ZBrushCentral

Topology Brush weird behavior

Hi, first of all I’m new to ZBrush - still using 2018.1 trail version.

I am curently trying to retopo my model using the topology brush, it seem however thet the brush has other plans, as it’s acting like, what I’d assume, is not intended.

So the main problem is, the curve created by the topology brush often doesn’t snap to the already existing points. I have even had cases that, even when I had my mouse cursor exactly above the point, it snaps away from it to a not intended place.

Another issue is that sometimes a point appears in the middle an edge for no reason.

Both those issues prevent faces from being created.

Now the questions:
-Is there a way to prevent those wicked behaviors?
-Is it possible to perform a weld points operation on a curve-mesh?
-Is that even a big deal, or should I just ignore it and just do weld points and then fill holes after extracting it as a subtool-mesh?

It would be great if I had the answers, as right now 95 percent of my retopo time is me dealing with the brush being retarded. Thanks!

The only thing I discovered, so far is that lowering the curve step helps a little bit but not all that much.

Hello @TheArchlich!

There is no reason to do this any longer. Please upgrade to the 2020 trial version.

Using the topology brush is more often about creating points at the intersections of the adjoining lines, rather than trying to snap to existing points. If you are trying to target a point, make sure to zoom in, and that the target point is highlighted before drawing your line. It may help to reduce the size of your brush radius for accuracy.

That said, it would be impossible for me to say without observing your work whether there may be something wrong with your setup–for instance an issue with your tablet–that may be negatively affecting your accuracy.

Be sure to watch videos like this, to observe the proper behavior of the brush, to separate usage issues from something else that may be amiss. If you determine there is some sort of technical issue, this needs to be directed to Pixologic Support, via ticket.