ZBrushCentral

Etcher_Sketcher

Hey Etcher, very nice work on the skull !
You are the man with the plan :sunglasses:

Keep it up

Wow, thank you so much Etcher! :slight_smile:
Feels like I´m back in school. Great presentation/explanation!

“Keep in mind though that this “reverse anatomy sculpt” is not a good way to study anatomy imo”

Hehe…:slight_smile: I´m not going to try this now. Too complicated!
I have to start with simple things.
But I´ve been soo curious --that´s why I had to ask. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for answering all of my questions!

Great anatomical study, Etcher! Something I need to do. I’m sure it’s paying off. :+1:

wow - very nice work here Etcher - :D:+1:

Unbelievable study Etcher. Fantastic!! I’m pretty much speechless.

not only is your study very good but i have to compliment you on the way your presenting your work as well. really top notch work, its fantastic. you should do a series of other famous busts as well, i would love to see how you handle a bust of Julius Cesar. your method of learning anatomy here has become one of my favorite threads to visit. nice work all around, sometimes a vertual autopsy session is nessesary…Hmmm, i think i just got an idea…

Lucky_1: Thank you so much for checking out the updates, and the nice comment, cause like I said, I worked so damn hard on that skull, and it’s still far from finished. You’re right about the plan, but don’t tell anyone, okay? :wink: shhh… .

Moni-Poroni: you’re welcome! Lookin’ forward to your new worx! :+1: !

Marsyas: Thank you so much for takin’ the time to check out my sketchbook, I’m glad you like it! Well, are you shure you need to do anatomical studies, cause your worx look pretty spot on anatomy-wise :+1: !

• FoOD -: FoOD, thank you for stopping by man and givin’ me the extra energy boost to keep goin’! You have no idea how those quick noodles on your thread inspire me!

maxinkuk: Really appreciate you takin’ the time to have a look; you upped the pressure again, cause you definitely know anatomy :slight_smile: ! Man, you did a fantastic job on Damage, the hands, and now… 4 hands… ow man! :slight_smile: ,:+1: !

threetails: threetails, a sincere thank you for the great comments on my work. It is an honour and unbelievable motivation for me to have someone with your skills checking out my sculpts and giving feedback on them! :+1: !
Regarding the busts: you’re so right, but when… :cry: , I still gotta finish this écorché, then try and make the Dante skin study realistic and polypaint it… .
About the virtual autopsy: I thought we’d agreed to Pixologic not to disclose any info on the Virtual Autopsy Brush Toolset until the plugin goes into Beta. But hey, since you brought it up, I might as well tell you that the Scalpel brush is working fine now (after finetuning, the excessive bleeding problems have stopped), I’m already lookin’ forward to trying out the Amputation Saw Brush and the Brain Drill Brush! See the pic below for the first results!

So, Here goes:

Etcher_Sketcher_Theatrum_Anatomicum_Post_006: Virtual Autopsy Test - blame Threetails

CWCID: the worx of many artists on ZBC made it clear to me that anatomical studies are crucial if you want to improve your sculpting or drawing skills:Ryan Kingslien, Zack Petroc, Alex Oliver, Scott Spencer, Scott Eaton, Nick Zuccarello, Arran Lewis, … . Did you see how an accomplished artist like threetails used this method to build up his Witiko sculpt (superhero contest)?Also, check out the works of Intervain (speedy models) PSTCHOARTand anguyen: they really keep me humble and with both feet on the ground! And many more (but there’s too much info on ZBC, I still haven’t seen everything, so: please let me now which threads I am missing!). I owe a lot as well to anatomytools.com (Freedom Of Teach): I purchased Andrew Cawre’s Human Anatomy Male V3. It helps me a lot.

Post_67

Straight screengrab, then Photoshop a bit of blur and grain, lens distortion effect as explained by Nerveink in his thread: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/sh…hlight=nerveink
The sloppy blood paint job was done in ZBrush

Thanks again all, for stopping by! :+1:

Wow!really nice studies…
i like the skull very much.you got some great skills…
keep it up…
cheers…

:+1:

Great thread, Etcher.
I can’t agree more about the anatomy. Most of the problems with ZBrush character art are a result of anatomy flaws or proportional flaws. In some ways, the incredible power of ZBrush to add fine detail means that a lot of artists spen way too much time detailing sculptures when it’s the basic forms which are incorrect. Just like any figurative art, it’s so critical to the overall success of the piece to get those basic volumes correct before detailing begins.

hey etcher… many thanks for your kind words on my thread :slight_smile:

the studys are just awesome!! the skull looks perfect.
for your last pic i have one little crit: if the skin would be opened with hooks like this, it would swing more… i hope, you know, what i mean… i added a little paintover…

anyway, it looks nice. keep it up! :slight_smile:

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘131151’,‘Dante_Virtual_Autopsy_002%20Kopie.jpg’,1,0))

Pease…please…call the doctor!!! :wink:
I´m feeling so sick right now. :slight_smile:

i like the concept, but you should put a serious expression of pain on that face, or make him look dead and have a dead expression. right now it just doesn’t seem to work.

Nice! check out some of the anatomica books showing the wax figures in process, the colors are great and i think this type of sculpt would benifit from that aged destaturated look, i’ll try and find some ref and post it in your thread if i can find it.

Etcher,

Juicy and informative.

Exceptional execution thusfar. Makes me want to rethink the anatomy of my sumo snott man.

Truly inspired idea to literally dissect the great works of the past.

When you start to feel the slightest bit insane, I suggest you apply your anatomical expertise and challenge yourself even further by dissecting classic cartoon characters like Ren and Stimpy or Mr. Burns.

Awesome thread. :sunglasses:

Kaarthikeyan: thanks for checkin’ out my sculpts, and the nice comment!

Royalwin: thank you man! I’m glad you like my worx. Quote:” I can’t agree more about the anatomy. Most of the problems with ZBrush character art are a result of anatomy flaws or proportional flaws. In some ways, the incredible power of ZBrush to add fine detail means that a lot of artists spen way too much time detailing sculptures when it’s the basic forms which are incorrect. Just like any figurative art, it’s so critical to the overall success of the piece to get those basic volumes correct before detailing begins.”

Music to my ears ! Totally agree! Imo it’s not just a ZBrush problem, you see so many people jumping in to the details with real clay, or even with pencil drawings, but then again, I think I’ll probably suck at putting in the fine details… .

Wethand: I’m glad you like my worx! Thank you so much for taking the time to make that paintover. This was just a rush job to get the idea out, I combined the models as they were. But I’ll definitely follow your suggestions when I’m putting together the final piece! Thanks man!

Moni-Poroni: Sorry man, but I’m afraid it’s not going to get any better… .

Polyguns: Hey man, thanks for taking the time to comment on the pic. I gotta admit it was a bit of a rush job, trying to get the idea out, I slapped together the sculpts I’m working on. The skin subtool is in an early development stage, no fine detailing etc. I’ll keep your suggestions in mind (always keep an open mind man!)when I start the definitive sculpt. Lookin’ forward to your feedback on that one!

Threetails: Thanks for taking the time to look at the pic. I think you’re right about the “aged wax” look. It’s going to be a blast testing that out when putting together the final piece! Thanks again for the info!

Ravioli_rancher: thanks for checking out my thread man! Hey man, you hit the nail on the head: Ren and Stimpy Vivisection, performed by Johnny The Homicidal Maniac- special guest: Sumo Snott man! I’ll hold you to it man!

Gruesome! :wink: Looking good! :+1:

Wow…that’s looking mighty gruesome…and cool. :+1:

Always have to love gory! How far to you plan on taking him??

Hi Marsyas! Thanks for checking out the updates! But, come on man, gruesome? It’s just anatomy :smiley: !

Hi SolidSnakexxx! Hey man, I’m so glad you could find the time to check the updates and post a comment, glad you like it and thanks for the energy boost! :+1: !

Hi GregStrangis! Thank you so much for taking a look at my sculpts, glad you like them, but “gory”, c’mon man, this is some serious anatomy study !!! :laughing: ! I’m planning on taking him all the way: veins, glands, fat deposits, polypaint (probably finishing him end 2012…)

So, I hope I’ll be able to post some updates and/or new worx next week!
Thanks again for all the nice comments!

Yo man, Etcher, your stuff always please and inspire me…Look forward to your next :wink: