Thanks for all the kind words guys
Well, this project started when I saw the renders of the ILM orc months ago. I
m a huge fan of all the Blizzard Cinematics work too and I really love this “realistic fantasy” style they are able to achieve. I play a little bit with rendering but it
s not definitely my forte. Maybe Im too anxious to wait or maybe I haven`t done as much as I should to understand it to a certain degree that I can get some cool results right away. My home computer was not built to render either which makes everything takes longer too.
Anyways, I like making realtime models. I like spending my time sculpting, texturing and playing with shader settings. I love the challenge to try achieving a “skin look” with limited resources.
To be honest, the new update of Marmoset Toolbag 2 is amazing. Great features, great lighting and shadow control, and shader features. I don
t feel that much of limitation and now with Substance Painter, its an amazing combination to achieve good materials and textures. I
ll be discussing it better later on. Im a huge fan of all Allegorithmic products!
Allright. I started this project like I always do. Gathering references. I`ve been using Pinterest a lot recently. One of the biggest inspirations for this project was a sketch done by JP Monge. I like the feeling of how “dumb” and stupid this kind of “orc/troll” look like. Big mouth, small eyes, helmet with horns. But I wanted to mix a bit of “Blizzard” and some more grounded/realistic stuff into this project. After creating a reference board, I jumped straight into Zbrush and started sketching with dynamesh and simple tools. I like taking screenshots and doing some paintovers myself to explore and design ideas.
After the design was “defined” ( I ended up changing a lot), I started doing some retopo for better flow and easier sculpt/detailing later on. I
ve mainly used Topogun and 3dsmax for that (Ive been constantly trying to do as much as I can on Maya but the modelling I still find it easier and faster on 3dsmax…BUT everything else I
m fond of Maya pipeline). [FONT=arial] My main concern was a better edge flow for sculpting, uving and display at the realtime rendering. I was NOT concerned about best edge flow for animation or limited polycount. I deal with that on a daily basis at work and its time consuming, so for this project I wanted to have more “freedom” and not spend time with these stuff In the end, I had 2 small objects that were zremeshed. It does a pretty good damn job, and it`s faster!