ZBrushCentral

2015 Sketchbook

Amazing job I love you anakuris model big darkstalkers fan 2 quick questions if you don’t mind me asking how long have you’ve been working with 3d art and 2 do you have any tips on getting that nice cell shading look on your anakuris model im trying to get a good 2d 3d look for my models but just cant get it right with the shadows and details on the model itself, are you using the posterization option in zbrush if so hod do you get such good shading shadows and details to show on your model thanks again XD.

Thanks for your comment FND1234! I’ve been working in 3D seriously, or on a daily basis since around 2010. I did a few tutorials between 2007-09. But my first real character was done, or started in 2010 when I was in school.

As for the cell look, I just used the standard Framer02 Mat and dropped down the cavity settings. I think that shot is just a screen grab from ZBrush, not even a BPR.

Gonna call this one done. Loads of stuff I would change but gotta move on. Had fun finishing him up after a long hiatus though.

Started this one last Thursday after work. Hadn’t sketched anything in a few days and wanted to do something fresh. I used a photo from pinterest as reference for this guy. Had a lot of fun in the process.

blueHat_final-cropped.jpg

sketching around yesterday and today: I was attempting to sculpt a bust of a pretty lady but got frustrated and
turned her into a vampire aztec-ish creature thing. Went a bit further than the bust and blocked out a quick outfit.
No idea if I’ll finish but it was fun just sculpting for the hell of it.

nice work…keep posting man

made a few more changes to my vampire design. Going to try and keep this one going through all of the distractions.

vampire-071415-2.jpg

Apocalypse sculpt for today. Little rough around the edges…more than I’d like it to be, but felt the need to doodle today.

apocalypse_comp2-2.jpg

looks really nice.;):wink:

Feel free to doodle, and doodle often. This is good stuff! Good forms, materials and lighting. A great day’s work!

@Diablo, @regmonroe - thanks for the kind words, and for stopping by.

Rough weekend this week, er busy rather. Picked up a new project that I can’t show yet so had very little time to do personal stuff.

I was able to sketch this guy out this morning though. Super rough & quick, mainly focused on being able to hash out a design within little time,
plus I wanted to get back into doing creatures…like I said I would a month ago. As you can see, I sort of didn’t do a creature, but at least that was
the initial approach :). Man I wish I had more time…

bugManium2.jpg

No idea if anyone else goes through this, but I often find myself kicking out a few renders to “test the waters” or direction in where I want to take my ideas…especially for my quick sketch thingies. I’m also usually reluctant to post those test renders because they usually look like poop. Today however, I thought I’d share one of my test renders of Red Skull. It’s not as bad looking as the first but its definitely not there yet. Also, constructive pointers or crits are welcome as I’m always looking to learn new things on how to improve.

red-skull-comp2.jpg

Made quite a few changes but think I’m going to call this one done.

redSkull_final-2.jpg

Man, I had a lot of fun with this one. Finally faced my fear of retopo in ZBrush and learned some nano mesh tricks. Zmodeler brush does a great job at making retopo more user friendly. Definitely going to go that route again.
Now, I kinda want to make full body of mr Doom after this :).

doom_final_50%.jpg

Man, this came out great! Very nice work. So, the nano mesh, I’m guessing, is the repeating circles behind the mouth?

Keep going msn, your work is looking really good.

Thanks guys :).

@dopepope - Yeah, I used it on the mouth vent. I also tried using a thread pattern I made to wrap around the hood and cape. Didn’t come out the way I liked, so I left it off until I have more time to explore.

got a little personal sculpting in tonight. Didn’t have anything in mind to sculpt so took this busted Batman piece I started awhile back, reworked and exaggerated the shapes a bit more and this came out. May go back and change the composition on this though…something seems a little off. Must get rest now though.

batman_comp1.jpg

second attempt. not really feeling this one that much either. Batman is one of those characters I’ve been unsuccessful in getting him to look the way I like. One day I’ll do a proper Batman.

batman_comp2.jpg

wip of a character I’m working on for the Retrogasm Facebook Competition. I chose to make Adam Hunter from Streets of Rage. I’ll post a few more progress shots soon.