ZBrushCentral

Scary Toons (Round Two)

Take all the time you need :wink: I don’t want to hurry you. I was not attacking Mickael personnaly, I was talking about an attitude.
Sorry for this, I didn’t want to be rude.

Thanks for the walk-through! :slight_smile:

:grimacing: fantastic work and genius characteres…:+1: I like them verymuch

Ralf, :+1:

Is there more to come?
Thanks,

Just trying to figure out the techniques that Ralf Stumpf, Seb, and some other very precise sculpters use for mech and exoskeleton effects.

MechSculpt.jpg

From observing them and asking questions, I’ve discovered that there is no super-secret simple technique, nor is there an absolute requirement for massive polygon counts. It all comes down to mastering all the techniques available and using them where suitable in the construction of your design.

This is a simple polysphere divided to only 1.5 million polys and adding things like complex seams, bolt-patterns, speaker grille, and other designs. No mesh inserts, subtools, or custom bases produced in external software. (Obviously, subtools and custom bases are key to more advanced designs! I was just seeing what was possible with a single polysphere tool.)

The one problem I ran into at only 1.5 million polys is something I call poly-aliasing, which is the ZBrush 3D equivalent of pixel-aliasing. This tool looks fine on a 960-pixol-height document after it as been AAHalfed down to 480. It still looks pretty good after doubling the document size and doing AAHalf on that, resulting in a final of 960 pixels, but you can make out some ‘poly-aliasing’. Any larger, and the poly-aliasing is just too apparent. Obviously, dividing to 6 million polys will allow a much larger final image that is still free of discernable poly-aliasing. Then to reduce poly-aliasing even farther, retopping to add more polys at areas that have been extremely distorted, and then projecting, as Ralf shows above.

really helpful

Hello and thanks for comments.

Working on a new toon called “FunBot”. Hope you like it.

Cheers

Ralf Stumpf

FunBotDocu#1.jpg

I don’t know, he seems too sad to be a fun bot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice work; keep it up. :slight_smile: :+1:

héhé,looks kinda cute,but he does looks kinda sad,dousn’t he?

ow yeah,before i forget,please keep them amazing materials coming!!!:smiley:

Hello and thanks for comments.

Here is the final “FunBot” a new member of the “Scary Toons” crew.
And yes he is kind of sad because he was build as a fun bot but as he was
a little bot his dream was to be a action bot.
Hope you like it.

Cheers

Ralf Stumpf

FunBot#1.jpg

It’s good. Perhaps he will get that upgrade to Action Bot later in life. :cry:

Another Piece of Art Ralf!!!
Tuto-rial! Tuto-rial! Tuto-rial!

:+1: :smiley: :+1:

“action” is soo overrated !..you should code your Bot a patch to make him happy again :smiley:
You are the “King of the Cean Lines” Ralf…And “master of the Solid Edge !”

jantim

Well at least he’s not a Pleasure-Bot, then I’d order a recall!! :wink:

As always - excellent work!

Sigh… so much character! I just look at him and want to cheer him up. :+1: :+1:

I can understand you want to keep your secrets; you have a truly unique style. But it would be great if you could just show us how you get those crisp lines… (yes: we are almost begging now. :laughing: )

Crisplines are probably done with another 3d programe.
if i want sharp(ish) edges, i would give them a a round edge…even tho it’s a very very small round edge…but when you import it into zbrush…and subdivide…it will pretty much leave that area of the edge the way it is.(hoping this fellow will come out saying"thats not how you do it…and spills the beans :smiley:

SpiderGirlIcon.jpg

Attachments

SpiderGirlBig.jpg

As the same… Fantastic Work!!! I really love your style Ralf!!! :smiley:
Very nice colours and volumes…:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Ciao!

these are all so very cool. the bot reminds me a little of c3-po–like it’s his little (sad) brother. i don’t blame ralf for not spillin’ how he creates that crispness in zbrush. he has a style of his own and it works great! IMO the best way is to just practice and try to figure out the methods rather than immediately asking for tutorials. might just learn a lot! :+1:

love the spider! But especially the expression in it’s victim’s eyes :smiley: :+1: Great stuff Ralf!