ZBrushCentral

Lessons In Zbrush 3 (videos)

oh please, i really want to see how you handle displacement exporter 3. I am used to MD2 and i tried to use the same quickcode in md3 that i used in md2 but it doesnt look that good. So if you have a nice quickcode i would really appreciate that.

Joyster

Thanks, Jason.

The zsphere rig is much clearer and I have gotten that to work but the IK Maya rig is still unadressed. Nudge, nudge.

~S.~

I would fix it snark but it seems the brain behind Pixologic has made it so it crashes now when you try this. I am still working on why.
I would love for an actual official person from pixologic to explain to me why the level of flipping stuff has to happen in the first place.
I mean come on we have to flip maps, Worry about scale, and flipped models.
What form of bizaro world do you take us users from anyway!

That Maya thing was way cool I will get it working again!!!

o and dont try that use the import export flip button speech
still crashes;)

OMG IT WORKS!!!

Ok if you dont want your model to flip the pose heres what was wrong.

When I made the video I had zbrush 3.0
So thinking that I exported a model from 3.1 into maya and sure enough they changed somthing that scales it in -z

Even though the same setting are on from 3.0 import export preferences!!!

Whats even cooler that there is not one trace of scale difference. betwen programs now.

Ok so anyone following the video for lesson 10 now in 3.1 will be ok as long as they start from the beginning of the movie.
Because they export the model then add bones in maya then export to zbrush and it works without flipping the pose.

But if you started the video in 3.0 and finished it in 3.1 it will either crash or flip the pose.

Snark if you get bored and wanna try this I would love to see if my theory stand correct but heres my pose after redoing everything.
(note if you are maya savy just rotate your root bone in maya -180 y then rebind character)

So I dont know what to blame 3.0 or 3.1 but all I know is Y is up;)

pose.jpg

Attachments

pose2.jpg

Thanks!!!

These are great for me because I prefer to watch and listen rather burn my eyes out reading text on a monitor for long periods of time…

Thanks for putting them back for free :wink:
Great tutorials, really appreciate time and effort you spent making them :+1:

As a beginner, I am very grateful to have access to these tutorials. I just have one question - should I first try following the tutorials in ZB3 without updating to 3.1? Or is it fairly easy to find things even after the interface changes?.

I have 3.1 downloaded, but am in no hurry to install it if it’s going to make the tutorials harder to follow. Remember, I am a very very very novice beginner! (And yes, I noticed the beginner tutorials you have on your site, and plan to download them too!)

Thanks especially for making these free to forum users for this month. Greatly appreciated!

judee

Have a great day man - you deserve it

All the features are the same its just the buttons are a little more flashy.
Maybe do lessons 1-3 then upgrade.
I’m going to have to recap the smooth brush because right now its a little wacked out.
So that will give me a chance to make a recap vid.

I’m going to make a small character first so I actually explain stuff from a person that actually uses the new 3.1 brushes;)

Ok well I think I have made a decision about 3.1 I will not be using it anymore in the videos. Sorry but it is insanely broken. I covered Displacement and Zmapper
And as far as personal use I am trying to install but 3.0 and 3.1 on my machine by any means I see fit.
But as far as teaching 3.1 My students would never be able to sculpt with the brushes the way they are.
It took me like 4 hrs to figure out some workarounds for the way the move and smooth tool works with no solution.
Move tool will not work correctly on double sided or double walled polys at all and smooth well I wont even go into how janky that tool is;)

Well, I guess that answers my question about updating to 3.1 better than anything. :wink: If you say it’s wonky, then I’m not touching it!

I’m surprised though - aside from interface changes, it sounds like they changed (or broke) some major elements. Is it that they are actually broken, or is the way of using them so different that they seem to be broken? Don’t they have competent people testing these things before releasing such an update?

The ZBrush approach is known for what it is, different, and brilliant. I can’t imagine why they would want to change any of the major sculpting elements, especially how the brushes work. So surely this is a glitch, an error that got past testing somehow, something they will hopefully patch with ZB 3.1.5 or whatever number they want to give it.

Jason, have you reported these problems to the Powers That Be? Surely they are working on a solution. Until then, I’m not updating, thank you, I’ll stick with 3.0

Thanks for posting this - you just saved me a lot of headaches! :+1:

well, that explains a little why I was having trouble finding th tweak brush. I’m on lesson 2 with the skeleton using 3.1. One thing I was looking for in 3.1, and maybe someone can tell me this outright, is how to center and straighten the tool in the document window. I had a hard time with this, and maybe it’s covered in another lesson down the road.

cannedmushrooms, I love your tutorials, and wish I had a cat like that. your photoshop tutorials will come in handy too. I wonder if you have any or would consider creating some drawing tutorials using traditional media - like pencil and/or charcoal. I’m thinking about purchasing the creature drawing dvd from gnomon, but am afraid of ordering something that might be a bit advanced. Although I did have a couple of drawing classes a couple of decades ago… I don’t remember most of them.

the site ask me for downloading password dude
can u tell me what i can do pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez :confused:

The passwords are on the first page of the forum and are good for about a month.

Big thanks fir these great videos Jason! Being a complete beginner, I would not be as confident in going in and “putting my fingers in the clay” if it weren’t for your efforts.

password username at beginning of this post
and here

username: pixologic
password: members

Hey, Zbush is 500 bucks, but you wont pay some guy 3 for his tutorials

Sorry judee You got swept away in a few msgs

I think the number one thing that will confuse an artist is the move tool.
It gets confused on backfaced culling. The smooth tool can be repaired with a few curve tweeks. But all in all its very unstable. But really besides Zmapper and Dispexporter I was pretty happy with 3.0.
When I test drove 3.1 as a person that was very well used too 2.0 and 3.0 sculpting was one of those thing I barely thought about. It was like sketching.
It is important for a creative individual to have this. More and more as Zbrush gets upgraded this has gone away.

I will be test driving it again with another character too see if it was just me or it was Zbrush. But ya pretty much not looking forward to another 4 hour rumble.

What really is ashame is besides the sculpting being goofy and a few crashes the topology tools really do tend to work alot better. Especially projection.

Reporting Bugs to the higher ups is sorta hard.
We have a wonderful site person that looks over the forum but really I dont see many Higher ups ever in the forum anymore. I see alot of top artists but programmers tend to stay in the shadows.

They will see many people with their bug reports in the Q&A forum however.
I have a pretty big one there myself;)

Thanks, Jason, for clarifying what I need to watch out for. I do think however that I will stay with 3.0 until these little glitches get worked out. I imagine if the bug reports in the Q&A forum become numerous enough, somebody from programming will have to come take a look, lol.

Anyway, I like to take my time learning something this new, so even just the first few tuts will be plenty for me while waiting for them to get that smooth tool working smoothly. :smiley: :wink:

Thanks again,
judee

jason i’m getting a 404 on two of your maya tuts
directional lighting and
light linking
seems like a few other maya vids wont work either.
maybe its just me, i am pretty tired, hehe.

If your looking for a really nifty little drawing program I can highly recommend pixarra twisted brush. Very cheap lifetime updates, lots of different mediums like japanese paint brush, pencils, felt, chalk, and a whole lot more besides, with programable effects too.

Excelent programm.

Regards