ZBrushCentral

MK vs DC Universe - Raiden & Baraka

Hey everyone,
one of my new year’s resolution: post some work on zbrushcentral, so here we go :smiley:

While part of the Central Character Team at Midway Chicago, I had the opportunity to work on both Raiden and Baraka for the Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe game. I was responsible of sculpting the high-res mesh, the game mesh, and Color/ Normal/ Specular maps for both characters.

My process: Sculpt a High-res mesh in ZBrush, Create a game mesh in 3ds Max, UVs and mesh tweaks in Maya, textures in Photoshop/ZBrush.

(Since the creation time for the entire Raiden character was pretty short (7 days), I did some extra work on the ZTool afterward. Things like chainmail, armor damages, etc… I did this for fun, to get that feeling of completion I couldn’t reach firsthand because of the tight deadline.)

Please share any comments/critiques. Thanks!

thumb4.jpg

awesome work man!

Great job man !!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Sea Creature

I was just watching the review of this game today. THose models looks awesome. Have you tried converting to realtime your completed model? Also I’d like to see some more of the Baraka model. The Raiden model had a ton of detail in it.

Great Models and Great work. I love this game too, very accessible and easy to get into. The only thing I wish is that it had more gore! That’s what the MK games were all about for me. Nevertheless, Great models of 2 of my favorite characters.

Love it. Raiden especially! Post some more if you can :slight_smile:

Awesome models, I love that detailing of the clothing, and those facial wrinkles are a work of art.

eldee.s:Thanks!
BARON_3D:Thanks!
womball:Those are actually realtime models, screen-grabbed in Maya’s viewport. I probably should have mentionned it in my forst post. I attached some wireframe screenshots, if that can interest you.
aiman: The lack of gore/ super-violence seems to be a lot of people’s opinion too (me included). These decisions are way out of the Art Department’s hands though… :cry: But as you said it is still a fun game to play. I love it :smiley:
Gaboon: Thanks! Got a few more screens attached!
maxinkuk: GLad you like those details and the wrinkles. It was a lot of fun to create.

A few more screenshots of those 2 models, with some showing the wireframes. Heads are pretty triangle-dense, because the same models were used as-is in the cut scenes (~120 minutes total). So the faces needed to have a quite large range of motion for all the expressions needed.

1.jpg

Attachments

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is kickass stuff… 7 days for each character is jus going insane :D… I really enjoyed the game and its good to see some more insight on the characters… thanks for sharing…

Top Roww!!!

Great Models and execution! the level of detail all around is awesome and has a certain precise rhythm to it that i love. Awesome work!

-v

Raiden’s Face looks great!

Very Nice.

7 days? that’s crazy. What kept you from not burning out when you have to make models at this rate?

Anyway, good job! I particularly like the way you detailed Raiden’s head.

Great job on both characters!:+1: It is the best Raiden has ever looked wonderful details. Five stars from me, and Lord Raiden should be in top row.

Great Job on these guys man! Especially under such tight deadlines! I really enjoy the amount of detail you put into them and the topology is great for deformation. I agree…definitely top row.

Congrats on making an iconic character looking even better. Great detail. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

7 days now thats impressive.really nice work.love them both.Well done :)…

So they finnally decided to remove that chain armor :wink: ?

Wow impressive for 7 days ! each character ! your sculpts are pretty nice man ! well done!:cool:

cool stuff!