ZBrushCentral

War Machine

Holy crap… THANK YOU for the Top Row! A TON of work and learning went into this project I’m overwhelmed by all of the praise and feedback.

I apologize, I’m eager to dive in and respond to specific questions and comments but I gotta go recharge. I’m running on like zero sleep from spending all night putting the post together. BUT it was important for me to quickly express my sincere gratitude first.

I’m deeply grateful :slight_smile: thank you all, and thanks to Pixologic for their amazing software. Have a good night, be back in a bit.

Amazing sculpt and an amazing video of the process. Thank you!

Wow… no words, just °o°

mind blown.

Whoa! Insane model! It’s great achievement to finish a piece like that!

Just Woaw O_O

Congratulations man

Awesome!

hey dude i love your war machine its incredible, i have just myself started to learn MODO and Zbrush to genarate 3d models for Prototyping any advice on how i could get as good as yourself? any books? tip? ect. love this model mate incredible work i hope i can get some were nere yo0ur level of skill one day

thanks for the inperation

Tom malin

Great job on the sculpt! You speak incredibility well, especially this been your first tut video. Hopefully someone will get in touch to do more awesome tutorials.

Congrats!

Fantastic work and awesome breakdown images and video! Thanks for sharing. And while I wouldn’t do an entire portfolio of fan-art, I think a couple really solid licensed characters are a good thing to have. Maybe it’s just because I come from the toy industry where so much is based on licensed characters, but the ability to create a sculpt that is on model and looks and feels like the character audiences are familiar with is an important skill that not everyone has. So kudos to you and I do look forward to seeing some of your original designs as well!

Awesome, amazing work. Thank you so much for sharing your process behind the work as well.

Really amazing work man, congrat! :+1:

wonderful work!

Beautiful

Incredible! I love it so much. I once tried my hand at modeling Iron Man way back in 2008 I think. I never got further than the head and the chest piece because they were the easiest parts to model (for me personally) at the time.

Congrats on finishing it, and thanks so much for making the original files free to download!

wow I can’t believe you actually uploaded the ztl! I appreciate that a lot! Needlees to say this looks amazing and it’s a very well deserved top row. Those bpr look really good, I never thought you could get that far without using any “proper” render engine
I saw your reel and it surprised me that there was much more particles and stuff related than modeling. Where did this come from then? It can’t be one of your first models…

Hey guys: to all of you who have given me your praise, I truly thank you again. I’ve had a lot of guidance along the way, and it’s my pleasure to pay it forward with the model download and tutorials.

-Storm-
Fredi! Thanks bro. It finally came together. I’ve been keeping up with your stuff! Love what you’ve been doing lately.

gabo1991
Paul I really can’t thank you enough, you know I will. Can’t wait to get my hands on 64 bit

twf152
Below are dl links for the lightcap & background image, and max file with the rig. As far as the complexity of the rig goes, I only really spent time on areas requiring proof of concept. The rest of it was just sort of roughed out and linked to the biped. The feet were a little tricky too. If I was to actually rig this for animation, there’s much I’d do differently. But for what I needed, it did the job. I’d love to hear ideas from others on what way they think would be best to fully rig this guy.

As for your Zdepth question, BPR doesn’t have an option (that I know of) for exporting out whole zdepth sequences from the timeline. Just for stills. And yeah I probably could have used the flat material, but I was so involved with tweaking the basic shader settings throughout the project that I guess I was too lazy to do the simpler thing lol. If there is a proper procedure for exporting Zdepth sequences from BPR, I’d love to know it.

Lightcap
https://www.hightail.com/<wbr>download/<wbr>UlRURkJkQ1IwZ21VbDhUQw
Rig
https://www.hightail.com/<wbr>download/<wbr>UlRURkJkQ1J6NE5BSXRVag

TanTeckWeng
Such a great compliment, thank you so much. I’m fascinated with with filmmaking from writing, to art direction, to directing and it was a ton of fun trying to inject a little more drama and atmosphere into the animation to make it more like a teaser trailer rather than a straightforward turntable.

protonium
As an avid top row fan, THANKS!

strob
Strob I’ve loved your iron baby for a long while! Thank you! I lost track a while ago exactly how many parts this beast has lol And yeah, it was a long process getting it to the level I wanted, but I learned a ton that I plan on applying to future projects, so the rewards are two-fold. Yay fanart :slight_smile:

Malin
a.) Find a great teacher if you can b.) Learn to love brutal criticism c.) Work your f***ing ass off :wink:

Seriously, I’ve been crazy lucky to have some of the best in the business as mentors, and with all the time and guidance they’ve given me, I’ve tried to repay them by listening and just getting better. With this war machine project, I treated it like I had been hired by Marvel. I put a lot of thought into how to elevate traits of the character I found appealing by injecting verisimilitude. If you’re just starting out though, I’d say just have fun for a while and get comfortable with the software until it becomes second-nature. Focus on making really cool simple things. Then gradually increase in complexity. Like if you’re modeling a head, be sure the basic proportions are perfect before adding things like eyelashes and skin pores. All the detail in the world won’t save a piece with a garbage foundation. Also, when it comes to original design, one of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received was that I should just get interested in everything. Learn as much as you can about literally everything (science, politics, religion, history, engineering, love, friendship, everything.) Adopt a mindset for critical thinking. For one thing, you’ll get smarter. But what I’ve also found is that the more curious I’ve become, the more ideas I get. Hope this helps. If you ever need any critique or other tips, shoot me a PM.

johnchen
Thanks! Yeah I was a little apprehensive about doing a VO tutorial vid at first… but I loved making it and hope to do more. I’d love to get involved doing tuts professionally on the side if that’s an actual thing.

Chief71
Thanks chief! I’m raring to go on original stuff. It’s fascinating to have a toy industry professional’s perspective. It’s funny- years ago Mcfarlane Toys contacted me after viewing online a physical bust I did of the Joker. They had me do a test sculpt of a hockey player’s head and glove in a wax material I had never used before… Didn’t get the job lol. Aren’t most toys designed in CG and 3d printed these days?

Joel Gafford
You’re welcome! I had no idea how to hard surface model when I started WM. My fiance will tell you how stubborn I can be though, and I just sort of stuck with it in my spare time and learned what I needed to learn in order to match what was on the screen to what was in my mind. Kinda had to if I wanted to make a living doing this kind of stuff :slight_smile:

Cuvey
You callin’ BPR improper? :slight_smile: I could have used keyshot but I was curious to see how far I could push it in Zbrush.

And yeah good question about my reel… That reel is from a four year senior staff tenure at my first studio gig here in NYC. I was hired in 2007 presumably as a character artist based on my first zbrush image. I was self taught in Zbrush 3.1 enough to make a bust, but that was the sum total of CG skill I had at the time. Characters ended up taking a back seat to keeping my job- cutting my teeth on the tools and projects of the studio and learning how to live in NYC. As it turned out, my employers were really just looking for young talent to help execute their brilliant, abstract, design visions. Cool characters- not so much. Four years later, I had an on-the-job CG education which I’ve been able to carry over into my personal projects, and a demo reel of particles and stuff lol. Well it’s 2014, I’m now a freelancer, and I want to get back into character art with a vengeance :slight_smile: Hope that answers your question.

Thanks again everyone, catch you all later

Great work.
I really like that you took the time to do some behind the scenes as well.
Very useful :slight_smile:

OMG thank you so much for the lightcap AND the rig, you are awesome!

I’ll give a 3D print a go next week and post back - just waiting for my new dual extruder to arrive for the Taz4 - this one’s going to need dissolvable supports (no way I’d want to try it without them).

Attachments

3dRIFFS.Twitter.Profile-05.png