ZBrushCentral

Zbrush to Maya video tutorial

Hey, Carlsden

You can do 3 things here.

1. Export a lower sudivision from zbrush. A subdivision where the mesh is in the 100-900,000 range. Millions of polys crash Maya, my mesh was like 500,000 polys.

2.Change to Bounding box instead of Smooth/ flat shade all before importing the dense zbrush mesh

1. Break the mesh into pieces and map it piece by piece.

Hi! I just want to thank you for this great movie. You saved me hours, even days of browsing through forums and instructions. Thanks a lot :wink:

I coppied everything you did in the tutorial but I’m getting this problem. Does anyone know what this is? I used Auv to texture. I tried automatic maping in maya and got the same results.

I looks like you didn’t soften the edges on the high-poly mesh before generating displacement map with the surface sampler. Select your high poly mesh, go to Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Soften/Harden and click all soft (180), and apply. I hope this is it…

Hey MASTERSHOKHAN,

thanks for that but i still dont exactly understand what you mean.
Did you mean to
1: import the medium poly model from zbrush to maya?
2. ‘Change to Bounding box instead of Smooth/ flat shade all before importing the dense zbrush mesh’- how do i do this?
3. Break the mesh into pieces and map it piece by piece- how do i do this, and are you refering to the low poly mesh?

thanks

Alright er-body,all I had to do was smooth my normals on my low poly and hi poly before generating the maps.

Carlsden 1.Yes, do import the medium level model from zbrush into Maya. My best results were with test meshes under 100,000k. 2.Also here is a pic of ths bounding box I was talking about in the Maya viewport options.[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/MASTERSHOKHAN/boundingbox.jpg[/img]
  1. BlackNull, another modeler here, breaks his mesh into pieces before taking it to zbrush, to allowing for more detail. Check out his Wolverine thread for more.And don’t forget Rawkstar’s Necromancer.

Hey MASTERSHOKHAN, i just realised that i dont have the surface sampler option as I’m using maya 5. what should i do? vbmenu_register(“postmenu_280330”, true);

Hi.

When I download the zipped folder and go to extract the file, it is empty and I get a message saying there is nothing to extract. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

~S.~

Hi:

Carlsden: If you were using Maya 6 you can use the Transfer Surface Information tool, is the same thing
Alias added some more options and changed the tool’s name for Maya’s 7.0
release. I’m not sure if that was available on Maya 5. Otherwise I would use the Zmapper plugin, it works great. Ryan Kingslien recorded a great video tutorial on it (http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/education/education-zclassroom.html)
SNARK: Sorry to hear that you had problems downloading the tutorial. I just tested the download on IE and Firefox and it opened fine for me at work. I encoded the video with Apple’s H264 encoder, but anyone with quicktime 7 should be able to play it. Try downloading it again and let me know if it dosen’t work, I’ll try to find another way for you to get it.

Sincerely:

Edwin Sumalave
edwin@edwin3design.com
www.edwin3design.com

Thanks, Edwin. It downloaded today and has cleared up a number of issues for me.

~S.~

Thanks for the tutorial :+1: , I love Maya… I think if I’ll have a daughter I’ll call her Maya :slight_smile:

Tomas

HI guys I am having trouble Loading the Pelt plugin for Maya 7.0

i put the plugins in the D:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/bin/plug-ins/")

and also the Icons folder inside the D:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/icons

& i put the scripts in the D:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/scripts folder am i missing somthing??
Below are the instillation notes. yes it’s looks straight forward but i cant seem to get them loaded. Yes i go to plugin manager and load from there. i would realy love to get this plugin working so all /any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

1 thing i do see is a Peltsetup.mll but i cant seem to load it, so where am i supposed to put this file??? also i dont have a “prefs” folder in my main instillation directory but i do have the icon folder there, so no pref folder with a icon folder inside???

instilation notes

1. Place scripts in your maya/x.x/scripts dir

2. Place icon folder in your maya/x.x/prefs/icons dir

3. Place plugins in your plugin path (ex.: “C:/Program Files/Alias/MayaX.X/bin/plug-ins/”)

4. In the Script Editor, type: rehash;
    source peltingToolsSetup.mel;
    peltingToolsSetup;

5. This will create a shelf icon in your current shelf.

I finally got it sorted, i actually had to put the scripts inside the bonus tools scripts directory, This doesnt actually follow the directions for PC but instead it was the install notes for the MAC . Anyways it seemed to work so i will just stick with it lol

I was pulling my hair out there for a while. I spend so many hours trying to unwrap so this will hopefully be a god send.

Thanks for this great script. :smiley:

:cry: sorry but I downloaded the zip file.twice.but it didna work.u know.I extracted it and started to watch it .but no video available.it’s a mov file and I tried to watch it with quick time, real player and etc. but still no video.it has a white bg with the voice but the video not available.can u tell me hoe should I open the video file?

Maybe try vlc player. But the real problem is that u need new codecs

:smiley: thank u.well done.nice tut.and thank u for the advice

Thanks for the kind coments. I encoded the video with Apple’s H264 encoder, but anyone with Quicktime 7 should be able to play it.

Hope it helps

Sincerely

Edwin Sumalave

I cant thank you enough. For all the video’s I have watched on the subject yours was so direct and to the point and worked so good.

Thanks man

Huge props.

That was a first rate vid I learned a lot.I feel less scared by zbrush now and starting to enjoy using it.I am waiting for UT2007 to come out and would love to make a model for it having made a few for ut2004.For ages I have been putting off using zbrush as I got to grips with maya but no more.
Thanks for clearing the fog away.:smiley:

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: