ZBrushCentral

robo3687's Sketchbook 2009

Hi guys, after being scared of Zbrush for years (have tried versions 1,2 and 3) I’ve finally gotten around to trying 3.1 (and can’t wait for 3.5 to come out), and I haven’t been into another program for over a week…lol…

I’m currently taking part in the Modern Game Character Creation workshop over at CG Society and since a large portion of that course involves ZBrush I wanted to get some practice in.

I’ve dabbled in sculpting before with Mudbox, but never really took anything to completion. So now here’s a brief overview of my first week with ZBrush.

Day One
I started off with a base mesh head that I got with a training dvd and made these heads
[attach=152913]child.jpg[/attach]
[attach=152914]ponting2.jpg[/attach]

Day Two
Using a previous sculpt I’d done in Mudbox of Hugh Laurie I modified it to create something new
[attach=152915]scarmaan.jpg[/attach]

Day Four
My instructor suggested that I try and model something from a very basic base mesh with no facial features as that will be what is used for the class. This is my first attempt at doing such a thing.

[[attach=152916]head_test.jpg[/attach]]head_test.jpg

and this is the base mesh…

[[attach=152917]stub_mesh_v3.jpg[/attach]]stub_mesh_v3.jpg

Day Five
Tried another head from a blank slate and came up with this
[[attach=152918]head_test3.jpg[/attach]]head_test3.jpg

Day Six
This is my single greatest personal achievement in the 12 or so years I’ve been doing this 3d thing, I wanted to sculpt a bust of a famous person and so I chose the wrestler Triple H, and I made a stunted version of the base mesh and in 3 hours came up with this.

[hhh.jpg]

So thats my first week in Zbrush…I look forward to sharing many many more weeks with you and Zbrush…

Attachments

child.jpg

ponting2.jpg

scarmaan.jpg

anyone?

your improving very quickly. keep practicing.
I found that every time i started from scratch i got much faster at it and i found it easer to come up with different concepts. I would say sculpt complete busts not just heads but your doing that so carry on.

-M

thanks

i had another go at one today, it’s supposed to be george clooney…lol…

[clooney.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘153262’,‘clooney.jpg’,1,0))

thought I’d work on the HHH bust a bit more, added the moustache he had a few years back and sharpened up a few details…

hhh2.jpg

Great to start up a sketchbook! You got some sweet progress made already on the head sculpts! Basemesh construction seems to be coming along fine too. I learned a lot on sculpting heads by following the techniques of Scott Spencer, Ryan Kingslien and Zack Petroc-> sculpting from the inside to the outside (skull-> muscle->skin). Keep goin’ man! :+1: !

thanks etcher, good to have you comment on my sketchbook

here’s a little something i’ve been working on for the last week and a half as part of my course…can anyone tell who he’s supposed to be? he’s a reworked retro game character…

022.jpg

Your getting better with every model. Keep posting, and keep aiming higher by looking at the best. People are looking at your thread, its just harder to get comments these days here.

Keep at it, your effort will pay off.

thanks tez

here’s another guick likeness test…the beanie is a bit funny (and was just an excuse not to worry about the hair) but it’s supposed to be Robbie Williams

[robbie.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘155846’,‘robbie.jpg’,1,0))

here’s another quick sketch, total time spent about 3 hours…was just scribbling around on my base mesh with clay tubes to start with…quite happy with it…

[joker1.jpg]joker2.jpg

finished off the joker bust today and had my first go at rendering out using different passes and putting them together in paint shop pro…i decided to make a wallpaper for my ps3 to celebrate Batman Arkham Asylum being released…

[joker3thumb.jpg]joker3.jpg

just a WIP of a side project i’m working on…starting from my usual base mesh I’m just building up forms with clay tubes

[001.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘156842’,‘001.jpg’,1,0))

alrighty, got a bit more work in on that last head, the pic i posted before had a goatee and a little smirk added but that was just a guide for me…

so here’s how its progressing…minus beard and smirk…

[002t.jpg]002.jpg

[004t.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘157119’,‘004.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

004.jpg

We want to see some ears. :wink:

here’s his left ear…his right ear is partially missing…

[[attach=157121]006.jpg[/attach]]006.jpg

well the guy i’ve been working on is in fact mick foley the hardcore legend…

and it wouldn’t be mick without a look at those pearly whites (kind of) so i gave him a grin…

[007t.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘157146’,‘007.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

007.jpg

major update on the mick foley head…got the hair done, for now i think this is the majority of the work on the head done…

[009t.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘157340’,‘009.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

009.jpg

while i anxiously await the arrival of my 3.5 email i thought i’d post an update on my keen model…

[keen039t.jpg]keen033.jpg

Attachments

keen039.jpg

keen031.jpg