ZBrushCentral

Rick Baker Monstermaker 3D Portrait - WIP

Going well thanks, Kris.
Doing a broad range of stuff atm: fantasy-photoreal concept artwork, rigging,
and modeling (Maya/ZBrush) - apart from the full-time job looking after my
young son :wink:

I look forward to seeing your chosen hair treatment; I guess as your possibly
going for NURBS planes, this’ll be a Maya (MR) render with SSS, too?!

cheers

Chris

This model is brutal. I didnt read a word and already knew who it was. Antropus, u rock, Sir. :+1: :sunglasses:

Woah! awesome modeling, I could recognize he’s Rick Baker right away!

really beautiful modeling.

HB

Just wanted to say this is looking awesome Antropus!
Yourself, MonsterMaker and Rimasson are the true masters on this forum, so I wonder if Rick is thinking of modelling you Antropus? :wink: And remember, he could make a monster out of you!

Anyhow, you guys rock! 'nuff said.

I like how you made the hair, hair is usually the killer of a sculpture… you got it nice…

hey your image is looking great really life like could you post your exact material and light settings you used for this picture please!!!

Wow Kris, You changed this a lot, don’t you sleep? The likeness is much better now. Very cool!
VVDFX, You know it’s not that wierd for me to see a 3D version of my head I 've been seeing them since my first lifecast at 13 years old. I’ve also had my head scanned several times, but it is really cool to see a great artist like Kris do his version of me.
Agent Smith, I’d pay good money too, that makes two of us. Actually I did shoot Kong in Peter’s film so I guess that makes me a bad guy.
Can’t wait to see this finished Kris.
Rick

kostia,

tough question. Hmmm, can I say it took me three nights of fun and some years of work? :slight_smile:
I mean, MM for example, can create an awesome model after lunch just for fun but he have a looooong artistic background to backup what he does today :wink:

Atwooki,
sounds great man! Nice to hear that it’s everything all right. Yeah, I’m going for some photorealistic head that’s for sure. That means good shaders/textures and lighting… a lot of work, but a lot of fun too!

Giantsun, vlad74, pummumu, AgentSmith, elfufu,
thanks a lot for your kind words guys!

jit_gohil,

Thanks a lot! I’m flattered by your comment but I have a loooooong way to go before I consider myself a good modeler. Hard work and dedication, having fun always, of course :wink:

Rick already created a model of my head a long time ago. Look:
http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showpost.php?p=262921&postcount=77
… believe me, I look exactly like this guy! :smiley:

troy1617,
I attached a ZBrush document with a tinny Rick Baker in the corner :slight_smile:
Just open the file and import your model on it. Material, light and render adjustments are already set.

Rick,
Don’t worry, I slept a lot today to compensate the late hours of work yesterday :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for your nice words Rick. Means a lot to me! I promise I’ll finish it. For now, all I can see is a lot of luggage and stuff to pack around me. I’m going back to Brazil to spend a nice time with my wife (maybe 6 to 8 months), working remotely for my company. I’m leaving next Friday. So, I have to try some more improvements in the model this week because I’ll surely be offline next weekend. Everything happens for the right reasons, always and I’m super happy to see her again, after almost 7 months :wink:

-KrisMatLlightAdjust.zip (79.5 KB)

after 7 months ?! wow, i would die in that time !! After 3, i would say f everything and go to her :]
Btw, i feel this is going to be one of the best works in top row :]

slocik,
LOL! That’s exactly what I felt but well, we are doing fine and missing each other a lot so I think it was a good experience (to know each other better, believe me!)

-Kris

hey thank you so much for the sahder and light we should start a thread where we post are light and material it would help out alot in the zbrush community, hey do you think you could show a zscript or video on your workflow that would also help me out greatly in my ability to sculpt your model is so life like and real you have to show us how you did it. Please you are the true zbrush master!!

Kris: I’m so happy to hear you are going back home to see your wife. I did a gig a few years back and was apart from my wife and daughter for 3 months. I almost went mad missing them.

Have a safe journey and a sweet reunion…:smiley:

Dickie

I must say it again, its wonderful work

Kris this is Great, the model is totally recognezible, is great to see how subtile and realistic everything is ( and that´s really difficult! ) impatient to see the final result man! great job!

troy1617, i was thinking about making a therad where i would post best material and light settings, base head models, teeth, and eyes i founded here :] The only problem is i dont remember who made each of them :confused: I think somebody schould do something like that :]

i agree sloick it sounds like a good idea and could further better the zbrush community you should do it!!!

troy1617 and slocik,
yeah, I think you guys can to do this. I’m trying to do my part, turning available tutorials, shaders, light and tips all the time, just like other artists here, like MM, Jantim and others. Other than that, I just can’t share my models, I’m sorry. This is too personal to be shared and I think the most part of the artists think this way :wink: I don’t think ready made models are the best way to learn so I prefer to share the tools and techniques, not the models. I hope you understand :slight_smile:

Dickie,
thanks a lot man! Yeah, I hope I can have a great time over there :wink:

stanloshka,
thanks!

metamesh,
I’m glad you like it. Your work ROCK! Thanks dude :+1:

And here are the updates for this weekend. Don’t know if I’ll have free time this week but I’ll try to post something more before my travel. I included some renders of “Rick in blue”, some screen captures showing the model in shading mode (probably more details visible this way) and I also played with photoshop threshold filter to check if the forms are going right (black and white images).

-Krissculpt09.jpgsculpt08.jpgsculpt10.jpgsculpt06.jpgsculpt07.jpgsculpt11.jpgsculpt12.jpgZBC33187.jpg

WOW CHRIS:
I love it, the likenes it is outstanding.
I wopuld like to ask you one thing about the sculpture.
It look so soft, smooth and unified, do you use to sculpt, and then smooth all the surface at one with the modifier?
And then texture, or you get this smoothnes pull and pushing the meshl, and smoothng small parts.
What amount of division you like to work for the midle detail. Maybe could be usefull the number of subdivisons and the amount of polys.

Thank you for all and all the best,
Arturo

Hey Arturo,

this model have 3.9 millions of polys at full res (SubD = 6). I think this is the limit for the most part of the machines so I’m not going over this count :slight_smile:
I always try to get the maximum details in the lowest possible level. Then I divide the mesh and do the same at that level. At the end, with 6 subD levels, I can just go back to any level at any time and move large areas all at once using them move tool in the edit mode (soft modification like).
For the skin, some things you can do to get this look is to use some custom alphas like the ones I posted here http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=32839&page=1 or Rick’s alphas posted here http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=23879&page=3&pp=15.
You can use the poros alphas to add details to the skin using Projection Master, using a very small pressure. Then, I use the inflat tool with a very large brush (maximum size) and very small pressure (2). This way, carefully you can close the poros a little, very slowly. At the end, you can use the smooth brush also with a small pressure (about 20 to 30) to make the general aspect more natural. Everything have to be worked very carefully to get the right result but once you get the result you wnat, everything is easier for the next models :slight_smile:

Good luck buddy,
-Kris

You really do very impressive work! the b/w images are amazing!
thanks for the tips :+1:

I´m eager to see more :slight_smile:

greets
froyd