ZBrushCentral

Lessons In Zbrush 3 (videos)

Jason,

I might sit out this Z3 nonsense for a bit. Since downloading 3.1 I keep getting error messages about my license and now I can’t open either 3.0 or 3.1. Pixologic has been available and responsive just not effective. Two phone sessions have failed to allow me continued, uninterrupted access. I have run the system diagnostic ‘dxdiag’, saved it to text and sent it to Support and maybe I’ll have good news today but I haven’t been able to open anything but 2.0 for three days.

Anyway, I thought I’d spend more time with your Maya lessons and had a couple questions about workflow for buildings. I want to build a small desert Western town with typical buildings: Saloon, Jail, Wheelwright, Blacksmith, Train Depot, a couple of Victorian style homes, etc. I want to build the town as a set with interiors and exteriors to be used as backdrops for a series of ZBrush character illustrations.

Should I simply stack primitives, cut holes in them and texture with photo reference? Is that too simplistic? What’s the deal with UV’s on models made up of many separate parts? How should I structure the file tree to keep track of what will be a lot of geometry?

Thanks!

~S.~

Could anyone please upload these movies to an other host? As a rar or zip , ready for download?
Would be great, because I can´t download them from hp (to much traffic?) nore look at them as a streem video at veoh.

Thanks in advance!
Hilmar

Snark I would go primitives with textures as TGA
This way you can add the alpha channel to make windows.
For buildings with interiors use boxes and with buildings that are just there to look at use poly planes.

About the files being uploaded somwhere else
Wow do i really need to answer that.
I gave you a few on veoh and a free access pass for a month.
Right click save target as on the vids it really does help.
it serves out 50-100 kbs right now so to stream that it would be 25kbs
In a couple months if it grows I will buying another server;)
Im going to be messing around today with the img files because there all over the net also. That will speed things up a bit.

Thanks!

~S.~

WOW

well I think i found the source of the speed drain.
i renamed the image directory and WALLA this killed all links nation wide to everyone that has ever posted the files in other places.
The pictures being linked were affecting speed also.
Learn somthing new everyday;)

Couple peeps try and download a vid and report back see if that helps

Thank you very much Jason.

I saw you had problems to frame your object after it went gone (trying to select a bone-zphere)… just hit “f” on your keyboard…this shortcut will frame your mesh (easier then alt + click on empty space on your canvas with your pen…)

Lucky_1

I trying literally, right now. Still quite slow but much better that yesterday.
Time for down load lesson1_zbrushc.wmv is now down to 30mins which shoud be 6 mins for my broadband, but given the extra traffic now the tuts are in 3+
cant complain.

great tutorials, appreciate haveing, with next to no docs from pixologic.:frowning:

Rachel

hi, i’m downloading them now, getting between 60-100 kbsec.

i haven’t watched them yet, but thanks in advance. i’ve been doing 3d for four years, but zbrush for about 4 days…needless to say, there’s alot there to be understood…

luckily, i like a challenge…

Great job,
thanks a lot,
Cheers

I’m making a crash course video now sort of a recap to lesson 1
I think it needs to be made because alot of questions are poping up on just basic things.
It will be a 3.1 video;)

I think this may have been said before;

URtheGR8est

Bears repeating :wink:

to everyone who’s saying the downloads take too long, the other day one video took 5 hours to download, which i dont mind cause i just start downloading it and go about my business. Jason rocks for sharing his knowledge for free and soon to be a cup of coffee as he says.

Wow! Thanks very much! Great tutorials

lesson 1 has now a little brother called Recap.
Even if you havent yet upgraded to 3.1 I would watch it.
Right now I’m working on the move brush trying to get it working.
I never noticed this before but when you mouse over the buttons with cntrl has anyone ever read these. They remind me of fortune cookies.
Some are very hard to decipher. I swear they read sorta like this to me
“when active you will find a change in the ratio of the orientation of the maximium number of units the object can translate from one end of the given axis to the other end of another axis based upon the mouse movement”
This would be a great example of what the move tools cntrl discription would be.

Gees.

wow some very very very intresting stuff on brushes coming up next lesson.
After opening up 3.0 and 3.1 side by side I really see how things have changed.
The name of the game is accucurve also brushes work more relevant to curves than ever before.
Alot to think about as an artist.
So certain brushes need certain curves in order to function the same or better.
The problem is now however you cannot save that curve. without program crash. I think when I first tried using 3.1 I was to busy powering out a character and getting flustrated when I was doing the details.
Trust me the details are there but you cant think as an artist in order to get them to work.
I guess you have to be a little bit of a scientist half the time in order to use zbrush.
3.0 was proof of that. But 3.1 really nailed it.

Lol, if you can decipher that and others, we will all be eternally gratefull! Thanks for the re-cap, I’ll be sure to watch it, and decide later about changing to 3.1.

You are really great to be doing this! :smiley:

Oh and a note to Firefox downloaders - I was having really slow downloads this weekend and then suddenly it was literally hanging - couldn’t get into the site. Turned out to be a Firefox problem - I removed all of my addons and when I returned to the site, the downloads were up to the levels mentioned above, and everything downloaded much faster!

I don’t know which addon was bulking up Firefox - I just deleted them all! :stuck_out_tongue: but it worked! :wink:

Edit: Erm… okay, well, the new one is downloading slow, around 14 kbs, lol, so I spoke too soon. Just giving you the info, not complaining - these are definitely worth the wait!

Thanks rachel. I wasn’t looking for a software program, but art lessons that won’t break the bank, like a dvd or book. I’m thinking about the Hovarth (spelling) figure drawing book, or is it Hogarth – and maybe I’ll hit the bookstore today, but wonder if there is a dvd out there. Perhaps this belongs on another thread, but just thought I’d squeeze it in here :smiley:

For art lessons I really dug these dvds
I have the whole set and it really breaks down the human body some.
http://the-structure-of-man.blogspot.com/
I think color, lighting and depth of field are probablly the three most used things next to anatomy.
If I could go back in time I think would have liked to start painting in photoshop at alot earlyier of an age.
You learn alot about color because you can experiment with color so easily.
If you sketch somthing. Scan it into photoshop and start painting it with a wacom tablet. You will start opening a new level of creativity. And the greatest part is you really dont have to think all that much with photoshop. Its alot more like painting. There is also a program called corel painter 10. Its also really good getting your feet wet into digital art while still trying to learn traditional art because all the brushes use terminology based on traditional painting.

I think if you said what sort of art I think I could send you into a better path.

Like painting with oils vs digital = Gnomon dvd with Pudden Head (yes thats his name) and painter 9 Amazing techniques on that dvd. Any artist should watch it really inspired me.

this one is the drawing
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/kll01.html

this one is the painting
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/kll02.html

Pudden Head is one of the really good instructors from gnomon I like his techniques.

Just be carefull the vids are rather expensive.
Pudden head
Alex A.
and Meat M.
These instructors are great if your new at gnomon.

Hi There, I’m not sure if it’s hogatth or not either, but if drawing is what you’re looking to do, the perhaps, a pad and pencil will help, nit being funny, but the more you do it the better you get at it. I was and stil am in the same situation, so i purchased a little bundle of software call the virtual figure drawing studio by cloud star. 1 prog each for face with expressional changes, same with hands, male and female torso’s. Excelent little programss, as the screen can be grided once or twice for more acuracy and each product can display in either doll mode(you know the old wodden doo, skeleton, cartoon,sketch like or normal human, even transparent to arms behind the torso. Very cheap too. really, and again a full lifetime of upgrades.

Regards

Jason, I’ve gone through more Zbrush instructional videos than I care to admit (both free and pay), and these, by far, are the absolute best I’ve ever seen.

Thanks so much for your generosity and brilliant guiding hand!