ZBrushCentral

(Stan Winston) T-Rex - Work in Progress

Hi everyone!

I just started working on a T-Rex based on Stan Winston’s design for the original JP. Still very early on the sculpting stages. I’ve mainly just done proportional sculpting and some minor detailing.

Crits and feedback are more than appreciated! I want to make this as awesome as it can be!

• Ralph

Attachments

T-Rex-WIP-ZBC.jpg

Awesome work already, really great sculpt and the proportions are great!
That is how my trex should have looked like :smiley:
Looking forward seeing the end result, will be fantastic!
Best regards and happy sculpting,

• Kenny :slight_smile:

Lookin Awesome man, can’t wait to see it finished

@ Kenny: Thanks sir! You are always far too kind!

@ Jutsu: Thank you very much!

very pretty, gonna look nice when you add skin detail

Thanks Framedworld! :slight_smile: Can’t wait to get into all that skin detail :slight_smile:

For now, still overall roughing out of his proportions but having loads of fun doing it!

Here’s another pic:
r-facezbc.jpg

I really liked that first image you posted, because it looked, initially, like a really delicate sketch and not a 3d model. At that stage, it had subtle visual suggestions, and massive, easy to read shapes.

No doubt about it, tons of detail and skin texture is fun to do, and fun to look at. But there was something different about that one preview image, something nice.

This is going to be fabulous when you’re done, so I don’t mean to imply that you shouldn’t be noodling up the beast. I do have one suggestion regarding detail, however. I think you’ve jump to the tiniest level of details too soon. You’ve gone from massive bulky shapes to the smallest scales and bumps without first laying in big skin folds, small skin folds, large scales for spacing, etc. Maybe back out of the tiny stuff for now and work your way down to it, if you know what I mean…

Hey Wetterschneider!

Firstly, thank you so much for the kind words and constructive criticism. I completely agree! And I wasn’t going to make that jump immediately. I definitely intend on spending enough time on his overall (larger) structural detail before hopping in and doing scales, bumps and all sort of of micro-detailing. I completely agree that that often muffles the overall sculpt if done too soon.

So you have my word that I will be working my way up to that stage! :slight_smile: I just felt that I needed to express that it is on my mind, as I am anxious to get in there and carve some cool scales and I also didn’t want people to think that my T-Rex would stay all smooth :slight_smile:

Again, thank you so much!

• Ralph

Here’s some more progress on the T-Rex! :slight_smile:
Rex Face.jpg

Foxhound this is looking great. I envy your skill while aspiring to do half as well. Keep posting!

Thank you so much for the kind words Voodoodad! :slight_smile:

excellent work !!!

Love where your going with this. On a scientific note…twist those palms in to face each other…new theories based on a better understanding of wrist bone alignment … Looking very cool

That is AWESOME! :+1:

@ ministerart: Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, and I really appreciate the anatomical pointers! Will definitely be twisting those palsm in more!

@ Santis: Glad you like him so far! :slight_smile:

I was having some fun with the render in Photoshop and was experimenting with painting in some more gray scale values to get a more textured look. Here’s the result:

Rex Face 2 copy.jpg

Back to Zculpting! :slight_smile:

Looking cool, I like the eye in the previous image better.I still can’t believe Stan is gone.

Thanks so much Rick! You’re truly an inspiration :slight_smile: I totally agree about the previous eye, was looking at it after I had posted it. Thanks for the feedback!

I also can’t believe Stan is gone. He definitely has left his mark on all of us though! I don’t think that there is a living soul on the planet that has not seen one of the movies he’s worked on and witnessed the creatures he’s made come alive- Truly a genius!

I can just concur, but totally love your work on the trex, really a fantastic piece of work. great and gentle skin detailing:+1:small_orange_diamond:)
Can’t wait seeing this one finished, are you going to texture him aswell?
Cheers,

• Kenny:)

Thanks Kenny! You are too kind!

Definitely am planning on texturing him, I already started messing around with some rough colors/pallettes. Here’s a quick real-time render from the 3ds MAX viewport:
Real-time Rex.jpg

I’m constantly switching back and forth between MAX and ZBrush to make sure the UVs are doing their job. From this preliminary test, it looks like the normals translated well :slight_smile:

Still lots of skin detailing to do, I also want to get more into the folds of his neck, and the rest of his body (I always get so focused on the head :stuck_out_tongue: )

More updates soon!

• R.