ZBrushCentral

nagulov's sketchbook

You’re a real inspiration. I think it’s good to practice a full figure. Maybe it’s slower but you keep working on every body part each time.

If you don’t wan’t parts to be merged like that leg and sculpt every side, maybe it would be better to start with a zsphere base mesh?

great knowledge of human anatomy

cheers

You could always build yourself a basic mannequin out of zspheres, pose that and start sculpting from there. That way you get all of the benefits of polygroups (being able to sculpt in sections) and none of the fusing issues related to dynamesh

Yes, I thought about it. Zspheres have quite a few advantages, but they get tricky when you have to build detail like fingers/toes/ears. It’s much easier to sculpt those from scratch and then just attach.

Doing it once for subsequent usage could be worth it, although I foresee a lot of fiddling to get nice looking hands and feet. Hmmm…

@nebular
Ha! Thanks! It’s strange being somebody’s inspiration. I think I need to get a whole lot better before I feel worthy of it.

Doing it once for subsequent usage could be worth it, although I foresee a lot of fiddling to get nice looking hands and feet. Hmmm…

Check out how Zack Petrock is sculpting. He’s doing it really old school.
Maybe watch one of his tutorials to see the tehniques he’s using to sculpt details on a low poly meshes. He’s really great on that.

Well, I sculpt in parts, like you can see in the WIP. If I used zremesher, it would remesh each of the ‘islands’ separately but would not fuse them together. Only dynamesh does that. Unfortunately, it also fuses stuff you don’t necessarily want it to.

One way I can think of is to zremesh the parts, export to max, manually stitch limbs/head/etc together, then import back into zbrush and project details. Which is waaay too much work for ‘quick’ sculpts like this.

Unless I’m missing something, which would be great as I’d love to find out there’s a simple solution.

Not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but…

You can use zremesher, and then use slice and curvebridge to connect your parts.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg

Huh, that’s interesting, I didn’t know about it. It could come in handy, for sure. Tnx!

Yep, I thought Jennifer Lawrence too! Truly lovely sculpt

Great modeling skills man !! cheers :slight_smile:

I like it - girl looks very slavish (very attractive to me)

nice work :+1:

Nothing too exciting to post this time, just a bunch of heads. I decided I should bust out some quick bust practice, this being the result. I sure needed it – on the first try it took me ages to nail good proportions, whereas getting the third head to look good was almost painless.

1. This one started out as a riff on the frazzetta/shiflett bros barbarian. But in the end his eyes didn’t look barbaric enough, so I gave him a 1930s haircut instead. Kinda reminds me of blaskowitz from wolfenstein now. Took me about 3 hours all told.
    matori01.jpg

2. Girls are always tough because the forms and plane changes are so subtle. I used photos of a model called ryonen as a guide, some resemblance is there I think. She has a really interesting face. Sculpting took the better part of a day, as I was again struggling with fitting forms together.
    ryonen01.jpg

3. This last one is the most ‘generic’. Basically it was just to check whether I’ve learned anything with the previous two sculpts. Turns out I might have – it took by far the least time to do, and was practically struggle-free. Too bad he’s so boring, even with an iffy attemt at a patrick bateman haircut.
    wallstreet01.jpg

Finally, I’m also including two more shots of that last nude I did, direct from zbrush this time, as I felt the vray renders softened the details too much. Hey, I didn’t sculpt them for nothing!
djevaZBrush Document.jpg
djevaZBrush Document2.jpgAAAheads.jpg

Attachments

AAAheads.jpg

matori01.jpg

ryonen01.jpg

wallstreet01.jpg

The 3rd face may be boring but everything looks right and on its’ place. So I think it’s ok. The 2 other sculpts looks really cool but the girl is somewhat strange. Maybe it’s because of the eyes that are really far apart from each other?

I agree about zbrush view port that is really cool :wink:

Thanks man. The girl has a strange face irl as well, you can google it (altough take care if at work, a lot of her photos are nude). I admit I may have exaggerated the eye distance a bit. The generic guy, well – he made for good practice, but not very exciting to look at. Busts need to be really eye-catching to get attention. Onwards!

Nice sculpts, I really like 1 and 2.
You did really well for Ryonen’s likeness. Her zygomatic seems a bit low and her eyes a little on the small side. She has huge eyes. I think putting more definition in tail end of her eyebrows would help frame face. :slight_smile:

Wow such a nice collection of sculpts in this thread ! I really like your work.

Nice works! Definitely good reference helps us a long way. Keep moving, man!

Yeah she has a very unique face indeed. It’s what makes her really hard to portrait.
By the way (sorry if it was already asked) how do you smooth and polish your sculpts to not loose the forms?

Thanks guys!

@skasse
Huh, I actually made the eyes smaller as the sculpt progressed, as initially they seemed to bulge out too much. You may be right, though I’m still too tired of looking at her to check. :wink: Likeness is tough!

@Boulp
Man, that pug cracks me up every time I see it! Thanks for the kind words.

@nebular
My approach to sculpting is very basic. I tend to use ClayBuildup and Move for like 70% of the sculpt. I also use DamStandard to cut in some skin folds, although I think this is wrong and that most of those should appear naturally. It’s something I’m working towards. Anyway, to answer your question - basically by the time I’m almost done, I’m using claybuildup at a really low intensity, so the surface is already almost smooth. At this point it’s just a matter of selective smoothing to remove the roughness. I just zoom in and work carefully around detailed areas. If I need to add form, I’ll use a low intensity clay-brush instead. And that’s it!

I know this technique but it’s really time consuming, but gives best result.
Have you tried decresing the imbed slider down to 1-3? Clay tubes won’t build up the form so much.

Thanks

cool!!