ZBrushCentral

Commander--Process Thread

great character Michael. Thank you for sharing so much.

Whew, thanks guys, got a little side tracked. Here’s a boot breakdown you might get a kick out of; getting the process image under 750k while still being readable cost me some pixels, but you can grab the full res from my art station page if it’s a little blurry for you:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ogd3y

There’s also a video companion series to the process image; 18 vids, almost 2 hours long:

[youtubepl]PLkzopwqcFevaDy-U52txGwx9mxDXiFh8h[/youtubepl]

BootProcessZBC.jpg

untitled.353.jpg

Attachments

BootProcessZBC.jpg

untitled.353.jpg

All Hail Michael!
Seriously, you do such a great job not only when sculpting coll stuff, but also when it comes to teaching people. It is always a pleasure to watch your videos. They are both educative and entertaining so when you release something new I just grab a cup of tea and some cookies and have real fun which is equal to watching a good film.
So thanks a lot and keep rocking!

I couldn’t agree more with Vir !

Michael, your sculpts are always something to be admired. However, you are greatly gifted in the art of instruction. I would think that Pixo would hire you to produce DVD tutorials for all of their projects. (? maybe they do… or maybe you’ve moved on to other things)

Thank you once again for all of your time and effort. It will be a while before I can sit and view this new collection of videos, due to the weather being more than pleasantly beautiful outside !

Thanks again Michael

DougE

Thanks for the kind words guys! I enjoy doing the instructional videos, I really wish I had more time to do them; right now I kind of sneak them in at night and on weekends lol.

Here’s a sneak peek of my next set; it’s unlisted right now (I try and give my series a little breather in between); you guys might find something of interest in there:

[youtubepl]PLkzopwqcFevYpcinb91BKc22Kv3-g8pHL[/youtubepl]

I’ll update this thread as I continue to plink away at the “final” for this guy in the meantime!

Nice little tutorial on the boot. The rest of your work simply amazes me. Thanks for showing this cool stuff!

nice.good job.

Seeing it from start to finish is super awesome!

Thank you for sharing this.

The character design style you executed is so beloved, and that guy is hitting all the stars of what makes those type of characters cool.
Exemplary project :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

WOW amazing job, amount and quality of details are astonishing.
Many thanks for sharing your tutorials ! Keep it coming :slight_smile:

Good to see this thread on the Top Row. Mike is the Jedi knight of Zbrush. :+1:

So that little shotgun-in-an-hour playlist was mind-blowing! In an hour! Couldn’t quite believe it’s even possible, yet here we are. Amazing stuff. Well done, and thanks for sharing.

nagulovSo that little shotgun-in-an-hour playlist was mind-blowing! In an hour! Couldn’t quite believe it’s even possible, yet here we are. Amazing stuff. Well done, and thanks for sharing.

oh man, it’s so fun too! one of the many reasons I love ZBrush.

And heck, without blabbing about what you’re doing while you’re doing it, and being able to think without speaking, you could probably get that down to 30 minutes easy if you were so inclined, with tighter, closer to final details (especially with the correct insert meshes). Super fun!

This is awesome. Great workflow!

Hey Michael, great stuff. Will pick up the gun lesson as well. Thanks for all you do!

I remember your talk about proceduralism (guess it was gdc 2015) - one of the best talks I ever heard, very strong message

I have one crit about the boot, and I want to share it, since I see this so often.

hope it´s ok to link a reference image:

2_170_e.jpg

the inner side of the sole has a very distinct bend. I guess, people often miss it, since it´s not so obvious when viewed from above.

:+1:

Good point; I’d imagine most people probably have a bottom of a boot picture up while they’re doing at least the treads though (I know I did)…just got lazy with the concept to final translation haha. I wills say those 3/4 views aren’t doing them any favors; they’re not super tapered in the ankle and pointed at the toe, but they’re also not rectangles like they appear in the orthographic view captures:

bootbend.jpg

But from a bull****ter artistic license laziness excuse I’m going to go with this grizzled 450lb cyborg isn’t going to be sporting any pointy toed ankle tapered standard issue military boot, and…the universe he lives in has really bad foot anatomy :lol:

fair enough :slight_smile:

keep up the great work!

Watching your boot tutorial now, you are a very effective and inspiring teacher. Thanks for sharing your great workflows : )

Told you I’d be back! First, some texturing walkthrough videos; not super ZBrush-centric (I’ll get to the zbrush stuff below), but a decent high-level overview:

michael-pavlovich-texturedall001.jpg
Full body; my wife was calling him “Corporal Bill” as I was working on him, so I went ahead and made him a Corporal. Took me about a day to texture him up in Painter on my laptop; he’s a fairly beefy file (11 texture sets) but didn’t have any real problems with him. A bit of that time was researching Italian military stuff…didn’t find too much, and the stuff I did find I wasn’t sure if I was translating correctly. I’d like to do a bunch of variants of this guy, he was super quick and actually FUN to texture, so going back in and changing the “flavor” would be cool

michael-pavlovich-artstationthumb02.jpg

michael-pavlovich-wires.jpg

Wire frame of the game res; I did ZRemesher for his body, pants, and cloak (high res pants and cloak made in Marvelous Designer, then zremeshed > projected > detailed in ZBrush). I did ZSphere retopology for the complex shapes, anything that used ZModeler with dynamic subdivisions was just simplified (edges deleted or collapsed using either the Geometry > Edgeloop menu or manually with ZModeler) for the game res. Did a little game res cleanup in Maya as well.

Attachments

michael-pavlovich-texturedall001.jpg

michael-pavlovich-wires.jpg