ZBrushCentral

Rick Baker Monstermaker 3D Portrait - WIP

Looks amazing! I’m ready to see the end result!

wow very nice wanderful work :+1:

every times i see a work of Kris i’m amazed, but this times you go over my fantasy, your sculture are incredible, exactly like the master.

Hey Kris, those skin textures are looking incredible.
It must be spooky even for MonsterMaker to see his face with no eyes…this should already be on the top row anyway - in fact,
they should reserve spaces for you, MonsterMaker and Rimasson on the top row just to show your current WIPs -
I’m pretty sure everyone would agree with that! :sunglasses:
Love it so far, and thanks for the continual hard work and inspiration. Due to looking at your work, I find myself looking at old people in a different way - looking for interesting wrinkles, etc…they must think I’m crazy! (I haven’t got any wrinkles yet myself - too young I guess :wink: )

BTW, all the best for your trip home - also, just wanted to ask if you and Rick have ever got together - I think you guys would have plenty to discuss. You guys rock!

yeah, definatly top row material now! Amazing work.

I didn’t realise you were from Brazil. My character animation teacher, and good friend, lives in Sao Paulo.

Can’t wait to see more of this model, great job man!

Hey Antropus very nice modeling like always! Your work inspires me a lot. This final image that you have, looked familiar to me after you said that you used a Rick’s picture for referece. I think I looks pretty much like him after looking at the pictures from the zbrush meeting at Gnomon hehehe! Nothing personal tho!! hehe :slight_smile: Another thing, is the hair and the skin texturing. Did you used your great technique of the image on the 3d plane for the texturing part of this model? Ok have a good one!

Javi.

what a wonderful work Kris, you are an inspiration…thanks :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

can i ask if all the texture, the pores, wrinkles, etc are sculpt it in or is there also some bump?..do you prefer sculpt the texture instead of using the bump material?

Geniuss Antropus Great Work Exclent

Thanks for your comments!

About the model, now with the basic texture I can see what’s wrong with the model. I have to change some stuff mainly in his eyes area that is very charcteristic in Rick. I changed something in one of my latest updates and the eyes doesn’t look much like his eyes at this point. I’ll fix that area and also add some more features to the cheeks and nose. Still wip but I’m not going to stop! :smiley:

About the fine details, I’m using a very little bit of bump in the shader but about 99% of what you see is actually modeled.

I posted in another forum but I’ll post here again. I think it can help you to understand my workflow for pores and wrinkles details:

1. I use custom alphas to create it in Projection Master. You can download my brushes from my thread about detailing the human skin. The link was posted already here in this thread;

2. To do so, I use very small values for the ZAdd and ZSub, something around 2 or 3;

3. to be able to rotate the alphas, I use the directional brush together with DragRect Stroke. So you can draw and rotate the brushes, creating it one by one and this way having total control about size and position, since the pores have to follow the skin structure, mainly in the cheeks/nose/forehead;

4. then I go back to 3D mode and use the inflat tool. I use the maximum size for the brush and very small intensity, also between 2 and 3. This way, I can cover large areas with very small deformation in big volumes but a subtle change to the wrinkles and pores, closing it a tinny bit;

5. then I use the smooth brush, again with small intensity… something around 20-25. This way you will make the pores and wrinkles softer and organic. These tips work very well for both wrinkles and pores.

I Hope it helps.

-Kris

thanks Antropus, it’s very helpful to see you working and to share you’re knowledge.
congrats.

this is looking realy good dude!

Oi Kris.
I’m a sucker for subtle and this screams out Rick.
Nice job on the detailing, i like how you’ve restrained yourself from going over the top.
Ta show de bola.
Cesar Dacol Jr.
Aka, The Voodoo Monkey

thanks for share your workflow with us Kris, i`m goin to check this thread from time to time to see the final render of your work…

yeah man, thanks for the tips.

I can’t wait to see when it’s finished.

I can’t wait to see how you complete this.

www.nobuart.com

Thanks a lot for the incentive and nice words and thanks for the highlight. Would be great if the thumbnail selected could show the model with textures instead of the blue version of Rick :wink:

So, as I said before, I was not very happy with the facial features in Rick’s face. The shader was working but I just lost some of the main forms in his face. I had some time tonight and used about 2 hours to carefully tweak the model trying to recover a little bit of the main features.

Main changes:

• external corner of his eyes are higher now;
  • nose is a little longer;
  • mouth and chin are a little lower;
  • cheeks have more volume and more personality now;
  • nose have more details and improvements in the shape in general;
  • eyes are a little more “puffy” (sorry Rick! It’s all in the references! :D)

I had no time to improve the texture yet (planar projection) so you will still see stretched textures in the sides of the head. Still stuff to do but I think these changes helped a lot with the likeness. Incredible how subtle are the changes and how different it looks this way.

Updates:

-Krissculpt16.jpgsculpt15.jpgsculpt17.jpg

-insert drool here-

Good Stuff!! but a good art work never finish, :+1: haha.

no words, Antropus always great ! :+1: