ZBrushCentral

Scared Silly Entry by Rory Little

very interesting material yo use in the competition i find it unique very nice models :slight_smile:

Thank you UncleZ!

I have finished with the manā€™s fingers and sized down the hands a trifle. Iā€™d wanted them big and expressive, but that was too much.

I also have increased the size of the rubber bat and rotate-shifted the man further to the left to make way for it; I wanted for viewers to be in no doubt that this was a toy bat. These changes are not reflected in this picture.

R

ScaredSillyRenderPassTest06.jpg

I really do like this work Rory_L. Looking forward to the final piece.

Really interesting look

very nice Rory_L

best luck

Thank you guys!

The timing is looking safer to me now and I can consequently start to enjoy myself a bit more. Deadline anxiety was gripping me till I got the hands and shirt done yesterday. Iā€™ve set my computer clock to U.S. Pacific Time so that I donā€™t over run.

Hereā€™s the image with the enlarged bat.

I made the trouser cuffs by adding edge loops to the ankles, masking and inflating. Pics to follow.

Good luck all!

R

ScaredSillyRender_08.jpg

ā€œDeadline anxiety was gripping me till I got the hands and shirt done yesterdayā€

I so know where youā€™re coming from, Iā€™ve had nights where I canā€™t sleepā€¦well when I eventually do actually go to bed that is. But I then lay there thinking ā€œoh no Iā€™ve still got to do that and this andā€¦ahhhhhā€

I really like your style by the way. Reminds me very much of an etching.

Pete B

Really fresh style, bravo! :+1: :+1:

Very nice. :+1:

A very clever perspective view, nice and clean modeling in an uncommon linoleum-cut-like finish.
Very beautiful. I think this will be ranked high at the end.
Maybe try a very subtile and slight coloration with ZBrushā€™s 2D-Painting-options on the final picture to enhance some aspects that will be lost in a grayscale-technique.
Like the after-colorated black&white-movies from the 20ā€™ths.

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Rastaman, thatā€™s a great idea. Indeed, I had been thinking that if I had the time Iā€™d like to experiment with some subtle and rather sloshy watercoloury tinting. The linework would hold the image together and the bleeding colouring would add a dreamy quality, perhaps. Iā€™d have to try it to know for sure.

Cheers,

R

You maintained the feel of the sketch very well! :+1: Looking forward to the color.

Arrgh! I missed the last few posts you made! Been so busy I missed the email notification!

THIS LOOKS GREAT! I love the style of this. itā€™s comming together nicely. well done!

Again, thank you guys! Feels wonderful to be so supported.

Hereā€™s the finished modelling, one in the B&W style and one a very quick, er, hasty coloured version. Subtler might be betterā€¦I miss the uncompromising quality of the monochrome one.

Here also is the screen grab showing what I did to get the jeans cuffs.

Cheers,

R

ScaredSillyRenderPassTest09.jpg

Attachments

ScaredSillyRenderPassTest10.jpg

Man03.jpg

A very original working method - very nice indeed.

good work! I kinda like the color one.

Saquatch, so do I on reflection, but Iā€™m still torn. Shader enhancing the coloured one to highlight important areas like the fellaā€™s eyes was good and Iā€™ll keep that, should I go for colour or not.

Mark, cheers! Iā€™m just sorry there isnā€™t a Boozy entry in this shindig; something like your zombie elephant would have enriched the competition.

The manā€™s pate was not sufficiently full of polys for hair making, so I isolated those polys, (easy, as Iā€™d retained the edge loop polygroups) and extracted them with no edge thickness to a new subtool, which could then be more highly subdivided.

The entire scalp object was masked and then I unmasked dots all across it, using Alpha 23, the crisp random dots alpha.

After that it was a simple matter of applying judicious amounts of the deformers Inflate, Smooth and Gravity to pull the hair out from the head, smooth it off a bit and make it reach for the sky.

Since the scalp tool had been extracted from te rest of the head at te headā€™s highest subdivision, there was a very good match at the join line, requiring barely any manual blending.

R

:+1: This looks awsome, an truely original design and funny concept.

If you did go with a bit of colour then I think all youā€™d need to do is tone the bat back a bit more. the rest looked good. Maybe blue for the bat instead?

anyhow, itā€™s not really needed as this is great as it is. Well done!!!:+1:

Wow!!! Really nice work, luv the tree sculpting and the BW renderā€¦looks very original.:slight_smile:

Ugg! It is 12.45am Saturday morning and Iā€™ve just finished the picture and submitted it. I am shattered and have been fighting a killer headache since 6pm last night, but I am well satisfied with the image and with having completed in time!

Thank you Mark and Soulreaver. Thanks to everyone whoā€™s posted and viewed my progress. As I suspected at the start this has been a challenge not just technically, but also with regard to available time. I have had to take time from things I should have done at home, so thank you also to my wife, Yumiko for having put up with all this!

Good luck everyone!

R

ScaredSillyFinalRender.jpg

It looks excellent - the final render you chose really does the piece justice.
Good luck,
Jason