ZBrushCentral

Splinter Cell: Conviction (Update May 10_page 5)

Really great stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed the game and looking at all th sweet character models.

Sycron - I dont know how many artist on the project used zbrush on Splinter Cell: Conviction. But, yes there is different field of expertise (texture artist, environnement modeler, level artist, character modeler etc. etc.). I know every one on the character team used zbrush on this project.

Cheer’s

Chris.

awesome

Excellent details, very inspiring.

wow thats amazing!

4 stars eh. well they’re pretty sweet for a game industry rush job. the clothing sculpting looks really nice, as do the textures. I think one area that could improve are the silhouettes. I guess the forms could be tightened up a tad. just sayin. if you want the 5 stars. lol :sunglasses:

Amazing works!!

I have been looking forward to seeing this ever since TigerZ posted his work from the first conviction that got cancelled.

Are these high poly zbrush renders, and textured max mental ray renders ?

Can we see some wire frames, or is there still a ubisoft policy against that?

What is the most common brush you use for cloth/material fold sculpting?

Great job:+1:

Baller - Thank you for the C&C. As for the silhouette, we were constraint to the characters rig shape and we had a weird modeling pose that didn’t help.

James01 - all renders that I did are with the the low res models in 3dsMax in scanline. Nothing fancy, basic 3 point lighting.

On splinter I use to always work with the standard brush for about everything but, we were using zb 3.1 back then. I know Rhye used a lot of custom brushes and played a lot with the mode of the brush.

Thank you for the comments, I will post some wire when I get the chance.

More image :slight_smile:

Concept art by Bruno Gauthier Leblanc, you can check out his blog at; http://inkertone.blogspot.com

Very inspiring work. I’m a student at Los Angeles Film School and to see this caliber of work really inspires me to continue to improve. Thank you for posting it.

amazing work, what a dream job you have,
thx for posting these

wow great amounts of detail, so inspiring. Love the suit sculpt, the main characters face and hair, especially the salt and pepper look. Awesome concepts!

Thanks for sharing, congrats on a great title.

cheers!

great stuff and congrats! Can you briefly show us the work flow between lowpoly models on normal map? like max setting etc! there are bunch of tuts for Maya but we need some for max users. Thanks heaps:D

Hi guys, great work on Splinter Cell Conviction, all the models and concept art look superb. If possible can you please shortly explain how you textured your characters, I’m guessing some texturing was done in Zbrush (mainly facial) but I would love to know more.

Also I am sure most of the guys on this board would also love to know your render settings and how you rendered your images, because the renders look very similiar if not identical to the in game look.

Thanks.

Hi folks, my name is Frédéric Jovet, and I was part of the character team on Conviction. Chris nicely asked other team members to join in his thread, so here are some assets I made for the game. I hope you’ll find this interesting.

I'm sorry about the lack of full characters and nice poses. Because the old Conviction (2007) was meant to be a social stealth game, and the crowd had a major role in the gameplay, we had a lego system in place allowing us to mix different body parts at will and create great variety. We kept this system till the end, even after the game design changed, and even for unique characters. So I actually didn't model any full character. It was really a team work for creating single characters as well, all along collaborating, sharing and exchanging pieces. So here are some I made early on (2007) in Zbrush 3.1. These pictures of civilians parts are successively screenshots from Zbrush and renders of the resulting low res models in Max (mental ray). [<!--[attach=192714]HIG-RES-cloth-01.jpg[/attach]-->]![HIG-RES-cloth-01.jpg|1200x600](upload://bnmuGs45OLZTWdKHbFXgvk0IrWU.jpeg) [<!--[attach=192715]LOW-RES-cloth-01.jpg[/attach]-->]![LOW-RES-cloth-01.jpg|1200x578](upload://1r5Qxec2lg5LwWfRFetrqm3mlnA.jpeg) [<!--[attach=192716]HIG-RES-cloth-02.jpg[/attach]-->]![HIG-RES-cloth-02.jpg|1200x480](upload://a8yaTv9kFYO5ZNbFOJxzgg4SX8B.jpeg) [<!--[attach=192717]LOW-RES-cloth-02.jpg[/attach]-->]![LOW-RES-cloth-02.jpg|1200x459](upload://cK4Maj6yHdrT8fvo48rM6bblu9q.jpeg)

[]HIG-RES-cloth-04.jpg

[<!--[attach=192720]LOW-RES-cloth-04.jpg[/attach]-->]![LOW-RES-cloth-04.jpg|1200x490](upload://6jfJAVazFqQ51zcgHVPREGVt7U6.jpeg) [<!--[attach=192721]HIG-RES-cloth-05.jpg[/attach]-->]![HIG-RES-cloth-05.jpg|1200x696](upload://o6eqyqOYERZxP42NTcHA2mcAraU.jpeg) [<!--[attach=192722]LOW-RES-cloth-05.jpg[/attach]-->]![LOW-RES-cloth-05.jpg|1200x696](upload://sSHUFSkVMwYGlMZHlj5gfErSf57.jpeg) [<!--[attach=192723]HIG-RES-cloth-06.jpg[/attach]-->]![HIG-RES-cloth-06.jpg|1200x505](upload://o8M21T1OktdHajPyA5f0ySdCqFG.jpeg) [<!--[attach=192724]LOW-RES-cloth-06.jpg[/attach]-->]![LOW-RES-cloth-06.jpg|1200x505](upload://4EcCOEim2XBDnEypSdC6vGnMDJL.jpeg)![HIG-RES-cloth-01.jpg|1100x600](upload://bnmuGs45OLZTWdKHbFXgvk0IrWU.jpeg)![LOW-RES-cloth-01.jpg|1100x578](upload://1r5Qxec2lg5LwWfRFetrqm3mlnA.jpeg)![HIG-RES-cloth-02.jpg|1100x480](upload://a8yaTv9kFYO5ZNbFOJxzgg4SX8B.jpeg)![LOW-RES-cloth-02.jpg|1100x459](upload://cK4Maj6yHdrT8fvo48rM6bblu9q.jpeg)![HIG-RES-cloth-04.jpg|1100x490](upload://nboIqYAP5IDaZnh5I7zOkfhhn46.jpeg)![LOW-RES-cloth-04.jpg|1100x490](upload://6jfJAVazFqQ51zcgHVPREGVt7U6.jpeg)![HIG-RES-cloth-05.jpg|1100x696](upload://o6eqyqOYERZxP42NTcHA2mcAraU.jpeg)![LOW-RES-cloth-05.jpg|1100x696](upload://sSHUFSkVMwYGlMZHlj5gfErSf57.jpeg)![HIG-RES-cloth-06.jpg|1100x505](upload://o8M21T1OktdHajPyA5f0ySdCqFG.jpeg)![LOW-RES-cloth-06.jpg|1100x505](upload://4EcCOEim2XBDnEypSdC6vGnMDJL.jpeg)

Here’s a batch of more recent work, from mid 2008 to late 2009. I didn’t even render the pictures this time around, so those are successively screenshots from Zbrush for the digital sculpting, or screenshots of the low res models in Max’s viewport, with DX9 display (sorry for the aliasing).

Grim’s body:
[]

[]

[]Anna_Jacket_l.jpg

Kobin’s body:
[]Kobin_Jacket.jpg

[]Kobin_Blazer.jpg

Black Arrow officer’s body:
[]

[]

Third Echelon dude’s jacket:
[]

Some Malta thug lower body:
[] []

And also, I made a couple of sculptures for the environments.

A sculpture for Malta’s museum:
[]

[]

Original version of the colossal Perseus in Kobin’s museum (it was modified later on by the level artists):
[]

And finally Abe for the Lincoln Memorial in DC:
[]

[ ][]

Hope you enjoy it. Cheers!

Very nice update Fred!!! Thank you for sharing

I’ll post my wires and lighting setup very soon, Been crazy busy with work this week.

Thank you for all the good comment!!! :+1:

Chris.

Yes thanks for sharing. :smiley:
Grim looks perfect.

absolutely beautiful work! Are the textures photo referenced?

wow…huge work…Fantastic… :smiley: :+1: