ZBrushCentral

imagine - enthuse - inspire (step by step Pg. 9)

" imagine - enthuse - inspire "

With your art and this thread, including your earlier threads, you have indeed;
Fired my imagination,
Pumped up my enthusiasm,
and Inspired me to modify my workflow, making Zbrush my primary tool and Photoshop my secondary.

So now I’m even more excited about the upcoming ZB 4R7 with Keyshot Bridge. Eagerly anticipating the faster render times and workflow.

Thank you (again) for sharing this work with us.

Doug

Awesome work here. And very inspiring. I would love to see your material, lights and render settings to the lineart rendering. This is exactly what I am after for the illustration I am working on.

acmepixel: Thank you for your comments! I hope that this thread works like an energy drink for fellow ZB users, and I am very happy it has worked for you.

MikeHart: Thank you. More on InkRender Matcaps and settings coming up soon, in this thread :slight_smile:

That is …super cool…Thanks for sharing the workflow :slight_smile:
:+1:

acmepixel: Thank you for your comments! I hope that this thread works like an energy drink for fellow ZB users, and I am very happy it has worked for you.

MikeHart: Thank you. More on InkRender Matcaps and settings coming up soon, in this thread

Awesome. I can’t wait. And your postings certainly motivated me even more now.

Did I got that right? You colored it outside ZBrush? If yes, what was the reason for it and did you only flat colored it? I am TRYING to illustrate my wife’s book and still have to find an easy workflow for it.

MikeHart: Thank you.

About the coloring: I get all of my ambient and rim colors from the Zbrush renders. Then I use a couple of Overlay layers on top of my layers stack, to add specific colors. Just a couple of colors though.
Some people tell me that my Among the Stars artwork is very colorful, but I atually use a very limited color palete in each image.
Why I do the area coloring in Photoshop? Because of speed. As you may find out by following this thread, I am short of obsessed with it. I always have timer on, when I work, and I only allocate specific time segments to each part of my work. Something that I learned from the amazing Feng Zhu.
This let’s me time specific tasks and compare times with other approaches. For my SciFi card artwork I have found that coloring in Photoshop is the fastest.
Also, by timing processes and methods of working, I have found that working with ZBrush is pretty damn ultra fast :slight_smile:
Here is proof of that in my Ink-Render tutorial which follows:

ZBrush ink rendering for sketching and thumbnailing:

INK RENDER 001.jpg

INK RENDER 002.jpg

INK RENDER 003.jpg

INK RENDER 004.jpg

INK RENDER 005.jpg

INK RENDER 006.jpg

Attachments

INK RENDER 001.jpg

INK RENDER 002.jpg

INK RENDER 003.jpg

INK RENDER 004.jpg

INK RENDER 005.jpg

INK RENDER 006.jpg

Simply awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your workflow! Now we need the coloring tutorial. :smiley: Just kindding. Only if you wanna do it. I am already sooooo happy that you made this explanation/tutorial.

Thank you!

MikeHart: I hope it is helpfull for your project. I love sharing my Zbrush explorations, so other tutorials will be coming in the future in this thread, as time allows :wink:

Wow, this is exactly how I’ve done all of my work. But I’m absolutely loving your line work style renders. I’m definitely going to give that a try. Thanks a lot for taking the time to show what you do.

dopepope: I am glad you like it :slight_smile:

Here are a couple more ink sketches I recently rendered for presenting some character concepts, using the same technique:

NeoDemon_CyberScourge.jpg

NeoDemon_NetHunter.jpg

Mytholon, you are the Master and I am truly inspired!!!

0039 - Among the Stars Universe process

3D Assets.jpg

ABANDONED STATION SKETCH.jpg

ABANDONED STATION PASSES1.jpg

ABANDONED STATION PASSES2.jpg

ABANDONED STATION PASSES3.jpg

ABANDONED STATION PASSES.jpg

0039 - Among the Stars Universe process

ABANDONED STATION Compositing 1.jpg

ABANDONED STATION Compositing 2.jpg

ABANDONED STATION Compositing 3.jpg

ABANDONED STATION LRA.jpg

0040 a - Among the Stars Alien Races: The Vak

VAK sketch to final.jpg

Attachments

VAK sketch to final.jpg

0040 b - Among the Stars Alien Races: Exodai

EXODAI sketch to final.jpg

Attachments

EXODAI sketch to final.jpg

I’ve got some messages from fellow Zbrush users that were confused about these names. So I wanted to clarify:
Those are all names I use. Mytholon is my nickname here at ZBC, first created in 2005 and then just stuck with it…
Antonis Papantoniou is my real name.
Gameimager is the name of my site.

Awesome stuff. And thanks again for showing your workflow. I love you work!
Btw. do you host the images on your server or here at ZBC? Cause they load very slow for me.

MikeHart, thank you for your comment. I always upload my images on ZBC, not my server. I have not experienced any delays though, loading pretty fast in my PC and my Ipad

0040 c - Among the Stars Alien Races: Septas

SEPTAS sketch to final.jpg

Attachments

SEPTAS sketch to final.jpg