ZBrushCentral

Will Harbottle - Digital Sculpt Thread

Look at all that perfection!

Your work is standout amazing, in a forum full of of outstanding work.

wow, awesome modeling!!!

very exiting modeling…
Really want to see your work flow :roll_eyes:

more more :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

HI
wow, first character (first post) looks freaking awesome !!simply stunning work

cheers :wink:

Hi All! Thanks again for the warm response!

My technique for Sweet Pea’s hair is really pretty low-tech, but I’ll try to put together a little demo this weekend. Glad you guys like it. The real trick was backfilling all the holes so it could be printed. I call this process “caulking”, and I use ZSketch. I just spray a little zsketch foam in all the holes, cracks and deep undercuts, and Bob’s your uncle. Also, the whole front portion of her hair is a seperate piece, and six of the curling strands are seperate pieces that plug into that piece.

No real secret, unfortunately. I use maya alot. For those I just made a cylinder, selected a pattern of faces, and deleted them to make the holes. Then I shrinkwrapped it to the arm using a plugin I found (but you could project it in ZBrush, too), extruded all faces and added some wrinkles. Nothing too fancy.

No polypainting for me. I’m just a sculptor, and I have now idea how to paint. I am, however, trying to get Kat (the woman who painted all the Sucker Punch statues) to lean how to polypaint. She’s been painting prototypes for 12 years or so and reads color theory books for fun!

Oops. I’m still pretty new to this all this. I think I have it fixed now.

These are four inch figures. Iron Man has been out for awhile, and War Machine was shown at Comic Con Last weekend.

Here’s a couple more prototypes for four inch action figures.

[Moderator’s Note: Images removed at studio’s request]

Sorry for the rolling dump of images, but I only have a few minutes a day to go through everything. Thanks again for looking!!!

amazed…

Congratulations Will, it looks amazing!

Looking good!

Can I intern at Gentle Giant? I’m a student right now at LAFS.

Hello Will you can explain ou post any image how to you make joints for this projects ?

Thanks a lot !!! :+1:

damn! this is jaw dropping! love the sculpts…look forward to more :+1:

I had a minute this morning and thought I’d post some progress shots of Sweet Pea at earlier stages. I’m primarily an action-figure designer, so, since this was my first statue (digital OR traditional), I fell back to my comfort zone and started with a doll body I made last year for another project. We tried various outlandish poses, and settled on this more practical one. The coat and all the clothing started out as zsketches over the body. I included the wireframe of the remeshed coat at an early stage. There’s also a close-up of the hair as it started. Simple helixes posed in zbrush. Later I extruded and textured them.

Thanks for all the encouragement! And all the inspiration over the years!!!

Will

roughHair.jpg

roughTurn.jpg

Attachments

roughHair.jpg

roughTurn.jpg

Very nice pose. Simple and accurate. The hair is wonderful. Did you model those spirals by hand? or is there some technique to it? Nice work.

*Edit
I missed the part where you said you used a helix for the hair.

How do you zsketch over the body? I thought you could only zsketch over zspheres?

Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing your process. Brilliant thinking.

amazing…!!

I’m also curious about this?

Great work by the way! I love how she turned out after she got painted on, I bet that’s a good feeling.

Fantastic work!!!

I had a question if you dont mind. How exactly are you making your action figure joints? Do you make these in Zbrush or do you use a differnt program? I would really love any insight on the technique for making articulated figures in Zbrush.

Thanks!

John

Thank you very much for sharing this my friend. its really encouraging work and love the quality of details here:) very n ice. Yes the hair tut will be awesome. Once again thanks for sharing:)