ZBrushCentral

The OFFICIAL Monday Night Challenge Discussion Thread

Hey Rafael, I totally understand what’s going on. My last post was intended as my final on it. I need to catch some zzzz’s. :slight_smile:
I’m missing no points, friend. I see that MNC is decided by the chat group and posted by MTB. :+1: At one time I was in IRC chat and that was when the original rotational thing was going down, but that’s history. So you can see where I’m coming from…

I just wanted a challenge for the whole of ZBC. :+1: If MNC continues, it’s all good to me- I did participate on the Mascot one. If any further MNCs tickle my fancy I will again. :wink:

Thanks for your input, see you on the board. :slight_smile:

I tried three times to write something that would clarify my position in this debate without stirring anything up. I failed, so I will just say that I will still be in the Monday Night Challenge chats on irc.sorcery.net channel #Zbrush3. And will also try and do my best to get some European chat going (If anyone joins the channel on a Monday evening/night post it on the community forum please)

I need to clear up (or rather repeat) a point. MNC is all about advancing one’s skill in ZBrush. Subject matter or artistical inspiration is just a fluffer and is designed to be limiting for the purpose of concentrating on mastering the application.

Now, SC sigh okay we all know that this is the opposite of what you were suggesting the MNC do. But, it is a good thing to diversify artistically. I agree…but not in MNC. Now, when Pixologic starts their Challenges up, this should be remedied. I am sure they have noted your opinions as well as others. I do hope ZBC starts up its own challenge soon.

Another highly overlooked key to MNC is the interaction within the week(s) @ IRC. I post an image and someone wants to ask how I made a certain element…they PM me saying, "Pop into IRC tonight if you can so I may ask a few questions about your image…,” IN A PROFOUND VOICE And low, the knowledge is shared! lol And that’s what its about. This is not to say that someone from ZBC who doesn’t frequent IRC cannot PM me with the same question…as Ron said, though this challenge is all IRC…ZBC members are always welcome.

Also, one reason why we don’t divide MNC into new and advanced challenges is that we do not want to facilitate a division of the masses (even if it is the individual’s choice to place themselves). That’s not what the MNC goal was. Knowledge is its drive and so is passing that knowledge on.

I have Mentat to thank for my current knowledge and experience in ZB and IRC. IMO and I am sure most in IRC too…Mentat is and shall ever be an entity synonymous with MNC and what it is all about.

This is also the reason why I started it all up again. He has taught me too much with IRC/MNC for me to just sit and let it die…especially with such a boost in new users. Oh yeah…gives Ron a big hug Thanks buddy! The reason why I am apologetic lately is that MNC has now suffered a little because of conflict and a lack of understanding. Though I know it won’t really change, in so many ways, it already has. I am both sad and angry but there is nothing to be done now save to move on.

Well, I am at work and getting paid to sit and discuss ZB is great…but I have to get to work…
:frowning:

Well, I wonder what this is all about: reading of “reigning”, who will/should take the lead over … exactly what??

What do we have here: we have a forum that is “regulated” by standard manners (and aurick if things get rough ;)), we have the possibility to post all kinds of pics, this is a democratic thing.
Let’s look at the immediate past: what exactly did Ron do?
Yep, he challenged every member that would be interested for some pics. He had a motto - what makes this differ from any “organized” challenge?? Simple: anybody can take part. There are no restrictions of any kind - not even quality is listed as a door to enter the challenge.

And now - please - tell me: what is missing if we all can do just that: think of a motto that is interesting, do a post and see what is coming in!!?
Nobody reigns, rules, leads - just some friendly members, trying to do their best with the soft of their choice (Painter…ooops, forgive me:ZBrush!! :smiley: ).

exactly…nobody ‘reigns’…there is no leader…only representatives of a higher purpose…uh oh…don’t want to sound religious…lol…thats a whole other battle.

I think this whole thing is a storm in a teapot. I enjoy the Monday night’s chat because they are fun…You get to meet other members on a different level and you learn something about the software that brought us together in the first place. I must say that I was a bit ticked when I saw the word ‘Official’ in Aurick’s post. This I am surprised at because Matthew is very good with words, and I am sure that his vocabulary is large enough to have found another word, unless there is more to it than meets the eye! What is wrong with “The Monday Night Challenge discussion Thread” This is my twopense worth, now let us go back to enjoying ZBrush! I certainly intend to! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

@ DeeVee: may I quote >>> “You get to meet other members on a different level and you learn something about the software that brought us together in the first place.” <<<

Now: learning something avout the software - I am doing this whenever I visit here: either in the forum or at the quicklinks. I get my questions answered (and often enough receive answers without having a question!).
Anything special to the challenge?

But more interesting: meeting members on a different level >> I don’t get the point there. Do you mean the direct contact via IRC - or … what???

I am only asking, because I never participated on one of those challenges, and this discussion made me kind of curious.

Peace guys… :sunglasses:
If people want to go to an IRC chat, that’s fine…(I don’t) If a group of people there want to do challenges, with their own criteria, that’s cool too…I just wanted to discuss topics and artistic challenge as a concept…
MTB did nothing wrong here, and in fact as I understand it, he’s the one who kept the idea going, after participation dropped temporarily, so for that he deserves credit.

Great discussion, and lively debate… :+1:

(And Joe? I believe Matthew used the word ‘Official’ as an indicator of the fact that this is a ‘Discussion’ thread, rather than the MNC thread which rightfully was not the place for this discussion…So, ‘Official Discussion Thread’, NOT ‘Official MNC Thread’… Hope that clears up the missapprehension for you… :sunglasses:

sc, your call for “peace” might indicate, that this is missing here - I can’t see that. I found a lot of interesting info here, some of it made sense - some … well: considering that I was not involved in a lot of things very often around this forum, it’s no wonder that I missed the one or other “fact” - that much for asking questions.
But: calm and peaceful - just curious!

Hey Z! :slight_smile:
Yep, interesting discussion, and yes, generally there is peace here…I was just expressing thoughts based on a long time here, and trying to make sure this doesn’t go to any place less constructive than it is now… :cool:

Yeah love n peace sounds good, let’s not pick at the scraps- dinner was yesterday. :slight_smile:

Hi all,

just wanted to paste here some comment I made in a past MNC, that, I think, has something in common with Stonecutter’s idea that started this whole discussion off :
Past MNC page
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>and a suggestion about next contest :
let’s have a plot driven challenge.
a theme instead of the typical “head
modelling” stuff. also something that
would rely more on everyone’s personal
vision than on technical ability. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Would not change a comma… :wink:

Thanks Vincent! :+1:
You put it a lot more clearly than I did…!
I was trying to suggest that abstract concepts, (NOT necessarily abstract ART), would be more interesting, more challenging, and more imagination driven as topics, than merely modelling ‘objects’…I meant no disrespect to anyone, but was motivated by a desire to see more ‘wing stretching’ in these challenges. I feel that if you have to get a ‘grip’ on the concept first, then decide how to depict it, there would be a natural exercising of the ‘artistic muscles’…
Thanks for digging that out…(I have a feeling it might have saved some ‘setting of hair on fire’ in this thread, if that concise commentary was available at the beginning!) :smiley: :wink: :roll_eyes: :sunglasses:

Well, I’m happy if it serves…
Now, I’ll be even happier if it serves…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Stone
Yes, exploration of new worlds of representation is very exiting! :cool:
You are the “Christophe Colomb” of Zland :slight_smile:
Pilou

I don’t know, but:
take all that has been said, put it in a big pot, boil it until all “unwanted fluids” have condensed - what do you think would remain?

Maybe I am wrong, but I can see it all leaning more toward pics that are done in a more careful way - maybe just as if this pic you are working on were the last pic that you ever would have the chance to finish!?
If that’s so (I am with it in every way): hey, this here is ZBrush, a “tool” where even “unskilled” (I have no other word, sorry) folks can do something colorful. And, the majority of all those users will remain at entry level, only scratching the surface of what is possible. For the others (call them gifted, ambitious, whatever), well: you can’t keep them from developing their skills anyway.
Only by saying something like “… we want more high-class thingies!!” you might change nothing and end up frustrated.

Like sitting in some ivory-tower, wondering why company is missing …
As I said, evolving to something “better” is something that I would go for, but: this you can’t demand, order - only for yourself.

And: I wonder if it is wise to do a post for this thread… BEFORE BREAKFAST :smiley: !!
(off to get coffeined)

Hi all,
i can’t partecipate to IRC channel … but i have a request for you: can you post the discussion (plain text) on this forum ?
In this way all can benefit of your insights.

cameyo

I agree with vincent in a way, to have some theme oriented challenges rather than just overly general Monster, heads, vehicles, etc. type challenges… That would put parameters on people to create a certain theme, while still giving them freedom as to how they create and express it… I think thats a better way to have people challenge themselves… For example, instead of just saying the next challenge is monsters… When everybody and their brother here has created a monster at one time or another… Have it a specific monster… Frankenstein, Wolfman, One-horned one-eyed flying purple people eater, whatever type creature… When you place a theme and make it specific and narrow down the options of what to make, you have people creating something they normally wouldnt be making… Thats the challenge… Just a suggestion… Regardless, Im glad the MNC is back in whatever form it takes and while Im not able to participate in every challenge, I still enjoy participating when I do, whatever the challenge.