ZBrushCentral

Tutorial - EZ Zsphere Hand - Good Topography

Haha, sounds a bit complicating but Ill have to have another go at it. Ive tried messing with the zsphere resolution settings a bunch of times but Im always kind of blindly changing the resolution settings.

Well that’s it. I understand the OP’s principle here, but I’ve been playing with the ZSphere resolutions to try and get a handle on it and frankly so far it’s hit and miss with the kind of control he has escaping me. I’m certainly impressed (and envious) of his evident mastery of this trick…

Here’s what I’ve got so far.
Once you learn how it’s done you get used to it. But I can say that I wouldn’t think about approaching hand modelling this way if someone hasn’t told me how it’s done

[attach=86209]hands2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

hands2.jpg

I’m impressed. My attempts are wildly disproportionate…I’ll have to go at it again…

I just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial. This has given me the best results for hand topology so far compared to the other methods. Great job!!

I cant quite get used to the process of this technique. I wish there was a video tutorial on this; it might be easier to follow. I have tried a method by Ryan Kingslien, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK81ZsLKXwY&feature=user and it works decently well.

Just download the ZSphere Tweaks plugin here:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=3405&page=8&pp=15&highlight=zsphere+hands

That should allow you to change the X,Y, and Z resolutions. I hope that helps a bit. :slight_smile:

Ryan Kingslien has a video tutorial on the creation of hands with ZSpheres over at Gnomonology.

This said: thanks for this tutorial also!
The more the merrier.

OK, I know this thread is old, but I have to know, is this model generated with JUST z-spheres or is there scultping on top of what the zSphere give you (going crazy here trying to figure out how you got this hand with just zSpheres).

ZSphere Hand topology is definitely doable entirely in ZSpheres, and once you grasp the principles, its a relatively straightforward procedure. Its worth putting the effort into ZSphere study, its an excellent tool for setting up complex model topology correctly.
(With the added bonus of being able to pose the model while retaining that topology!)

Hello dreidrage.
There’s added sculpting to get the shape of the hand. There’s no reason to get the exact shape of the hand with zspheres. You get the basic shape and then you move things around to get them where you want. This is where polygroups helped a lot.

There’s also another way which I prefer. The screenshot is taken from the Kurv studios DVD “Get into Zbrush”

[attach=108273]KurvHand.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

KurvHand.jpg