ZBrushCentral

Pixologic and ILM - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

oh well…they used the 2.5 beta with the "make fantastic tentacle like human sea-creatures etc…-button

Congratulations
dudes with the amazing work…still have to see the movie…yet

Lucky_1

…and Articles about Aaron McBride at Cgtalk :wink:

When I first laid eyes on Davy Jones I was like, ah, that was makeup. But then he went on and talk to Jack Sparrow, Captain, then squint, and I was like, holy cr*p, that was CGI! And I was like, there’s only one software on ILM that could make something like that and it was ZBrush!!! I bet they used it on the Kraken too! I can’t wait to see that interview! Whoa! I’m still flippin’ over that movie even now! This is one good example of how CGI and StoryTelling has perfected each other. Can you imagine how this movie would look if it’d been made in only 5-10 years ago? (think jar jar) Without Zbrush it wouldn’t look as good as it is! Congratulations to the Pixologic Team!! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

It’s one thing to use a software, it’s another when you know that the stuff you’re using is used on a great movie like Pirates of the Carribean.

Hi!

When I click on the pictures, I get a pop up with a “Page can not be displayed”.

Am I the only one?

I just read an article here:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1212815_1_0_,00.html

Where John Knoll said everything in Davy Jones’s face is CG even the eyes. I really thought the eyes where the real actor’s eyes. I can’t believe it. That looked so real!!!

This is the best CG character ever made and I think it will take a long time before doing better!

Mudbox has nothing on you guys and neither does any other 3D package for 3D sculpting! The Vfx are so beautiful in this film, its as if all those Cg characters are real actors along side johnny Depp and company.

Some of the best ZB jobs i’ve seen :+1: . So much details, i’d like to know more how they did this…

So is that a Cathulu with a pirate hat an homage to H.P. Lovecraft…or a rip off.:lol:

Pardon me if I’ve missed it, but about when do you expect the interview to be ready? In the next few days?

Thanks

Yep, could have only been ZBrush… saw it a couple of weeks ago. The Visual Effects were outstanding.

This is the new benchmark since Gollum showed his pretty face.

Amazing work!

Wawoo!!.. absolutely awesome! Great job!:+1: :smiley:

Bill - it depends on the artists workload and how crazy I get for siggraph. I am hoping for Friday but if it doesn’t make that then it will have to wait till after siggraph. :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking.

Ryan

Just went to see it 'cause of Zbrush. (and 'cause I like pirates, arrr!") Astonishing. That face of Davy Jones was awesome, and nice to see a sea-theme in evil creatures for a change. Way to go Pixologic & ILM! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

juhuuu ! This evening !" got the tickets, got some good friends, had enough sleep !Looking forward of Davy Jones !
Regards,
thomaskl

Captain Cthulhu!

The Davy Jones character is one of the most impressive cgi work I have ever seen.

Congratulations !

I wonder where it stops? Tis is again the next level in CG. Those guys from ILM are just a dreamteam. Every detail gets his attention. Its just great.

I, like feureau, am geeking out about the fact that ILM made Davy Jones and the other crew with zbrush. Also, I loved the movie! Go Zbrush :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:D

Actually, based on what I saw at the Pixar/Renderman booth at SIGGRAPH, even Pixar uses ZBrush.

Pixar is very well known for its phenomenal animation, rendering effects and storytelling but there seems to be more mystery surrounding their modeling department. I’ve read articles saying that they used some Maya and 3DS Max for modeling, but how exactly does their pipeline work? What are their methods and standards? We know they make Renderman and have a program called Marionette, which they do not make available to others, but I know nothing of their modeling methods, past or present. Does anyone?

The best wishes for a great ZB-artist. :+1: