ZBrushCentral

Sketchbook - Mine.

I really like the style and the organic shapes, feels like it was done in actual clay.

Love all the sculpts here specially the hand and moon man! Try using a mirror for your hand don’t want to mess you most awesome of tools up sculpting them lol.<object type=“cosymantecnisbfw” cotype=“cs” id=“SILOBFWOBJECTID” style=“width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;”></object>

While I don’t have a mirror I don’t know why that never occurred to me. Of course most days I can’t figure out why the blinds across the room won’t close to stop the sun from blinding me so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Thanks!

As I’m pretty much done with composers for now, I guess I’ll transfer to my general sketchbook thread. I had sculpted an indian rhino a long while back, it was actually my first real sculpt for an assignment (and the only one I’ve really done in Mudbox) but my employer wanted to reuse it for a nice plate. I’ll be doing two versions, one with just the head and one with the entire body. This is obviously just the head (for the rhino’s sake I hope so) but it was a fun project. I couldn’t think of a background because the perspective pretty much rules out everything but I made a nice frame and then slaved away at leaves which are definitely not my thing yet. I redetailed the entire head to be much better than it used to be too.

Anyway, here’s the render of the piece and the plate by itself. Enjoy!

Rhino_Head.jpg
Rhino_Head_Base.jpg

Really nice work here!

Finally got around to finishing the leg sculpt and rendering the older torso model that I had done for Eaton’s course. Taking my sweet time on the course but at least I’m getting it done.

Here’s the straight leg and cutaway. I think the hardest part for me was figuring out where to float the hips since I didn’t have the rest of the body.

The bent leg was a challenge as I’m pretty sure I’m terrible at getting things right on the first try. Luckily I get to make many many tries until I get it right (ish).

The same renders without their base layer to see the layering in the file. I think it looks cool.

These torsos troubled me because I couldn’t figure out how to render them all without having an excessive pose sheet. They were part of an exercise in scapulo-humeral rhythm.
Had some good experiments while layering the bases in photoshop and came up with this nice material.

Enjoy!

1 Like

And then there were the goofier renders and the gifs. I’m not sure if gifs upload properly so we’ll see.

These are little animated versions of the torso so you can see the actual deformations going on beyond the simple raising of the arms.
Shoulder-Rhythm_Front2.gif
Shoulder-Rhythm_Back2.gif
Because I can. That’s why.

excellent work and very cool gif

GREAT works man … i dig it …

and YEA U CAN !!

Amazingly great!
Am so jealous I could cry, LOL ;).

I was updating my portfolio over the weekend and I made a few extra renders so I could add some much needed variety to it. Here’s a few stylized characters I’ve made.

Lori Lawson, for the Superman: Origins animated fan film. Concept by Ben Cloutier.

First attempt converting a single line nose cartoon into an actual nose.
Lori_Head_Front.jpg

Character for a friend of mine. Concept by Meghan Boehman.

Shoes!
VJs_Shoes.jpg

I decided to cope with my inability to find good presents by sculpting half of my gifts this year. I’ve not done that much with 3d printing yet so I’m not amazing at knowing where to stop but I did better with each sculpt. i based them all on my sketches.

This one was probably the most fun. I still think every character I do is “my first real character” because I improve every time I do one.
I went with whatever thought was in my head and ended up with this old man carrying a book of ‘science’. I have no explanation but I
love how he turned out.

These cats were the first ones I sculpted. Considering that I was printing small (2-3 inches max) I actually stopped before I went too detailed on it.
I was inspired my own mischievous cats of course.

I decided to sculpt my sister’s dog for her birthday and Christmas (back to back) so I went further with the details on it.

I have two more pending (round 2) after I get a chance to see how these ones turned out.

Happy holidays everyone! I think they’re mostly over now.

Haven’t really done a random sculpt in awhile. I tried not to look at references for his skin so I could see how well I was doing without as much help. I really liked how it turned out, though I wish I had some idea where I wanted to take it to give it more character.

I’m in between projects so I was messing with sculpting in relief without worrying about doing it right and I went with a nice toad. I couldn’t figure out a nice alpha to use for making the warts since they’re in relief AND in foreshortened perspective so I masked off a bunch of circles for most of them (which was easier to make stretched circles) and then inflated and built them outward. For the rest I just paid close attention to the skin in the picture I was using.
I liked how it turned out so I went ahead and painted it for practice (realizing that most of my models aren’t painted).

wow, i missed a lot! they are all great, but these cats are one of the most beatiful animal sculpture i have seen! such dynamic, so much character in the sculpts. simply wonderful!!

Thanks! I’m glad you liked the cats, they were really fun to make. Sifted through your recent work as well, it’s all looking amazing. I love the baby sculpt, especially the cloth details on the back blanket.

I was going to just practice relief sculpting with this one but, as always, I decided I also needed to practice the next phase of production and so on until I had accidentally spent all week on it.

I’ve got a folder full of interesting portraits sitting on my desktop and this was one of my favorites. I thought it would work really well in relief since everything was in the same plane of perspective and it was already framed and flattened to a photo. I tried to use the same mesh throughout so that I didn’t have as many faces on the back as on the front (which happens when you dynamesh) and so I could use divisions but this eventually led me to constantly fight the geometry as I tried to get the most out of each subdivision. In the end, the only place that was really lacking geometry near the final passes was the man’s face which turned out fine anyway.

The hands and faces were the main focus for me and I had to push and pull for a very long time to get them just right. Even if they look fine from the front, the fact that the top plane of the hand is shallower than it is tall gets complicated with such organic forms. It is probably much easier to completely avoid detailing until later but still use a higher subdivision level so that you can carve clean planes and edges for later. I also found that if I didn’t enforce limits to the depth it just wouldn’t work at all. When I tried pulling his knees out a smidgen it made his head look turtled down onto his shoulders.

I did have to overlay the picture to get the main proportions a few times, looking too closely at details tends to make it hard to see those. It’s a challenge just to render reliefs sometimes. You really have to force the materials and balance the physically accurate with the cavity and matcaps to get something that both shows the details and gives a sense of a real object.

This one’s mostly a depth render so you can see more or less what I’ve done with it. I kept some of the render passes on to keep it interesting but you get the idea.
TheOldCouple_Depth.jpg
And because I was messing around with it, here’s a more coppery material.
TheOldCouple_Metal_small.jpg
Lastly, I was keeping some progress renders so I turned them into a quick gif to show you that it really does look pretty hideous for the first fifty million hours and then it just sort of magically turns out when I make the detail pass if I’ve done my homework and created a good base to work with.
TheOldCouple_GifMaker.gif

I didn’t look up the source of the photo beforehand except to make sure I had the biggest copy of it but it’s documented as “A Veteran with his Wife” by an anonymous photographer. They’ve got more than enough expression in their faces to easily make up your own story for them though.
Here is the original.

again, woderful! oh, i love your relief portraits, and this one is so finely captured! …thank you also for sharing the progress animation, it shows well how sensible relief are wrt to readibility.

Mind blowing! Now all you need in a CNC machine or a 3d printer. These relief pieces would be really cool printed!

Ben, the work is just gorgeous! I love to distraction. )))
Cute characters. Nice details.

Sincerely Leo.