ZBrushCentral

My First ZBrush Work

That’s absolutely beautiful work! I’m still interested in seeing the colour map ? I’d like to see the difference between your colour map and final render, I’m doing something similar, and trying to get some naturalistic skin tones, and seeing your base map would be really useful, no worries, if you haven’t the time. Looking forward to your next works. :+1:

Regards

Hi Frenchy!

There were two groups of pterosaurs: rhamphorynchoids (with teeth and long tails) and pterodactyloids (without tails and with no teeth). Pteranodon, with characteristic crest on the skull, was typical pterodactyloid. It’s true that many pterosaur teeth were found, but all belong to those genera that had them were alive :slight_smile: So, pteranodon had no teeth :sunglasses:

Really beautiful model. Maybe you could have saved yourself some time by using some alpha stencils. Deco brush for it all!?! :grimacing:

really really great !!!

this is fantastic ! :sunglasses: :+1:

And now they make sleding or ice skating if I have good seeing :lol:
So they will surely broken their teeth ! :lol:
It’s the explanation of the mystery :smiley:
Pilou

Wonderfull…

So if I’m right, you sculpt you geometry in zbrush, and all the micro wrinkles are not sculpted, but drown as bump, and render as bump combined to the dsiplaced geometry, right?

Ok,

<b>neogobius:</b> after doing our research and presenting a final proposition, the client made two things very clear: they wanted a pterodactyloid, and it HAD to have teeth. And it's as we say about clients: "The 'pocket' ALWAYS has the final word." End of debate. :D <b>3DP: </b>Paul, your work was VERY inspiring to me when I started! I am honored by your comment here! :)

It’s true that deco brushing every single line seems a bit overkill… but as I said before I am a hi-res freak, and once I discovered the deco, it was love at first sight! Heheh
I felt more in control of where and how I wanted my wrinkles and detail, and the whole painting process was truly therapeutic! Really! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sebcesoir:
“So if I’m right, you sculpt you geometry in zbrush, and all the micro wrinkles are not sculpted, but drown as bump, and render as bump combined to the dsiplaced geometry, right?”
Well, almost… The micro wrinkles are drawn as a bump map in ZBrush, but render as displacements in RenderMan combined with the true ZBrush displacement map. That’s done using that special displacement shader we developed here.
Your work is also a source of inspiration. Thanks for posting here! :wink:

<b>Stringer:</b> As you will see below, the color map is quite saturated. I painted it like that to have a better color range to play with when I started tweaking the shaders in PRman. In the end, I used it a bit less saturated to make it look more "natural" and accentuate the dusty/worn-out look of the Ptero.

As I said before, there isn’t much to it, as most of the interesting skin detail is a combination of the displacement and color maps, with the addition of my “dust/dirt” layer on top of it all. (I am sorry for the watermarking, but it is policy…)

[<!--[attach=15298]PteroColorClose_01.jpg[/attach]-->] [<!--[attach=15299]PteroColor_LoResDemo.jpg[/attach]-->] Cheers everyone! Keep posting! :)![PteroColorClose_01.jpg|800x800](upload://sHOo4tnmXs2xMFWdGlrEFafp7h8.jpeg)![PteroColor_LoResDemo.jpg|800x800](upload://29S4LV3lIDldGX3CzH6jJteJIR4.jpeg)

Thanks for posting the colour map, that’s helpful for what I’m looking at. I appreciate it, thanks.

OMG it just gets better and better :slight_smile:

Gus, I’m really glad you enjoyed my work. I must admit seeing this pterosaur has given some itchiness to do another dinosaur, despite swearing off them for a while. I guess I’m just a sucker for a pretty dino. :wink:

Quote from enchantedlearning.com:

“[color=black]Pterodactyloids were carnivores; some had bristle-like teeth, some had no teeth. They ate fish (which they caught at the surface of the oceans), mollusks, crabs, perhaps plankton (for some species), insects, and scavenged dead animals on land.”

This link is to a drawing of various sculls:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/9211097/

Thanks guys for the support and replies!

3DP: I’ll be looking forward to your next dino! I don’t think I’ll spend ZBrush time on another dino for now, but would surely love to do another one…

Here’s another view of the Ptero:

[<!--[attach=15323]Ptero_Flying2_HiRes2.jpg[/attach]-->]![Ptero_Flying2_HiRes2.jpg|1200x936](upload://4eE5ukUtQoUUvsi3WaNqD6ZnLTX.jpeg)

Hope you guys like it!
Time to go to Siggraph… Can’t wait to see all the cool ZBrush news!! :slight_smile:

Cheers everyone!!Ptero_Flying2_HiRes2.jpg

Welcome Gus, I usually don’t reply to the top row pics cause what can you say about really, really, good work, except that it is really, really, good. And that falls a little flat. Maybe in the last picture,…Rachael Welch in his claws. :smiley: Could you quit your job and become a full-time Z Teacher?? A little in awe, 50.

Hello 50’s!

Thanks for your reply!
You flatter me! I’m way too new to ZBrush to think about teaching it!
Besides, my teaching skills are really bad. Believe me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rachael Welch would be fun wouldn’t it? But this project is over… Maybe I can start a “Rachael Welch” ZBrush project and merge them both in the future… Haha! (But I don’t see this hapening anytime soon…)

Cheers!

Pilouonemillionyearsbcdvd[1].jpg

Wow Frenchie. One can really appreciate the beauty of that picture since it’s (she’s) B.S.

Before Silicone. :wink:

Muito bom o trampo GUS, que bom saber que está mandando ver no Zbrush tambem, iniciei meus estudos a pouco tempo no ZB e é uma ferramente inclrível!!!
Bom saber que os Brazuacas estão cada vez mais presentes no mercado CG!

Woooooooow
This is amazing… congrats!

Ae Gusman… ficou mto bom hein?

parabens dinovu… e sucesso pru c rapaiz!

hey there,

this is probably my first post here, but i just need to say that this pteranodon is the most impressive work i ve seen so far when it comes to prehistoric animals. Me for myself is loving Dinosaurs and i already have done some tutorials on how to do them in Lightwave ®. But since ZBrush gives the tools to do those awsome work i just want applause for that outstanding “first try” of urs, Gus. well keep up that fantastic work :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

i ve also tried to animate that pteranodon which i have done 2 years ago. Well have look for yourself and see where the difference is between the masters and the “I-wish-I-could”-people.

so long

cheers

Demon

my pteranodon try

Hello Marcus, (yes, I visited your website :wink: )

thank you for the nice words! It has been a while since I last posted in this thread, and it is very encouraging to see people still appreciate this work.

This has truly been my first ZBrush work. I tried learning it before, but felt quite frustrated in all my attempts… Had little time to study, and the interface seemed too “weird” to me.
When the opportunity came to do this project, I was thrilled because I would finally have “work-time” available to sit and learn ZB from start to finish.
The Ptero gave me the perfect opportunity to develop some useful ZB skills and work out a pipeline in our studio to take advantage of a ZBrush/RenderMan workflow.

I think your ptero is not bad at all!! With a “rougher” shader, better illumination, some “erratic imperfections” in the flight cycle and emphasizing a bit more of the body weight in every flapping of the wings you’ll get yourself a winner ptero shot! :wink:
Keep up the work, and show me some progress if you choose to work on it!

Cheers!