ZBrushCentral

Questions and Troubleshooting for ZBrush 4R3

Use this thread to post questions regarding any issues you might encounter with ZBrush 4R3. Please be sure when posting about unusual behavior to follow the forum guidelines found here: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/announcement.php?f=101

This initial post will also be updated with answers for the most common issues regarding upgrading to ZBrush 4R3 as well as installation and activation. It will be updated as necessary. Should you encounter any problems with installing or activating 4R3, please check this list before posting in the thread or contacting Pixologic Support.

:small_orange_diamond:Note about NoiseMaker: We’ve uncovered some incompatibility issues between NoiseMaker and some systems
and tablet configurations. An updated NoiseMaker version will be available when these issues are resolved.

:small_orange_diamond:For Mac OS users upgrading to ZBrush 4R3: Make sure that the folder name is: ZBrushOSX 4R2 (ZBrushOSX “space” 4R2)

Firstly, awesome upgrade.

Secondly, how do you get Vector Displacements to show up in modo? I am exporting them as per the docs.

Thanks.

Edit: Solved. The problem I had was simply the Vertex map getting flipped on export, so I turned that off in Preferences>ImportExport>NormalMapFlipVert(off)

Edit 2: is there a way to turn that button off permanently? Storing Config doesn’t seem to do the trick, so it keeps switching on after a restart.

If it can help, my Zbrush crash every time I try to edit surface noise and I run Windows 64 bits (even without tablet)

Upgrade worked without a hitch, thanks :slight_smile:
However, I’m getting this error on startup.

Screen shot 01.jpgScreen shot 02.jpg

It doesn’t prevent ZBrush from launching but thought it was worth reporting.

cheers

EDIT : 4R3 activated and working.

I’m glad to add that the issues I had with 4R2b seem to have been resolved without having to upgrade Windows XP 64 bit to Windows 7 … :smiley:

I am having the old problem of when using the Shift or Ctrl key getting a notification,

“This brush will be used as the ‘Active’ …”

Is there anyway to turn this off?

phrenzy84 posted :
I am having the old problem of when using the Shift or Ctrl key getting a notification,
“This brush will be used as the ‘Active’ …”
Is there anyway to turn this off?

That’s no bug but a feature :wink:

When you change masking and selection brushes, there is a button on the panel that appears that lets you hide these messages until the next restart (“Skip this note until next restart”).

So when you press “OK” the panel will appear each time, unless you press “Skip this note until next restart” : then it will only appear again after restarting ZBrush.
You will have to do that for both masking and selection brushes …

Hope this helps …

I get the exact same error dialog boxes upon launch of 4R3, as does “dlll”

Is PaintStop for Mac not working in 4R3?

Or is there a way to load PaintStop after Zbrush launches?

Thanks

[ Except for the Paint Stop plugin not loading, the Activation, download, etc. process went very smoothly. Very excited about the new features.

I assume any bug fixes and updates will now be much easier thanks to the new Updater app.

Congratulations on yet another feature-rich upgrade. ]

acmepixel posted : Paint Stop broke?

Paintstop working fine here in Windows XP 64 bit …
So maybe a Mac problem ?

The last time i had that show up was in ZB3 r2. The reason it shows up is i have some of the modifier keys combined with standard keys set to custom brushes ie, Ctrl + L = abPolypaint Brush. (my goto Polypaint Brush)

So im not chaginging any standard masking or smoothing brushes, yet im still presented with the dialogue. even after clicking ok, it doesnt actually change those standard brushes (which is good).

Masking issue (minor problem) : when I mask an area , inverse the mask, sculpt on the unhidden portion and then CTRL+Click+Drag to clear the mask, the mask stays visible although it has been unmasked (‘ViewMask’ off) : the visibility of the mask disappears when you move the view …

phrenzy84 posted : The last time i had that show up was in ZB3 r2. The reason it shows up is i have some of the modifier keys combined with standard keys set to custom brushes ie, Ctrl + L = abPolypaint Brush. (my goto Polypaint Brush)

So im not chaginging any standard masking or smoothing brushes, yet im still presented with the dialogue. even after clicking ok, it doesnt actually change those standard brushes (which is good).

Not sure what you mean but the panels should not appear anymore after you have clicked “Skip this note until next restart”.

I forgot to follow the forum guidelines when making my post.
Here are the screenshots including the System Specs;

Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 11.32.20 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-02-29 at 11.32.36 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-02-29 at 11.35.39 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-02-29 at 11.40.40 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-02-29 at 11.41.13 AM.jpg

If you are getting the PaintStop error on a Mac could you try this for me please?

1. In Finder, open the ZBrushOSX 4R2 folder and navigate to the ZStartup/ZPlugs folder.
  2. Locate and open the PaintStopData4 folder.
  3. Locate the settings.zvr file and delete it.
  4. Restart ZBrush.

Let me know if that solves the problem.

Many thanks,

Is there a breakdown of bug fixes that are in for this version? Just curious so I can differentiate between what is a bug and what needs to be a feature request. Thanks again for the all the hard work Pix team! Really amazing stuff! I can’t wait to try out the Vector Displacement! :slight_smile:

Hi Marcus,

Followed your 4 steps above to no effect. The result is identical to the original error.
I also deleted the Palette.zvr file, also, to no effect.

I will perform the 4R3 install on my other machine and see if there is a different result, and let you know.

Thanks for looking into this.

Many thanks acmepixel,

It’s a bit problematic to solve as I can’t reproduce it, so it’s a bit trial and error at the moment. Once starting ZBrush you can try loading PaintStop through the ZScript menu Load button - navigate to the ZPlugs folder and select the PaintStop_4_08Mac.ZSC file. If PaintStop loads correctly then the menu will appear in the Document palette.

Hi Marcus,

I tried as you suggested, loaded the plugin via the Zscript menu, but I still get the same error;

Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 1.13.43 PM.jpg

Also; I thought perhaps it was the Folder naming convention that might have an effect. The email doc, the pdf included with the updater, and the previous install Folder name all differ. So I tried changing the Folder name to ZBrushOSX 4R3, instead of ZBrushOSX 4R2 [installed] or ZBrush OSX 4R2 [email doc], or ZBrush 4R2 OSX [updater pdf]. But to no avail.

Installation went very smoothly and no problems with Paintshop. Am however having issues with Noisemaker plugin on Mac.
Sometimes Noisemaker window doesn’t launch at all - which means you can’t cancel it as there is no cancel button to push and sometimes when it does open it just doesn’t work and you can’t close it or cancel it as the buttons don’t seem to work. In both instances I have to Force Quit. Not ideal… Sometimes however it works as it should.

Hi Marcus,

I performed the upgrade install on my main computer [Macbook Pro, OSX Lion 7.3, 6GB RAM]
and received identical results. The same dialog boxes appear when ZB4R3 tries to load PaintStop_4_08Mac.
Both machines are running the latest Mac OS; 10.7.3.

Doug