ZBrushCentral

Thread of Madness - Joseph Drust

I like the tan and brown color scheme. I think the paint job makes this guy - how did you approach the textures?

@slothkins: The ‘Nasa’ decals were done with labels inside of Keyshot. Intersecting models with different materials created the other texturing like effects.

Quick Mecha for today; think I am going to create a few more of these guys. I recorded a timelapse of this one as well; will post it up soon.

MechBot_00.jpg

MechBot_01.jpg

MechBot_02.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

MechBot_01.jpg

MechBot_00.jpg

MechBot_02.jpg

Oh, I like this guy! The stripes and the blocky design give him a little bit of a “if Chris Foss did mechs” vibe. I hope you show your texturing in the vid, because I can’t quite figure out the ‘intersecting models with different materials’ technique you mentioned.

@slothkins: I’ll make an image to explain the intersection models :slight_smile:

Here is another quick one, a Dune Buggy concept

Buggy_02.jpg

Buggy_01.jpg

Buggy_04.jpg

Buggy_03.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

Buggy_04.jpg

Buggy_02.jpg

Buggy_01.jpg

Buggy_03.jpg

@slothkins: Here is an image on the geometry intersection process. You basically just put two different materials on two pieces of geometry and when they intersect they create the effect. It’s similar to Photoshop Layer Masks but for 3D :slight_smile:

Intersections.jpg

Here is the timelapse for the Mech; It should be Gema safe :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/Wc1racFLJoI

-Joseph

Attachments

Intersections.jpg

Yep, this one works. Thanks for taking care of that.

The madness for today :slight_smile: Another quick mech; used Shadowbox and ZRemesher a bit with this one. I recorded a timelapse ill post it soon :slight_smile:

redh_01.jpg

redh_01a.jpg

RedHMech_Angle02.jpg

RedHMech_Angle03.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

RedHMech_Angle02.jpg

RedHMech_Angle03.jpg

redh_01a.jpg

redh_01.jpg

HOLD UP! I’m still trying to decipher that first mech video. I think how you’re doing the materials with multiple copies and noise is voodoosauce. I’m having trouble following it even frame by frame. I hope at some point you can do a short real-time video with with some narrative to illustrate these processes.

I think this is the best of the mech series so far. It’s like an evolution/mash-up of the first two. It looks like he could also go down on his ‘knuckles’ and walk ‘gorilla-style’, which would be cool to see.

Neat stuff. Definitely going to have to try that texturing technique.

@Slothkins: The process is basically the same one used in this ZClassroom tutorial here: ZClassroom Workshop - Architectural Design
Let me know if that helps!

Here is the timelapse for the RedH Mech:

-Joseph

Wow, that was great. Noisemaker+Offset=crazy. I really like these kind of controlled chaos explorations. Thanks!

PURE ENERGY
think about it. ya gotta watch just for the soundtrack :slight_smile: hehehe. nice technique w/ the layering shadowboxes.

Thanks for sharing the timelapse, Joseph. Very interesting!

A delight to watch the vids - were this disco you would be burning up the floor. As for me I follow at 0.25 speed whilst nodding my head respectively.

That surface noise offset/clipping trick, a veritable back somersault I tell ye - it thrills me each time I see it.

Very inspiring to watch, not merely with regard creation but also flow.

Hi Joseph - awesome Madness in here!!! Thanks for sharing (man, the amount of contributions you have made to ZBC / Zbrush over the past years
 ) :sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

I found great inspiration here! Very useful tips for concept art too! Thank you so much for sharing this man! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Thanks all for the kind words!

Here is today’s randomness; still having fun creating these Mechs :slight_smile:

TenticleMech_02.jpg

TenticleMech_01.jpg

TenticleMech_03.jpg
TenticleMech_04.jpg

MechArmsBack01.jpg

-Joseph

Attachments

TenticleMech_01.jpg

TenticleMech_02.jpg

TenticleMech_04.jpg

MechArmsBack01.jpg

TenticleMech_03.jpg