ZBrushCentral

Lord of Darkness - messiah and ZBrush

:warning: what’s this silo or Zforum? :roll_eyes:

xcellent effort tony :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

i see u used modo for this one. i’m realy interested how u like it?
i just could not get a hang of it, it’s got some cool features, but overall it just did not fit me. i didn’t have a good feeling about it after 15 minutes of trying it…tried to get used to it, to no avail.
for me it’s silo and wings (i like wings’s mirai based magnet tool)
hi to silo crowd :sunglasses:

wow, that’s some great work. It’s the devil from Ridley Scott’s Legend isn’t it ? I always thought this dude to be one of the best devil designs I’ve ever seen.

Fish
http://www.toonafish.nl

toonafish is right. it looks exactly like the evil hero in this movie. Its just amazing work! great materials, extraordinare modeling and texturing, superb lightning… no crits at all.

Congratulations! greetings froyd

superb_superb work… whoa :sunglasses:

Abyssis

Great work Tony. Thanks also for the time you took to do the Silo modelling tutorial at the nevercenter site. I learned a lot from it!

Great model Tony, i was very impressed by your Silo tutorials, is there a special
reason you used Modo on this project… UV mapping perhaps ?

jantim

I don’t want to get too much OT since this is a ZB forum, but the reason why I used Modo, was because I was testing it out for its organic modeling. I had a desire to model LoD for along time but didn’t feel I had the tools, but with ZB’s sculpting capability I finally felt that I could do some justice to it.

I still prefer Silo for organic modeling, due to a better streamline workflow I have with it than Modo, but Modo is a better all-around poly modeler as it is very ideal for hard-surface modeling as well as being capable for organic modeling.

With the upcoming next ZB update I am probably going to be doing most of my organic modeling in ZB from start to finish, with a separate app for UVs.

Cheers,

Tony, a long time LW modeler here. I haven’t tried Modo. Do you like the workflow and how would you compair it to LW? Your model is superlative! Any compairisons between Messiah and LW would also be appreciated along with your experience as to the Messiah learning curve. I’ve been considering getting “Air” renderer for LW just for its ability to render subpixel displacement.
Congradulations on a job well done!:smiley:

Thanks for comp guys!

I haven’t used LW since version 6 so I am not the best person to give LW-Modo comparisons, but the common opinion among LWers is that Modo is very much like LW and some ways better. I don’t like the workflow too much due to a feeling of bloatedness. It could be better streamline for more intuitive modeling, but after using it I sort of undestand why it is the way it is due to Modo’s particular tool interactivity. However, like I stated if you need an all-around solid poly modeler with very strong hard-surface modeling capability, Modo is probably the best bet.

For displacement, I think messiah is probably one of the best suited apps, after ZB and PRMAN. It renders displacement very fast and pretty accurately. I had 10 multi-displacement maps at 4Kx4K, 37MB each and messiah didn’t have any problems handling it, even with SSS and GI turned on. It also works almost flawlessly to setup ZB multi-displacement maps. These two apps work very well together.

messiah is missing alot of other features though, no geometry instances, no post-effects, no hair, no volumetrics(though that is probably going to in the next version). It is still a young when it comes to rendering, but what it does now it does very well.

Also, don’t forget, its rigging is top-notch and is a very capable realtime animation package.

Cheers,

Here is a sneak peak of the stuff I will show and talk about.

Cheers,

Wow!!! I love this character in the movie Legend… This is so great.!!! Congrat!!

Yong

I started the making of thread in CGTALK.com. For those interested you can go to the messiah forum or click this link

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=200732

Cheers,

:grimacing: …Infernal…nothing more…Yeah…!!!:rage:

That’s pretty cool work there Tony. Messiah looks to be a bit easier to setup than Maya, as far as getting the displacements to work. After seeing Taron’s work with Messiah, and yours, I’m pretty tempted to give it a shot.

I didn’t want to post in the thread at cgtalk, because I didn’t want to interrupt your thread. But I really appreciate you sharing your techniques. :smiley:

THis is an incredible example of the tools and quality available to the home user. thanks so much for the posts and the inspiration. Looking forward to seeing those facial bones in action, Curry’s preformance will be a style to capture in 3d
the possibilities.

Amazing work! It cracks me up cause i just bought a lord of darkness toy last night. http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=1578

Tom

I must say that tjnyc´s model has much more likeness with the original than the toy from that from www.spawn.com. There has some time gone by since i whatched that movie, but im sure abt that the toy has a thinner appearance, it looks cool, but it goes away from original.
What i want to say (again) is that tjnyc really did a great job, also - and especialy with preparation and research. I only can say: Tjnyc, thiis Artwork arouses my admiration in you. :smiley:

The funny thing is that I had an idea some weeks ago, whose base has some similarities. I wanted a full body character with high detail. So i splitted the model into different parts via polygroups after some basedetail was added. Then i saved every polygroup (head, body, hands, legs…) as single models. Now I was able to give every part a quite high polycount. Since every part keeps the old pivot from the complete model its eays to get all parts back in place where they belong. Just by placing the complete one (with low polycount) as i want, placing a marker and then placing all parts at that marker. That works really well and i can still have the benefits from ZBrush features like layers, fibre, cavity, materials ect… (although i must state that the messiah renderer seems really cool)
The basemodel looks like this:

and here is a link of an actual WIP where i brought all parts (if finished or not) together again.

Hope you like it. I will have to work very hard if i want to reach your skill one day… I love your accuracy!

btw: grats for that tutorial on cg talk. You explain things with a very efficient and understandable speech.

greetings
froydtest6.jpg

your image need a new thread.

Impressive character Froyd.

tjnyc: No words for your work, it´s really awesome. FANTASTIC.