ZBrushCentral

My Z3 Journey - Old models and New

That was a great show of progress!
I haven´t had time to play around with the topology feature yet, i think it looks quite a tidious thing to do. But i guess it can be very useful sometimes.

I hope you still have plans for that video showing how to get those “fatty” parts, that would be awesome!

Maby i have missed it when reading your thread but did you use poly painting?
I tried to mess around with that but when i was to make a texture map from the poly painting it didn´t work, Zbrush crashed on me…

Well that´s it for now. I hope i will have time to work a bit on my catepillar tonight.

Husse

Ok, please don´t laugh, remember i´m a neewbie…
larv skiss.jpg

I have tried to get it fleshy and wrinkled but i don´t know how…
This (as you probably can see) is not a real species, not to my knowledge any way…:slight_smile:
I´m just trying to learn to sculpt before i try to make something real.

Husse

MTB again just have to add my thanks for your information and opinions!

cal:+1:

Love it, Love it and yes, great job! Thanks for posting the steps… just one question… can you still do edge loops? oh well, will probably try it anyway and find out for myself. so nevermind that ?.. LOL Just had to add my 2 cents to say great job and thanks!

wenna

PS Husse you’ve got a good start… keep going!

Thank you everyone for your kind praise and comments.

Slosh - Hey buddy. Two reasons to hit the topo feature: One, to try it out and get used to it. Two: the neck has horrible topology. :smiley:

Squidinc - Thank you sir. Always been an amazing source of inspiration for me when it comes to your C4D work. In fact because of you and staring at your work I made this. So, thank you very much for your praise. :wink:

Husse - Excellent so far. :+1: Yes, my plans are to make a movie still, just need hosting for it. If not than a Zscript of a general modeling method to start you off before I make the big movie.

Thank you all again.

•MAH•

Woot! The Black is Back :smiley: ! :+1: :+1: :+1:
Lemo

Well I made an awesome zscript of a caterpilar head and tested the playback and it won’t play back. Made me so angry. So, I made this quick one. Its of some simple organic modeling: skin folds, pores, heavy skin cell wrinkles, fine wrinkles, and even the very popular gross zombie/monster flesh. Hopefully this will give the flesh modeling method to those who are curious to see how it’s done and don’t know where to start or how to set the brushes.

Hope this helps and enjoy. [[attach=57966]ZBrush Document.jpg[/attach]]![ZBrush Document.jpg|900x775](upload://8N64Z9CEs0YMhddsD24ZUPsDlr0.jpeg)

[2.jpg]2.jpg

Wow awesome! Thank´s alot!

I´m really going to sit down and try different brushes now, doing it on a plane was a really good idea! Easy to see what impact different brushes have.
I´m going to make the caterpillar from scratch again, i cant´t seem to get symetry when building from zsphears, so that´s another peoblem i have to deal with…

to bad that caterpillar script didn´t work for you.

Thank´s again and stay in touch!

Husse

Thanks MTB!

Andreseloy

just freakin awesome… very much appreciated :smiley:

doing it on a plane was a really good idea! Easy to see what impact different brushes have.

agreed, hadn’t thought of trying that

You all are very welcome. It’s no big deal to me actually. Love doing this and miss discovering things and sharing things about Z. I can’t wait until I get my new computer and a dedicated net connection. Be around here more often.

Cheers All.

•MAH•

Hi MTB and others in this thread.

I have done a litle try with my everlasting caterpillar:lol:

Unfortunately i can´t subdivide it more than 2,5 million…
No i realise why retopology is a great thing! Must learn!

Husse

larv ny.jpg

Looking great so far! :+1:
Thing like this, IMO, shouldn’t need more then a million or two.
Same thing goes for retopo. Don’t need that unless you are animating or have mesh problems when adding detail. Only other reason which is completely valid and what I did…need the practice.

Good Luck.

•MAH•

As you can see in the lowpoly it´s actually a quite stretched mesh so most polygons end up at the head when subdevided. I would like some more geometry
where the small feet are located to get good detail. I´m actually thinking of doing a local subdivision there.

Husse

larv low small.jpg

Attachments

larv detail small.jpg

What I have come to learn is if there is one thing that can be very important in all 3D (even here in the new Z3), it is base mesh. The Zsphere distribution of your base mesh is why you have the problem now, which you well know. :smiley:

Remember when I said "like a sculptor, from big to small?" Well, here is the catch when moving this law to the 3D realm. A real life sculptor's "polys" are everywhere: Atoms! Thats right, material particle. In 3D, our sculpting particles are polygons. So to effectively detail a model, the distribution of our "particles" is something you control, needed for detailing, and therefore very important (also why retopology is important when needed). That also includes having as little polys in a mesh where it is not needed. Detail required on the head relative to the detail required on the body is less then because of size and lack of needed sculpting (it being most caterpillars' heads are smooth). Your Cater mesh is the opposite of this because of your Zsphere distribution.

Here is my caterpillar to show you how, when evenly placing zspheres throughout, your base mesh can be something that only a million polys (or even less) can effectively use for sculpting detail. Right now it is 95 Zspheres, 5300 polys.
Note: Head will be a subtool. I am also going to make the tiny claw feet subtools because subdividing to a million and having those feet there would be a waste of polys.

[Caterpillar Zif Base Mesh.jpg]

I will continue to develope this model and recorded everything I can and share it here. If not to help, but to also take a journey with this model through Z3 and document it.

Hope this sheds more light.

•MAH•

looking forward to seeing the results :slight_smile:

Creation of head and claws using Native zbrush
primitives and adding them as subtools.

[Caterpillar Subtools.jpg]

•CLICK HERE TO VIEW•

Modeling the new caterpillar claw before adding it to the body base mesh.

[Caterpillar Claw.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘58231’,‘Caterpillar Claw.jpg’,1,0))

•CLICK HERE TO VIEW•

Wow! i´m speachless…
That´s a completely new way of building detailed modells to me.
I have downloaded the videos and going to sloooowly whatch them over and over again! Thank´s A LOT man! really!
This is someting that everyone should see. Someting for the wiki or Z classroom!
I really hope you finish this all the way trough texturing. This is exactly
what i as a beginner is asking for, project based tutorials!

Keep it up.

Husse

Hi again MTB!
I have watched the claw movie over and over and it´s kind of hard to follow after you have polygrouped and starting to do some extruding and scaling.
This part and to the point where you start to transpose it:
extrude.jpg

I hope i´m not being to pushy now but could you somehow clearify the procedure you use?

Sincearly thankfully

Husse