ZBrushCentral

The African Warrior

Artwork developed during my LIVE “Fly On The Wall”, January Term, online classes (https://www.flyonthewall.studio).

I used one single loose reference: an old black and white, lowres image from the internet. That opened up a world of possibilities, because I had absolute freedom to idealize most of everything you see, using other subjects as references for the skin color and overall bone structure, without following anything specific.

Portraits can be very boring and the question often asked is “why?”. Why not to take a picture, since you are just copying what you see?

Well, here’s why, because in this case, the character is mostly made up. It’s an idealization. Free expression when it comes to the idealization of the form, combined with the fact that this was all hand sculpted in ZBrush, meaning, no commercial alphas, scans, blueprints, see-through of any kind were used here. All brushes and alphas are ZBrush defaults or derived from them. There IS creative freedom in portraiture, I guarantee.

I hope you like it.

0013%20copy 0012%20copy 0010%20copy 0008%20copy 0004%20copy 0001%20copy
Lighting4 Lighting3 Lighting2 Lighting1 closeup6 closeup5 closeup2 closeup1

-Kris

53 Likes

Keep practicing :smile:.
Bravo and hello.

1 Like

Really love how tactile this is, his face is incredibly interesting!

1 Like

Amazing work, I also really appreciate that you are promoting a workflow where artistry and quality comes first : )

1 Like

I love how you handled the feel of the different areas of skin .nice.

1 Like

Stunning…Great job…!

1 Like

:ok_hand::muscle:great job

1 Like

Really stellar work! :+1:

1 Like

mind blowing!

1 Like

N 1

1 Like

cool! It’s incredible!:+1:

1 Like

:sunglasses:
Pretty impressive…again.

1 Like

Amazing work again @Antropus! :clap::clap:

1 Like

Masterful work as always Antropus!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words! Much appreciated :slight_smile:
-Kris

Really really inspiring :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Amazing! Stuff like this is really motivating. Such a long path ahead, it’s exciting.

Would love to see the reference picture you used.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: African Warrior - Part II