ZBrushCentral

Polaroid29's Sketchbook Of Sorts

Sparky! How are ya man? I actually checked your thread the other day to see where you’ve been haha.

Thank you. She’s all one mesh :smiley: dynamesh is really fun if you haven’t had the chance to play with it yet.

100th post in my thread :O! Thank you ZBC for all the amazing help and comments and critiques, here’s to hoping for 1,000 more!

chairbackrender.jpg

Congrats on the 100th post haha

I’m all good, today was my graduation ceremony :slight_smile: which has given me the boost I needed to open up 3D packages again :slight_smile: , as not being able to get a 3D artist job and my dad going into a nursing home resulted in me getting depression but I’m on the mend now :slight_smile:

Ahh, sorry to hear that man. Congrats on the graduation though! That’s gotta be a good feeling :). I’m only one semester into art school, so I’ve got a ways to go haha. Not being able to find a job sucks, but don’t let it discourage you man. With ZBrush especially, there are so many things you could do on your own. Books, toys, illustrations, shorts etc etc. So I’m just enjoying creating for now :slight_smile:

Excited to see some new stuff from you!

Hi Polaroid,

Great stuff … I really love this last piece, such a nice concept! Cheers, David

Cheers dude, yes defo a good feeling, given me a lift :slight_smile:

Yeah I think from Monday, I’ll open up zbrush and make a start again :slight_smile: , think I’ll start with just a normal male, no super duper hero or fancy alien thing just so I can keep practising the anatomy :slight_smile: and then maybe learn how to do clothing creases :slight_smile: for him

Do you own a iphone or an Ipad because I’ve found an awesome app called Mara3D, epic reference for the anatomy :slight_smile:

Long time no post, but I’ve gotten some more inspiration finally!

@chalkman thanks David :slight_smile: always appreciate your comments.

@sparky how are things? any better, I hope? Good to hear from you man.

New speed bust. My first time trying a more realistic character, even though my imagination always roams and I can’t stay with it for more than a few minutes before exaggerating proportions. It’s a sickness! Big thanks to pointpusher for the material, looks great.

Hey polaroid, I love this character, really excellent ! He looks as though he would fit right into spirit dreamers boxing scene as The kind hearted trainer! :laughing: Cheers, David:D

Great sketchbook mate ! Great characters and very nice style!
Very solid anatomy going on the old man, really like the sculpt a lot!
Looking forward to your next work,
Cheers,
Kenny:)

@chalkman thanks David :smiley: now that I think about it, he does have the likeness of a boxing trainer or coach. I was actually intending him to be an old man from France haha.

@KC-Production I appreciate that :slight_smile: thank you!

An update on him, texturing mostly. 100% Zbrush so far, even the SSS! :smiley:

Let me know if you guys think I’m in the right direction, or have any crits.

Hey Polaroid

Yeah things going good ish haha, I’m still on the job hunt, Junior roles or graduate roles are hard to come by at the min still :frowning: but no such thing as “give up” :slight_smile:

I’ve done a tiny bit in zbrush, I did an anatomy study, just to get me back into the swing of things in Zbrush :slight_smile: nothing special only took like 5 hours, I’ve started on my next character though, he is sculpted, and made a start on the clothing, this is the first time doing clothing but I love challenges :slight_smile:

Anyway enough about me this is your thread :slight_smile: and I must say how awesome your latest sculpt is, really really love it :slight_smile:

Your work is absolutely superb

Hi Polaroid :slight_smile:

Hey…Really nice job on this last character …He has tons of character, and projects a ton of emotion also…Alot of subtle facial language at play in his facial features…even really clear in your thumbnail…No small feat to achieve…:+1:small_orange_diamond:)
Anyway,just stopping by to say…Really enjoying your sketchbook and the works within it…Great style you have going on in here.Really looking forward to seeing more.:+1:small_orange_diamond:)

Glenn

You are definently on the right track!
Nice one keep it going mate =)

@sparky heya man! glad to see that things are a little better though jobs are definitely hard to come by. have you considered working on a story of your own for now until you find a job? create your own world, multiple characters, a story, maybe an environment, etc. thinking about that stuff has really furthered me as an artist big time, i think. anyway, good to hear from you either way! and thanks for the compliment :smiley:

@coreyschroeder thanks corey, that means a lot :slight_smile:

@Spiritdreamer hi glenn :slight_smile: how are you? thank you for the kind words. my technique is not so great yet, but that you enjoy the character and that he projects the emotions i intended is a big compliment.

@KC-Production thank you for stopping by again man! looking forward to seeing some more from you too.

you guys are all so kind!

Here is an update on a skin shader in Zbrush, I think this one is a little more fleshy, organic and less chalk-like than the last render. Man, SSS is really a huge pain! Now I know why I’m destined to be a character modeler and not texture artist :stuck_out_tongue:

Any tips, crits etc would be very welcome to help further it.

Render2.jpg

Oooh jolly that sounds a lot of work hahaha, however the character I am currently working on (not posted any pics yet) is from a movie so perhaps do a few bits from the movie maybe ?

Yeah the subtle changes in the new render is an improvement on the previous one, but perhaps give his cheeks a bit of reddness maybe ?

A friend asked me about my method of getting the corduroy texture look of my character’s hat, so I decided to whip up a quick little tutorial. Hopefully you guys find it useful. I’m sure there are better ways, but this is just what I’ve found to work easiest for me through my own experimentations. Hopefully it helps :slight_smile: I used the same method for the fleece of his jacket, and the cotton of his shirt.

hat_quick_tut.jpgtutorial.jpg

Thanks for the kind tutorial and your knowledge buddy, will definently check that one out on a other object I am working!
Great to see artist share their skills and knowledge!:+1:small_orange_diamond:)
Looking forward to your work.
Happy sculpting

• Kenny =)

Hey, thanks Kenny! Looks like you were the only one who got to use it, so consider it made just for you! :smiley:

Okay okay here is the last render of this guy, I swear!

finalstubble.jpg

Wonderful, just an awesome character! Can’t put my finger on who he reminds me of … Gene Hackman perhaps? all the best, David :smiley:

Just curious how you came up withe the polaroid moniker? They used to be a big client of mine, :laughing: