ZBrushCentral

Omars sketches

I made a little bit of progress on this guy. Finally see a bit of character coming through!

The arms are bugging the hell out of me now. I’m happy with the proportion for the most part, but the form just seems so off. Its like it looks okay from the front and back,
but that 3/4 view is throwing me off.

creature-progress.jpg

My opinion is that the back/top of the hand extends past where the natural rotation of the wrist joints would be, so it doesn’t looks like it could rotate correctly. Look at your own wrist, where the joint rotates right behind the first thumb joint. The top of the hand extends onto the top of the wrist, so i think you are detecting a mismatch between the points of rotation when looking at it from the natural pivot at the end of the top of the hand and the natural pivot behind the thumb. If you follow the forearm muscle forward, it blends into the first thumb joint. I think to fix it, you could taper the wrist slightly behind the thumb to indicate a separation between the thumb and forearm and also deflate the back of the hand a bit so it does not looks so much like a continuation of the forearm muscle. Also try moving just the hands a little closer to the body, i think that may align the hand bones with the flow of the wrist. Just my .02!

BTW, love the character. His face is great :slight_smile:

Hey thanks, Neopork. Looking at it now it seems you’re correct all around. Amazing how I cant see these obvious things until someone else points them out. :lol:

Thats why I come here though. Nothing beats a fresh pair of eyes.

I guess I know what to work on for now.

Thanks again, friend.

Well I started a planar study this morning, but as always I never commit to anything.:laughing:

I like what I came out with though.

I like it too. Good work.

Hey, thanks Laurie. :slight_smile:

A couple of dynamesh sketches. The first one was pretty quick between classes. I played around with Qremesh on the other one.
I dont think I’ll be going further with these, but I figured I’d post em. C&C always welcome!

speedschool.jpg
another_head.jpg

Nice sculpting, they both look convincing and organic. In the last one the neck muscles look a little under developed, but for a quick piece it’s a good study.

Thank you for the kind words Lateralus. Really nice work in your thread!

Another creature bust here. Seems its all I ever want to do lol. I probably should have sculpted a bit more, but I just wanted to play with lights and shaders.

wtf.jpg

I’m taking a mod development class this quarter and this is the first asset I’ve started on. Almost done with the high poly then on to polypaint and retopo!

Any c&c welcome.

And a question. I used the mesh insert dragon skull and though I did modify it a lot I dont like feeling like I ripped off someones work. When we use these built in insert brushes
should we find the original artist and credit them?

sword-progress.jpg

I have thought about this alot… I guess I kind-of look at it like I would Photoshop custom brushes. Almost nobody those brushes.

Very cool sword tho. Parts look like its going to be a pain to retopo!

Thanks Nyx.

Yeah I see some areas that will be troublesome with the low res, but Topogun usually saves the day. Dont know what I’d do without it!

Bit of an update on this guy. We’re scrambling to get things done in my class project so I’m trying to finish up things I already have… all between an insane work schedule lately. Bleh.

I worked on the polypaint this morning and started sketching out ideas for the low res.

Ogre-progress.jpgOgre-progress-renders.jpg

Hey guys! Not much time for personal stuff between work and school, but I started on this dragon for a class game project recently. I dont have much time to work on him,
but I’d like to get some feedback if possible.

Something about the proportions just doesnt seem right… I know, I always say that.

Anyways, I would love any crits, comments, advice, so fire away!

dragon progress.jpg
dragon ortho.jpg

Hey FatherO,
Your dragon caught my eye, because it reminds me a lot of the look I was going for on a 2d game design type of dragon too. I like how yours looks too as it has sort of the body & muscules of a lion, then the from the chest up it takes on the character of a serpent/reptile. I started on a 3d version too, but has more of a dino look too it, but looking at yours reminded me how I forgot the wings, now I must go back to the zsphere stage and create them, duh. Mainly cuz I’m following a tutorial vid but modifying it to fit my needs, so that’s my fault about the wings, lol.

The only comment from me about proportions, for dragons, is that I always ask myself “will those wings support flight for such a beast?” Now of course there are other kinds of dragons, w/o wings, like those asian style, “magical” kinds that don’t follow those rules of physics, and throws em out the window, lol.

Anyways, nice start on your dragon. Decided on fur, no fur on body, scales all over, neck & tail only?

-Darrell

Hey 3dds, thanks for stopping by, and sorry for the late response!

I’m wrapping up the surface on the dragons, I’ll try to post pics when I finish them up. We need three for the game, so I’m going with scales for the wind dragon, a charred look for the fire dragon,
and a blocky ice look for the ice dragon. Basically just re-using the same model with texture swaps.

Good luck on your dragon!

I did a little speed sculpt plus time lapse to get motivated. A little sloppy, but it was fun!

[youtubehd]AnPdnR1QF7s&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Still.jpg

thanx for the response about the plan for your 3 dragons. that sounds cool. the dragon for my game is supposed to be a “twin headed dragon”, so I’ll have my work cut out for me.

Can you share with me how to start modeling the thin wing part of the dragon? I have a zspheres skeleton for a start, but am stumped on how to get the fleshy part of the wings going next. Do I reshape a plane as a subtool or something?
…and how hard would that be to transpose? Well those are my thoughts anyways.

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Man, I bet a two headed dragon has to be challenging.

For the thin part of the wing I just exported my zsphere skeleton obj into 3d Max. Then I used a plane and started fitting it around the
skeleton object adding edges as necessary to block out the shape. Then I applied a shell modifier to give it thickness. Export back to
Zbrush and make adjustments with the move brush. Pretty much the same idea as reshaping a plane subtool, but I find it easier to do that stuff in Max.

In the end I just dynameshed it all together. If your mesh gets too dense for transposing I suppose you could just qremesh it to a low poly and project the details back up.

Hope that helps. There are probably easier ways, but thats what worked for me.

That sounds like a plan. My mind is so confined on ZB that I totally forgot about using a plane>shell modifier>thickness in max, doh!

I’ve never dynomeshed anything yet or used the qremesh either, but I’m sure I’ll get around to that stuff sooner or later. Big thanx for the tips.

Hey, no prob. Dynamesh and Qremesh are both pretty easy to figure out, just watch a few videos, experiment around and you’ll have it down.
Dynamesh is a lot of fun too. It really lets you model whatever you want without the constraints of a base mesh.

Good luck!