do I save changes made in Preferences? I can never remember, and forget what to even look up to find out.

Second one is weird:
How do I reactivate 4R7?

Third one is complicated:
Something is wrong with my UI, its WAY too big, and there’s huge scroll areas on both sides of the Pallet areas. On top of that there’s this new area I cant get rid of at the top that displays all sorts of sub-brushes, how do I fix this stuff, my Canvas is WAY too small now and a UI made for the visually impaired I dont want or need. Actually I suspect its for those newer monitors with microscopic pixels, but I need to turn it off.
Changing font size didn’t work, all the buttons and stuff stay huge as does the areas around them, I would like the old UI style back.
Actually the UI goes right off the bottom of my monitor now and it never did that before.

Oh, one last thing, forgetting to turn on Edit gets me stuck in 2.5D and makes me have to switch tools to get out of it… Interesting little snage there!

Thanks to anyone who can answer that stuff!

Cheers,
Mealea

4r8 will import any interface .cfg file you saved out in R7 with the Preferences > Config > Load UI function. If it was something you had set to load on startup, you’d need to drag the cfg file from its location in the r7 directories to the corresponding location in the r8 files.

In either event, the interface will probably need updated in order to accommodate the new r8 functions like live booleans and gizmo, which wont be there on an outdated custom UI.

Having a 3D Print Exporting issue.

Before you could set the size of your model by say ‘40mm’, then you could export each subtool individually based on the universal scale of 40mm. I seem to be unable to do that now. It now exports each subtool at the universal number that I set. Can’t figure out how to change this? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Preferences > Config > Store Config

If you deactivated it prior to installing r8, you will have to activate it by web again. Note, you can only have one or the other running at once (either r8 or r7).

!!!Unless you have a crucial reason for doing this, I strongly advise leaving well enough alone. It may complicate your activation situation, or cause you to run out of activations, requiring you to contact support, who are likely to be very busy for the time being. You do not want to have to make a support ticket this week, or risk breaking your r8 install.!!!

Not sure what happened there, but it sounds like you inadvertently changed a UI setting, or switched to a different UI .cfg.

Try Preferences > Config > Restore Standard UI, and see if that gets you back to default.

Ugh. I see my responses have been banished from the main board to the Questions and Troubleshooting forum dungeon.

Watches some rats scurry past some dusty skeletons

I’m outta here!

RE:

ZBrush 4R8 starts but the UI is not visible on the desktop. The cursor tracks everything properly because it changes to what is underneath it. I try to guess where the Restore button is in the upper right corner and click on it then the UI is visible in Window mode which I can then maximize and it’s OK. I have uninstalled ZBrush then re-installed it but it’s still the same. I updated my graphics drivers but it’s still the same.

Windows 7 Professional

Thanks for responding aurick

Display resolution is 1920 x 1080.

I downloaded the full installer and installed that as I always do. I did not use Auto Update.

Deleting the ZBrushData folder in Public Documents fixed it, but as soon as I start to do any customization, it breaks again.

It’s not really that big of a deal. I can live with opening it in the manner i mentioned above.

It was OK when I first installed it but started acting up right after Windows Update…

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3186497)

Not sure that had anything to do with it, or it’s just coincidence.

Hi-
I am seeing an issue with 4R8, where the font appears to be missing an replaced by a default font that is way too big-note how the menu wraps in the screenshot below. Is there away to make the font go smaller/more like 4R7?
See:

Fonts-4R8vs4R7.jpg

Try scaling your UI smaller in the Preferences settings. This will reduce the font size as well.

Attachments

Fonts-4R8vs4R7.jpg

I installed the new upgrade and low and behold my GOZ folder is totally missing in action in the Public>Pixologic location. Are F’ing kidding me Pixologic, SERIOUSLY. All my work is gone now. I really hope there is a way to retrieve this important work. OMFG… I’m floored right now… absolutely floored, dismayed and beyond pissed off. :angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:

Nothing in the upgrade process deletes your GoZ folder automatically. Even the Auto Update method (which was NOT recommended) doesn’t touch that folder.

The only way the folder would be gone is if you uninstalled 4R7. During the uninstall, it asks if you wish to also uninstall GoZ. Saying yes will remove that folder, but you were asked.

Unless you had a very old version of ZBrush 4.x and uninstalled that as well? I think 4R3 and earlier (if I remember right) uninstalled GoZ automatically, but this was changed with later installers.

You can get GoZ back by running the installer found in your ZBrush 4R8\Troubleshoot Help folder.

[ 15 jun 17 EDIT: I added a video of the issue in case this helps – https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=30Ab8R9Zwko ]

I’m not getting a new Umesh tool in my tool palette after performing a “Make Boolean Mesh” action.
The Live Boolean views always look fine: Showing what the resulting mesh should look like.

After clicking Make Boolean Mesh,
“Union meshing in progress, esc to abort…”

Then nothing. No change. No new “Umesh_…” tool.
Am I missing something simple? I’ve watched several videos, reinstalled and still no luck.

Thanks
4r8 Macbook pro

@Artmaker

“Make Boolean Mesh” creates an entirely new unified mesh tool and places it in your tool list (not your subtool list). You must locate it there and select it.

Sorry if I misunderstood your problem.

|@Spyndel
|

There’s no escape for you!
GRIN!

Im having fairly severe problems, this is why Im thinking of switching back to 4R7.
The UI is going crazy, and, more recently ZBrush decided I dont have a wacom tablet.
At first I had “some” isues but it was still cool learning till I realized that everything I did made the canvas get smalller and the UI started to extend itself below the botom of my monitor.
Gr8fredini displays a bit of this below, 4R8 is so much bigger font and button wise than 4R7 (and it keeps expanding) that it doesn’t fit.
Something’s broken, and I think its this unicode stuff whatever that is. I know its for people with high rez monitors, but I dont have one of those. I either need to turn it off or go back to 4R7 (I tried to reactivate it using web activation as normal and it failed).
At this stage I dont have ZBrush, I have a broken thing that’s getting worse.

One thing that would help is getting rid of the two gigantic scroll areas in the side panels, the other ones worked fine and I will never use them…

Actually I dont have any clue what would help… Im at a complete standstill
Autosave has gone insane now.

Here its being stuck in 2.5D mode and you can see that the UI is stupidly large:
Stuck.jpg

|

Attachments

Stuck.jpg

@Spyndel

>>“Make Boolean Mesh” creates an entirely new unified mesh tool and places it in your tool list (not your subtool list). You must locate it there and select it.

I see no new tool created in my tool list (sub tool list remains unchanged too).

Tool and Subtool Lists Before (during actually – “Union remeshing in progress” ):
Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 6.15.50 PM.jpg

Tool and Subtool lists after clicking:
Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 6.16.04 PM.jpg

I appreciate any help.Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 6.15.50 PM.jpg

Attachments

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 6.16.04 PM.jpg

@ gr8fredini

R8 does have a new default font, but the size difference shouldn’t be too drastic. The button size ( and therefore the font size) can be adjusted in Preferences > Interface > UI > Button Size.

Note that this is one of the few preference settings that does not require you to store config to save it, but you will have to restart the program.

@Artmaker

That IS weird. It’s proven surprisingly reliable to me so far, but you can always run into issues with problematic geometry in zbrush causing problems. I assume you’ve tried this with entirely different objects/tools so far?

Did you install R8 with the full installer, or the auto updater plugin?

@Spyndel

Yes, I’ve tried primitives, the stock dog mesh, dynamesh spheres, other of my own sub tools, etc.

I did use the full installer. Dowloaded then ran it.

The only thing i did after installing was to replace my custom UI config file. And then added (control alt drag?) the live boolean button.
I’ve rebooted.
Thinking that my Custom UI changes might have broken something, I unistalled and reinstalled.
But still it doesn’t seem to generate a new UMesh tool.

Thanks!

Uninstalling won’t remove your custom UI. For Windows, go to C:/Users/Public/Public Documents. For Mac, go to \Users\Shared. Once there, (with ZBrush closed) delete or rename your ZBrushData folder. When you restart ZBrush, this folder will be recreated with the default UI and other settings. See if that fixes things.

Also, I assume that you’re also checking the Tool pop-up window rather than just looking at the Tool palette in the Tray? The pop-up shows everything. The palette only shows a few items and may or may not display the new mesh.

@MealeaYing

I don’t see anything too crazy with your screenshot there, other than you have the color palette pinned on the left. Click the little circle button in the top left of that palette to make it go away.

Otherwise, see my response to @ gr8fredini above about adjusting button size. If you were experimenting with that at all earlier, note that that is one setting in the preferences that doesnt require a store config to save it–it will take effect on your next restart regardless. So its possbile you increased your button size making things a bit too large for your monitor resolution. The default seems to be 48, so just keep bumping that down a bit at a time until everything fits.

If that still doesn’t solve your issues, before you do anything drastic I know there’s a .cfg file somewhere that can be deleted to resolve some problems with borked interfaces, but I will let Aurick advise you on that hopefully.

[Edit] I did happen to notice also that your screenshot is 1600x900, which is smaller than 1080p. If youre running a 1080 p monitor, is it possible youve changed your monitor rez somehow? It would have the effect of making the normal zbrush interface much too large.

@artmaker

Customizing your interface shouldnt have anything to do with it. I’ve dragged that button around several times now on my custom to no ill effect.

It’s probably something really simple that I’m going to feel really stupid about when Aurick comes along and points it out.

OK. I hope its simple. Thank you for checking into it!

anyone finding themselves no longer able to snap Drag Rectangle brushes to 15degree increments by adding the shift key before letting off the pen stroke?