ZBrushCentral

Zbrush to Maya video tutorial

Thanks man! Cant wait to watch…

so ive watched the video tutorial in this thread, and i cant seem to get maya to load my displacement map.

heres the steps ive done, please tell me if im missing anything:

1. model low poly base mesh in maya
  2. UV in maya
  3. save off as .obj, and open in zbrush
  4. divide mesh 5 levels within zbrush
  5. modify using standard brushes,etc
  6. go down to 1st level of subdivide and run displacement plugin in zbrush
  7. save displacement map out
  8. open low poly model in maya
  9. create blinn material, apply it to mesh
  10. choose a file node and attach it to blinn material , selecting ‘displacement map’ option
  11. double click the file node and find my displacement map saved from zbrush plugin
  12. get an error message saying maya cant find my displacement map file

any suggestions?:confused:

nevermind - i just didnt set the bit depth correctly. i set it to 16bit and it loaded fine. (it was at 32 before)

ok now im having a problem with the mental ray rendering… heres a pic of the prob.

so, the top middle is the mesh in maya after subdiving (as shown in video), and the mesh to the right is the zbrush tool at higheset subdivide.
obviously the mesh to left is the mental ray rendering.

heres a copy of the error message i got…

// Error: (Mayatomr) : mental ray has stopped with errors, see the log //
// Info (Mayatomr): Aborted //
// Error: (mental ray) : …/Desktop/PROJECTS/3D Art/displacement_map1001-D32.tif: file format subtype or version not supported //

can anyone please help me?

heres what happens when i switch to ‘Maya Software’ render…

Did you convert your Disp map to a RGB file? ZBrush makes it as a GreyScale image, and you have to convert it in Photoshop (or another App).

yes ive tried that as well. honestly i dont know what to do anymore. ive looked at just about every single thread/tutorial i could find on this issue for the past few weeks and nothing i try is giving me proper results.

out of desperation, im going to put up the files (.obj, and the .tiff file) and see if anyone can get the proper results within maya.
if someone can - can they PLEASE post their steps and settings used??

http://www.thehighsaints.com/displace_test

Hi OrangeGhost,

I would like to apologize for the really, really, really, late reply. Sincerely I lost track of the forum thread and missed your post. I hope that you have had luck figuring out that problem. If not try the following:

-Mental ray seem to work more efficiently and faster with .map files. So you can do this by converting your files into .tif and then dragging and
dropping the .tif file into the attached .bat and it will generate a .map
file next to it.

Hope it helps

Sincerely,

Edwin Andres Sumalave
www.edwin3design.com
edwin@edwin3design.com

very happy for your work

thanks a lot

OrgoneGhost, make sure that you also set the Alpha Gain, and Alpha Offset to a value of 2.2 and -1.1 (if youre using a 32-bit displacement map)…

hi,i just followed everything in the tutorial but when i do the rendering with maya mental ray my model trasform in someting terrible!!! as you can see…!!!

any help??? may be the displacement map file from zbrush is not good??? i have attached the disl. file…

thanks a lot!!!
prova displ[1]..jpg

MRC_0, I believe there’s the matter of fiddling with the alpha gain values.

This video is great, however, i’d like to see it updated to take into account ZBrush 3.1 and more recent versions of Maya that take advantage of using the Approximation Editor for creating and editing Displacement Tesselation.

A definitive ZBrush 3.1 -> Maya tute should be mandatory for the FAQ page! :wink:

I have got the same problem as MRC_O.
I think the problem is from the new implementation of Maya 2008.
Still can’t find a way to fix it!!! :frowning:

Just found the simple solution from this thread, really simple…
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=423353&posted=1#post423353

Is it me or does the video not exist anymore?

Very Nice and Useful Video Tutorials.

Thanks for giving it!

Hi, Jason.

Great vids. Great effort. Great results.

Could you explain a little how to use the ‘Refract’ and ‘Blur’ buttons in the Draw Palette?

Thanks!

~S.~

Thanks for sharing! But the link can’t be download! :+1: