ZBrushCentral

Floyd's Sketchbook

Small update. Took a break from reading and tried to visualize some planes. Some shape adjustments too like the legs around the trochanter (oh yeah, I said it), and some arm masses.

Im a “little” more comforable with faces so maybe that will go easier when I get there.

If you can point out something I’d appreciate it - dont be scared - I dont bite. :+1:

Thanks for checkin’ me out.

MFC2010_man_study10.jpg

Let me start by saying do not google ‘male center line’. Your model looks like he’s falling back, or saying “who, me?”. From the side view, the head should sit directly over the body, not rocked back. His neck is too short as well (or maybe his shoulders are hunched). My advice is to take a photo of yourself in a bathing suit from the front, back, and side. If you have strange proportions, use a friend. Drop those images into your scene and make it match. Once you get the overall proportions worked out, you can dig into the details.

A good rule of thumb for the head is that the eyes go in the middle vertically, the bottom of the nose is in the middle of the line between the eyes and the chin. The mouth is in the middle between the bottom of the nose and the chin. Again, photo ref is critical. I included a shot I found on the internet and a side view of a model I built for an outfit project. My model isn’t perfect, but it maybe illustrates the point. Based on the photo I found, I think your head is a little too small and the eyes too high up.

Let me know if you have any questions.

profile.jpg

I am 99.9% sure that is a sculpture by Andrew Cawrse. He has some reference sculptures available for purchase at http://www.anatomytools.com or for a more direct link http://anatomytools.com/products/anatomy. I would highly recommend them for anyone looking for an excellent anatomy reference.

nstine: Thank you kindly for the citation on that refference from Jouko.

ioster: Dude - thanks for dropping by and slinging out some crits! I noticed a some of the balance issues last night on my own so cool of you to be on the same page, but I pushed some forms around more this morning with what you mentioned in mind - see if you agree.

Started working on the forms of the head, along with more adjustments to the body. Made a new light rig to help myself check for little things I might miss - I’ll share that setup.

Hope he’s looking better - thanks for any C&C! :smiley:

[attach=231593]MFC2010_man_study11.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

MFC2010_man_study11.jpg

Np - side pose looks a little more natural. I’m not sure if you’re working on skeletor, but you might not want to go full skull on this guy. I think you’re better off sticking with the challenge of a regular anatomically accurate model.

One thing that kind of jumps out at me is I think you may be sculpting what you think certain features look like without actually understanding whats happening with the muscle and bone that makes up the form. I know the impulse to kind of rough something in, but roughed in stuff ends up acting as a foundation for work later on, so it’s important to keep it accurate. Specifically I’m talking about the pecs and the area where the legs meet the torso. You may want to avoid planar and flatten type brushes until you have the muscle flow figured out.

I included a shot of the vitruvian man for reference. Take a look at the waist area.

vitruvian.jpg

ioster: Again, thank you kindly for the assistance. Attempted those fixes.

Did some more chewing - skipping thoughout “Sculpting Human Anatomy” by Scott Spencer for refference. Worked more on certain masses, like the waist area and the flow of the arms. Also experimenting with dam standard as I learn about muscle forms.

One day at a time.

C&C always welcome.

MFC2010_man_study12b.jpg

Attachments

MFC2010_man_study12.jpg

Big improvement! Next thing I would look at are the knees and elbows.

ioster: Awesome to hear - thanks! I didnt quite get to those areas in depth last night - I did tug the knees down a little as they were off a bit (8 heads). I cant tell if he’s off balance again from the side. :confused:

Went a little crazy - tried to pretty him up a bit in my attempt at venturing away from the exact look of my refference material. He’s going to need a retopo soon.

If you can point something out, or have the time to, be my guest.

MFC2010_man_study13_preview.jpg

Attachments

MFC2010_man_study13b.jpg

MFC2010_man_study13.jpg

General proportions look better, but the head is pretty lumpy. I think you can take it up another subd level and work it a bit more prior to retopo. You can use the clay brush to fill out some of the volumes to reduce that lumpiness, smoothing along the way.

Hey floyd long time no see buddy!
I see you made some progress on anatomy.

I agree with ioster about the head, it could be improved specially at the cheekbone and forehead area i think. The overall proportions of the body look pretty good but the side view of the legs is maybe a little bit out of shape.

But hey great progress floyd, wish you a happy new year :smiley:

schiefer: What a nice suprise! Good to see you to dude, I miss your epicness around here heh heh. I happened to notice a few of your threads on Eat 3D not even two days ago and was happy to see you having fun over there (let alone turning a bunch of heads!). Thanks for the crits man, Im really trying to learn some stuff. Thanks again, and I’ll work on him! Until next time, my friend.

ioster: Yes! It was lumpy. Takes me a while to notice some things. Tried to fix that! Thanks for your continued help!

Welp - nuff said really. Worked on de-lumping the head, and after I was bored with that I moved on, trying to push more in-depth forms - specifically the neck, shoulder, and upper arm regions. Still using “Sculpting Human Anatomy” by Scott Spencer for refference material - give or take some adjustments to make the study more personal.

C&C always welcome - thanks for visiting!

MFC2010_man_study14_preview.jpg

Attachments

MFC2010_man_study14.jpg

MFC2010_man_study14b.jpg

MFC2010_man_study14c.jpg

MFC2010_man_study14d.jpg

Hi! Great progress and good thing that you bought yourself that reference book, those really make your life easier! :slight_smile:

I also think that the side profile of the leg is a bit off. And I don’t know if that is suppose to be the scapula that draws that sharp line to trapezius, if so, then it’s too up, it should go along the shoulder muscles because to that they are attatched.

Jouko

Jouko: Yes, it’s been helping me a great deal, but it doesnt replace the crits I get here - such a great second perspective those are. Sure it gives you guys a break though! :laughing: Oh - I tried to fix the scapula that lines the deltoid. You can see it a little bit in these.

Ooookay. Little new years lull needs some breaking, so I chewwed on those arms some more - more so the forearm and elbow - or as I’m trying to beat in my head, the “olecranon process” (I know, I know). Those flexors and extensors combine to make some seriously confusing shapes, at least right now. Trying to get my feet wet with em’.

Thanks for looking - hope y’all had a good one! :+1:

MFC2010_man_study15.jpg

Hey! Looking good! :slight_smile:

Especially that elbow area has some nice flow going on. I think you are starting to have a good start point (With the arm) to fine tune the direction that how skinny/ fat/ muscular the character will be. I always find that to be the most difficult part. You can quite quickly shape out the basic anatomy landmarks but the finalization part (Posing -if not rigged, what muscle has tension and what not, artistic style etc.) to really sell the piece for the audience, is the most time consuming part. Especially to have the feeling of mass.

But for the shoulder/ chest muscles, you could try to “connect” them better to the body, now they are more like place holder (Or shoulder pads) of the overall shape and not quite attached to the underlying skeletal structure on the chest/ shoulder area. Or should I say to “blend” them to the skin. Of course if they’re ment to be just a landmark at the moment, I would leave it as is and move on to the legs, that has some more work to do.

By the way, for me the forearm and legs are always the most difficult part because of the long shapes of the muscles and how they kinda flows with a little twist around the bones. I never get them nice and clean, there’s always some weird waves or bumps that makes them even more difficult to have some sort of “tension vs relax” feeling. I don’t know if a tablet would help but with a mouse those has always been a hell for me… :slight_smile:

Jouko

Jouko: You use a mouse? Dammmmnnnnn. I cant comment on that, lol. Thanks for the help man.

Taking it slow here. Worked on the legs/knees, smoothed out the shoulder/arm transition, spot checked the silhouette, and tried to give him a more natural pose for the moment - just to see.

C&C most welcome - thanks in advance for stopping by!

MFC2011_man_study16.jpg

Attachments

MFC2011_man_study16b.jpg

MFC2011_man_study16c.jpg

Quick ortho update. Started to refine the front of the torso, wrapping a little around to the back. Reworked the arms and legs a lil bit as well. Cant quite get the weave of the serratus to look quite right, but it’s coming.

Hope you like! Advice is most welcome.

MFC2011_man_study17_preview.jpg

Attachments

MFC2011_man_study17.jpg

Hi! Nice abs! :slight_smile: I made another quick line over of things that bothers me most:

Hands looks to be too big, they should be approx the size of your face. This one has the size of his head.

Those triceps flow seems to kinda end in a half way through. They should come out under the shoulder muscles.

I guess that those chest muscles are correct but something still bothers me on them, so I drew a “muscle flow” lines to the other side to compare the way I feel that they should be.

With legs, I think the muscles are right but the flow and overall shape is a bit off. Same goes with the back of the leg. Also you could make those front leg muscles more apparent.

But great progress and good thing that you still have the interest to develop this further!

fixes2.jpg

Jouko

Jouko: Appreciate the example! Worked on some of what you mentioned. And it’s cool that you keep coming back to see whats up.

Still chewing on the legs, back, and general flow of things. Some reworking on the head. C&C welcome.

MFC2011_man_study18_preview.jpg

Attachments

MFC2011_man_study18.jpg

Dropping these off.

MFC2011_tree_preview.jpg

Attachments

MFC2011_tree.jpg

MFC2011_man_study19.jpg

MFC2011_tree2_preview.jpg

//youtu.be/QieblQk8hEI

Attachments

MFC2011_tree2.jpg