ZBrushCentral

Thread Regarding Maxon Transition

We are now able to provide more information.

The official announcement is found here.

There is also a comprehensive FAQ.

Please understand that the ZBrush team was legally prohibited from working with Maxon in any way until the acquisition had been approved. This means that we are still very early in the transition and there are a great many details that still need to be worked out.

The FAQ above provides all of the answers that we are able to provide at this time. We cannot yet answer any questions or provide details beyond what is given in the FAQ.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I wish all the staff at Pixologic well with this new change, but I think many end users (maybe I’m wrong and it’s just me) will be apprehensive of any change to a company and software that has such a great reputation for looking after their users, and I hope ZBrush doesn’t go down the path of subscriptions or expensive annual updates. I know it sounds selfish and/or greedy, but Pixologic still lists on the Buy page that “The official policy is that we guarantee free upgrades for one year from date of purchase. However, in practice we have actually never charged for an upgrade in 22 years.” My first though after this announcement is, well, they will now! As a hobiest not a professional making money from using ZBrush, thank you for having had this policy for as long as you have at least.

I hope that it does not stop production and development of ZBrush Core (and mini) too, as these are great ways for hobbiest artists and people starting out to use.

I wish you all well, but will be very nervous what the future holds.
At least it’s not Autodesk I guess.

Good luck and best wishest to all the team at Pixologic!

11 Likes

Feels really bad man, I have been such a heavy advocate for ZBrush, swearing by the steep price point. But I fear that this will be yet another software. I truly hope ZBrush, the program that made me fall in love with sculpting and digital art as a whole will continue to be the shining example of how a software company can do right by their consumers and still be successful.

Please dont make me learn blender

10 Likes

Well, that makes me sad. I have always appreciated Pixologic and their business model. For that , I am truly grateful. I am sad, because I feel that this spells the end of the ZBrush perpetual license. I don’t like subscription fees and I never have. I think it’s highway robbery if you are just a hobbyist. It’s alright for companies I guess as it would just be a write-off anyway. I am also wondering what is going to happen to the ZBrush community, aka ZBrush Central. I have grown very fond of this forum and can honestly say, contributed much over the years. I fear that things here will never be the same. It’s like losing an old friend.

9 Likes

Hello! the people who have the perpetual license will still have updates?

3 Likes

For a 12 months from initial purchase, probably yes, but beyond that we can only speculate. But I don’t think we’re the only people who are concerned that things will change.
I’m surprised how few people have commented here so far, when there is a busy set of replies over on Youtube…

And I’m sure there will be more and more places start discussing this.

4 Likes

As a HUGE Zbrush/Pixologic Fanboy, i must say this has absolutely Gutted me. not only are free updates likely Gone, especially since it wasn’t even in the questions, but Zbrush will probably be Sub only in the near future, and EXTREMELY Expensive, just like Cinema 4D is. i truly felt Pixologic was one company i could count on, without any issues… but now, i wish i hadn’t of bought my license or even started to learn it 4 years ago. i wish i had just stuck with Blender. i don’t know how anyone at Pixologic could see this as a good thing.

7 Likes

Its just sad, man. Just sad.

6 Likes

I keep writing and deleting how I feel.

• Sad, worried
  • Angry
  • Happy only if you all retire and go live a happy life somewhere somehow away from all this.
8 Likes

Boy, you’re eagerly optimistic…

Will perpetual licenses continue?

Yes, we are anticipating that perpetual licenses will continue.

“Anticipating” is the key word. That’s a guess–not a guarantee.

Besides, there are more aspects about acquisition to be concerned about here, such as quality control and making life harder for non-Maxon-product users for a competitive edge.

I can’t think of a single major acquisition in the history of 3D software that has ever been for the better.

This is just like when Microsoft acquired TrueSpace, Autodesk acquired Softimage|XSI and Mudbox, Adobe acquired Mixamo and Substance suites, etc.

I would’ve sooner preferred Pixologic to make me buy ZBrush 2022 as a paid upgrade, than to see the whole software acquired by Maxon.

I hate to sound like a downer around here, but no good ever comes out of major acquisitions, in the world of DCC software.

I see no reason to be optimistic here. Personally, I’m depressed over this news. Just depressed.

11 Likes

This is heart breaking.
I’d love to be cheery and optimistic about this, but history shows these acquisitions never ever lead to anything good, let alone better. There’s always the “Don’t worry, all great, nothing major will change…” and then the opposite happens.

Of course Ofer and everyone else involved in putting unbelievable effort into making Zbrush what it is today deserve all the rewards and money they can get. I really hope Maxon paid a ton and I will also always be thankful for what Pixologic did for so many years.

The thing is though, personally this isn’t just about money for me. For a long time I actually wished Pixo would charge for upgrades. It would only have been fair and I wanted them to be safe and - that’s the key- remain independent.
Apart from Zbrush being a very unique app, it is also Pixologic that has for so long been a very unique Company like no other. I’m not a brand guy, I neither feel the slightest emotional attachment to Microsoft, nor Apple, Adobe, whoever, whatever. I think it’s ridiculous to get emotional about companies, because at the end of the day it’s simply business and a question of do I get what I pay for and does it fit my requirements.

With Pixologic however it was different. If there ever has been a company I felt genuine sympathy and loyalty for it was them and for a reason. Especially when many years ago I was lucky and honoured to be part of the beta testing for 2 releases, which gave me the opportunity to hear Ofer Alon talk about what he is working on in late night online meetings. The completely real, genuine passion and joy of working on enabling and supporting artistic creativity and freedom with his tools was tangible, when listening to him. The man is an absolute legend. In my humble opinion he did more good for the creative world and was responsible for more truly ground-breaking innovation than any Steve Jobs could have bragged about.
And add to that their decades long loyalty to even the earliest users with amazing update after update, the community they established, the People officially representing Zbrush with heart and soul in the most loveable unconventional way - Yes Paul Gaboury, I’m raising a cup of coffee you won’t ever drink, to your glory - and even the quirky interface.

All of it made Pixologic so unique and as much as I wish them the best out of this deal, it will never be that company again under Maxon.
That’s simply sad no matter what. As I said already, I would have much preferred to pay for upgrades, even buy a full version again, whatever it takes, if it would mean that I’m paying Pixologic only and not Maxon or anyone else.
For me personally it has never been just about the money/free upgrades, but about the unique position Pixologic represented in an otherwise very corporate plain business world.
Alas, as they say, all good things come to an end. I’ll keep an open mind and an eye on Zbrush, - how could I not- but I consider this an end of a marvellous era and how much that will turn into a new beginning, I can’t tell yet.

Regardless of what is to come though, thank you so much Pixologic for all the years of creative joy, laughs, surprises, software miracles and wonders.

18 Likes

I’ve had my license since version 3. It is sad for me to see this happen. I was an XSI user. I think this was going to eventually happen. And I understand that they will make more money with a subscription service. I am a person that needs their life to be uncomplicated. There is no subscription price that will make subscriptions okay for me. I would rather deal with the inconvenience of learning something else. I do appreciate all of the handwork the pixologic team has put into making zbrush what it is today. I wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

3 Likes

Don’t be shy folks. Let your opinion be heard, one way or another. That’s what this topic is for.

7 Likes

How do we download our license to our machine so we can still use the last good version of Zbrush before Maxon switches to subscription? We can still use this version indefinatly right? I’d like to be able to use zbrush without being online and without having to connect to the server to check my license. I’d like my license to be on my machine.

8 Likes

I loved Cinema 4d from Maxon. I owned it many years ago until it was moved way out of reach cost wise. (I got into it because of a free version they gave away on a magazine cd. I upgraded to a full version shortly after. Then the investment cost just flew out of reach and so I moved on. Shame really as the interface just clicked with me and even now I have a quick look around the maxon site from time to time and dream. lol. (I dont and never will subscribe for software. Stubborn maybe. :slight_smile: I would rather save and purchase it later.

Zbrush 2 was initially purchased for me by one of my Aunts and I ended up paying to have a mac version later on. I have used it for illustrations and my own little games that I used to make. Still love it.

I was always surprised by the free upgrades. Never made sense but of course I was never going to say no.

I can only hope that it all ends up working out for most people/artists and not just for a few privileged folks at the end of the day.

I guess we will wait and see.

5 Likes

I’m really scared. I’m not a professional 3D artist, but I’ve always been a serious 3d hobbyist, and I’ve wanted to have this software since I was a kid. I have watched this forum for almost 15 years with great interest. A year ago, I finally raised my money to buy a full Zbrush. Now I’m not certain about the future.

I think it is a great software, with the best community, and really great people behind it. I would be really interested in paying for the upgrades, but if the prices will cross certain threshold (from what I saw Maxon’s prices, it is very likely to happen), I won’t be able to continue with my hobby (at least in a way that I imagined till now).

I believe that this software gains a lot from very active community full of big players in the industry, freelancers and hobbyists exchanging their thoughts and experience.

I know it is all-business in the end, but I believe, that if not for these people, Zbrush wouldn’t achieve its greatness.

I don’t want to say “RIP Zbrush” yet, I really don’t see any good alternative for digital sculpting software. And I want to believe that future prices will be achievable by me. But I have a lot of concerns about it.

(Sorry if my English sucks, speaking out of heart :slight_smile: with a little language skills)

3 Likes

I literally use Zbrush every day for work and have loved it since 2.5. If this goes like so many other company buys, it will, at the very least, raise the cost of doing business for me and that blows. There’s no part of it that doesn’t suck. I’ve evangelized the hell out of Pixologic for nearly 20 years. This is sickening to me and I’ll be bracing for impact with bad times to come until I see some proof to expect otherwise.

5 Likes

I just thought. Will they give us C4D lite to play with… lol

1 Like

Howdy Pixolator, Aurick and the gang,
I’ve been off and on here since Lord of the Rings came out and ZBrush was really showcased to the world. I have enjoyed this software for so many years now it’s hard to remember not being able to sculpt directly on a model. But not only has the software been a modern marvel, the company Pixologic, has been a beacon of how awesome a software company can be. It truly has been great working with Pixologic over the years.

I don’t know what the motivation is behind this, maybe personal and if that is the case I wish everyone involved well. But I can’t help but think this is the last time we’ll see an independent software company that actually cares about it’s customers. I don’t know much about Maxon or their software but I can’t imagine they will compare to this relationship.

But who knows. I’ll be optimistic for now.
ZBrush was the game changer. The incredible CG that has become commonplace now is because of ZBrush. As a freelance artist, I cannot stress how grateful I have been for the free updates I’ve received since v2.0.

Thanks,
Wyatt Harris

7 Likes

I come from the other side a bit… Cinema 4D was the first 3D program I learned many years ago and then I started incorporating Zbrush about 5-6 years ago into my work. I for one can tell you that I am thrilled about this because MAXON is a great company with many talented developers who I know. I think many people think MAXON is a huge company like Adobe or Autodesk but I can assure you they are literally not even close.

Personally I’m excited about the development advancements that will come out of this hopefully. Think about the animation capability’s of C4D combined with the amazing tools inside of Zbrush. Not mention the ridiculous amount of 3D party render engine support inside of Cinema 4D. Thinking of Corona and Arnold specifically. They have some of the best integration in Cinema 4D.

Along with all this there are definitely areas where Zbrush could improve tremendously. Looking at you (UX)… But at the end of the day the last thing anyone wants is Pixologic to go bust because of their incredibly generous pricing model.

I’m just hoping for the best and that MAXON can give all resources Pixologic needs to make Zbrush even better than it already is. Lastly I really think we may be surprised at how they handle any changes to the pricing models.

5 Likes