ZBrushCentral

***Announcing ZBrush 3.5 and GoZ for Windows and MacOSX

Great news!
Thanks Pixologic Team!

That is awesome. Normal and Displacement maps from HD geometry. I think that’s the best upgrade yet. Way to answer our calls Pixologic

I also think this is a great call. Much better than postponing an august upgrade, and much better than releasing new feature sets too early. 3.5 looks like it will offer plenty of enhancements and I’m looking forward to it :+1:

I wish they make topology creation and retopology more intuitive. I don’t want to leave Zbrush to do polygonal modeling in some other application. Secondly who cannot be awestruck by voxels. Voxels or volumetric modeling is the future. For concept artists, illustrators and hobbyists such as me a polygon free workflow is indispensible. Pixologic is a pioneer, and I am really surprised that they didn’t develop volumetric modeling. I have tried the demo of 3D Coat. it is a bit rough, but i am smitten.

So more intuitive retopology.

and the revolutionary volumetric sculpting feature please.:slight_smile:

As a customer, I have some conflicting thoughts on this:

1. The 3.5 update sounds amazing and I am really looking forward to using it. I am doubly grateful that it is a free upgrade and will be released when everything works and is stable.

2. Pixologic is the most innovative company out there in 3D. I imagine your whole team is rally passionate and excited about what they do. Your absolute visionaries.

3. As is the case with alot of visionaries, you are also the WORST at meeting deadlines. Which most of us are willing to overlook because we love your product and your company.

However, I can’t imagine longterm success if this continues because at some point there will be more competition who offer all the same features. And once there is alot of competition, it all comes down to customer service and user experience. All you have to do is get better at realistically predicting what you can accomplish in a given set of time. The constant changing of release names and changing of dates just makes you look disorganized. Kind of like a company with ADHD, the gifted kid who has the coolest and best ideas, but never hands his homework in on time.

Ok, sorry for the long rant, but this was bugging me. I love Zbrush and am going to be a long term user, but I would love to see you guy’s improve in this one area.

Matt

1. It means those exported Maps will be 16-bit
  2. I think Pixolator meant to say multiple textures per tool (at least that’s how it’s been in 3.12 - 3.2), not sub-tool… but maybe they changed things up a bit more.

Actually, when you mask a part of a model especially using an alpha, and then sculpt it, the sculpted model is stepped, due to the lack of precision of the 8 bits mask.
3.5 seems to solve this problem.

GhostFx : voxel sculpting free you from topology constraints, but it has also some drawbacks : speed, lack of subdivision levels, surface blending problems…

ZappLink for OSX? Can’t use it in production without that…

very cool! :+1:

Absolutely can’t wait…counting the days:D

Since it early days ZBrush as made many of my interests in 3D and digital image making easier to indulge in. As usual I am excited about the up and coming release and its new features, they are just in time for the increase of my 3D workload. Thanks Pix for helping me become an efficient Pro.

Arran Lewis

god i wish i was on the beta team…

What fabulous news. My question would be does the multiple maps mean that we can finally use multiple templates to work on at the same time, seamlessly. Like say someone wanted to do a really interesting texture map for DAZ3D’s Victoria 4 or Michael 4 (both have multiple template maps). Right now it’s too much jumping through hoops to make that work well enough in ZBrush so I tend to shy away from the process! :frowning:

Regardless of this itch to have an answer too, thanks again, very generous of you guys making both updates free! WOW!! :smiley:

All last year, during the delays of 3.0 for Mac I was very vocal in my criticism of Pixo and I stopped using Zbrush because I had to switch between two machines (Mac and PC). With 3.2 I started using zbrush again but could never get the displ maps right, always seems and artifacts. I downloaded 3.2 and not only does GoZ make moving models over to Maya rally easy but the displ and normal maps work perfectly. I just downloaded Renderman for maya upgrade last night and on my first render all the maps and detail are there with no tweaking. That was awesome. I am finally able to really harness the power of Zbrush to its fullest and am enjoying spending a lot of time with your application. I can wait patiently for the updates, as I have a workable tool for the first time in a long time.

thanks.

Would be awesome if the GoZ thingy would have some buttons in it like “Disp2Maya”. What I mean is, when clicking, say “Disp2Maya” the script will:

-Create the 32-bit floating point Dmap with all the ‘best’ settings.
-Automatically convert it to .map
-Automatically apply a new blinn shader to the mesh in Maya -with the Dmap plugged in correctly. (With that, have the nSubdivisions applied by doing some math function, like, say, you’re wanting the Dmap made to displace from subdivision level 1 to 6; well, 6minus1 is 5, so put in 5 for nSubdivisions automatically…) I dunno…?

-Automatically set the color gain and offset (2.2, -1.1)
-Automatically apply the subDivision approximation
-Automatically run that bit of MEL that Scott Spencer talked of; where you’ll ‘kill the seams’.

Yeah, all of this is fairly easy to do, but it does take a noob a good handful of times to get it all down pat. I just think it would be a nice time out to grab a soda and let the dog out while it did that work. Besides, it is a tech thing which just takes time out of artestry.

Pinch me?
~Andrew R. Shelton Sr. (Drew)

Hell yes.
I can’t wait 'till the end of the month

So…

Where is the Zbrush 5/3.5 beta testers gallery!

Maybe I should have read the post just before my last one (see 4 or 5 posts up)… ilmostrog said that he/she was already using GoZ (MAC envy here), -Said something about the normal and displacement maps work perfectly; no tweaking…

SO, does this mean that GoZ will spit those maps and be ‘all set’ in Maya?
If so, CandyLand, if not ZB4?
Let me know, you MacHeads! :slight_smile:

InFrigginCredible!
~Andrew R. Shelton Sr. (Drew)

Gosh!

I know many of you can’t stop complaining, or stating how much better another app is, etc., but really stop and take a breath and think… if Zbrush really isn’t doing it for you why are you using it? Why not jump to that awesome tool you keep waxing on about???

Oh wait, I know this one…

As for the update from Pixologic on the state of things, it is appreciated by many of us who use the tools daily making a living. We would love to see versions and plugins released at the same time though for Mac/PC platforms to cut down on frustration. However a month apart isn’t the worst thing if all is working across platforms in the app and the plugins.

I still find it funny how many of us in the various industries use this tool daily and large and small projects, meeting deadlines, being creative and all in a fraction of the time of a few years ago. Maybe some of you need new batteries… :wink:

Grooovy!