ZBrushCentral

tutorial: getting normal map from Zbrush3

Cool… ok I will try out and post a result… thanks[[if it works that is…:lol:]

THis is so cool!!! but hey what Alpha Depth Factor number would be best?

ZMapper dosn’t work with Zbrush3 or? Will it ever?

Thanks

Lee

Great , I was in need of just this very tip…Thanks

The old Z2 plugin won’t work in Z3 (ever), but a new version is coming for Z3.

No release date other than “soon”.

this’ll work for xsi users… export a high res .obj and a low res. (my hi rez was 4.2 mil poly’s) import them into xsi and use the ultimapper to generate your normal map. the normal map from ultimapper is clean and looks amazing, so much better than the blurry mess that zmapper ever put out. Im not sure if maya or max can handle the hi rez obj’s but you should try it to see if it will work.
hope this helps.

@kryssman

I love the ultimapper too but i’ve had a normal map take over night…do you have the same problem? my comptuer is brand new still and it’s always taken forever to get my map. just curious if you use some setting or something that speeds it up…any recommendations?

at work we used the poly reduction tool at 50% then subdivided twice. only took a few minutes to export the the normal map.

this'll work for xsi users... export a high res .obj and a low res. (my hi rez was 4.2 mil poly's) import them into xsi and use the ultimapper to generate your normal map. the normal map from ultimapper is clean and looks amazing, so much better than the blurry mess that zmapper ever put out. Im not sure if maya or max can handle the hi rez obj's but you should try it to see if it will work. 
hope this helps.

I formerly figured out a similiar way in Cinema 4D at a time when there was no ZMapper developed.
No I think it’s time to do it again.:roll_eyes:
But if I remember right, ZMapper produced better results than the feature that is build-in C4D.

@Kinston2: Good work.:+1:
I will try this in the next days.

OT:
@ Never Met A German: You never met a German ? Wrong. :grimacing:
Right now you did. :laughing:

Anybody else having the following problem?

I have a complex model imported from maya and when I create the normal map some of the forms in the normal map have reverse normals. When I export the model from zbrush to maya it has has all normals reversed.

I’ve had some more simple models that have had all the normals flipped and the problem has solved just by reversing the normals in maya, but now the map of the latest model I’ve been working on has some forms reversed and some don’t.

In the end found some information on an other thread for the normal
flipping problem.

It got solved flipping the normal map´s green and red channels!

i still dont understand why this thread isnt sticky.

Yo, wassup I`m a newbie, and just started with Zbrush 3. Do you know where I can find this material, or do you have to have Zbrush 2 to do this, if so, can you send me a copy of the material I need. I will be very glad if you could. you can send it to high_en_mighty@hotmail.com

I linked to the material earlier in the thread, but I guess it got buried.

I don’t expect anyone’s gonna e-mail you, though. Private replies don’t help the next person. If you’ve got notifications turned on, ZBrush Central will send you an e-mail. Otherwise, check back for replies like a normal person. You’re the one with the question, after all.

Yo Aaron,

It doesn`t matter…thanx anyway for the updated link. Gonna give it a try.

Glad it was helpful.

Sorry I was a jerk. Not sure what gets into me sometimes.

wassup,

thanx for the tut. I was wondering which texture presets you used to get this displacement map. I tried this on a more complex model, and my displacement map was strechted.

Does this technique work with multiple UV spaces? Because I’m getting all my UV’s condensed in to one UV set. Any suggestions?

Cheers for sharing

Here`s a tip to make this normal mapping look better.

Take the normal map that you just made on ZB3 using this technic, into Photoshop. Then copy the original layer a few times, (as many as you need).
assign to each layer a overlay blend and your done.

This would rebuild the normal map and it would look it better on render.

Ps, leave the first layer in a normal blend.

Enjoy. :smiley:

Any question? email me <javier@javiarte.com>

just make sure you run the nvidia normal map filter after you do the overlayed layers in photoshop. it will look alot cleaner if you do this.