ZBrushCentral

Splinter Cell: Conviction (Update May 10_page 5)

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :smiley: Love the game big time, completed in 2 days!

Congrats man, awesome work indeed!!

cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Blown away by the level of detail!! Really top notch stuff. That leads me to some questions!

1.What were the low poly counts?
2.Resolution of maps?
3.How was zbrush used in your pipeline apart from sculpting the hi-rez?
4.Did you have any issues in the workflow that you thought were fantastic/could be improved upon?

Great work guys! congrats on top row

haohao!!! very nice Stuff!!!

excelent models!!
I like the Style of the first!!
congrats!!

awesome!

some “Grim” pics would be awesum

Killer! :+1:

Thanks alot for the comments! As for the questions, I’ll try to answer but sorry if I’m a bit vague on details.

First, I’ll add that me and betaone came as backup near the end for (mostly) P.E.C characters, thats why its most of our images are from multiplayer classes :slight_smile:

For the polycount if I remember well our target was around 10 or 12k triangles. It’s kinda hard to be precise because with P.E.C points, players can switch some pieces, add accessories…etc We tried to keep the highest possible combination at manageable polycount (the S.W.A.T was originaly built for P.E.C, that’s why I posted a light and heavy version).

Texture resolutions depended on the pieces. Since players could switch complete pieces, every section had its own texture (ranging from 256 and 512 for P.E.C if I remember well…).

As for zbrush in our pipeline, I dont think there’s anything special there. Sculpt from a base mesh built in max (or steal from another similar ztool from someone else :smiley: ), bake on low rez, texture in photoshop and that’s pretty much it. For faces we all used a universal base head mesh that share the same UV. We used zAppLink to texture them.

Issues with zbrush workflow? Not really actually… though Im really looking forward new tools like GoMax (haven’t tried it yet!)

I think that’s pretty much it… sorry if I missed some stuff in there but its already been 5 months that SC:Conviction is over for most of us :slight_smile: My memory for detail fails :stuck_out_tongue:

Really nice work, guys!!!

Awesome stuff guys. Just one question. What is the ideal time to do something like this. Or how much time did it roughly take for you to finish this?

Great work on characters dude.
Ya right Zbrush is a part of our pipeline for our models.
Actually I plan my workflow around zbrush.

good work did by you guys…
Cheers …:+1:

Gud Work… :smiley: :+1:

Thanks for posting these images guys, great stuff :+1: !

nice models :+1:

Really nice models dude ! Actually, i’m a french student, and i dream of working at Ubisoft Montreal as a 3D artist :smiley:

How much time did it take you to reach this quality ? I suppose you had some deadlines to respect.

I also plan my workflow around Zbrush, and for Zbrush. Fanboy spotted :smiley: I’m just cannot thinking doing it without zbrush.

To create your ingame mesh, do you use a specific plugin (working on Max/Maya) or Zbrush? Personally, i use NEX plugin for Maya, very efficient.

What do you think about Mudbox, or the other softwares.As far as i know, Zbrush seems to be the reference, but what about Ubisoft?

Thanks for posting, it’s really nice to have the possibility to talk with professionnals, very helpful !

pixelangelo - for the deadlines, some characters were rushed compared to others. but if I had to make an average of everything, I would say around 2 to 3 weeks for a PEC (customizable) character. You would have 3 versions of the same character (basic,light,heavy) to do in ztool, lowres, texture, and integration to the engin. Thank you for the comment!!!

Sycron - Like I said to pixelangelo, I would average the time for a character to 2 to 3 weeks. But, it depended alot on the rush.

For the mesh, on Conviction we all used 3Ds Max but, I know that some modelers on other project that uses other software. I started using Go-Max on my new project, it works awsome!!!

I haven’t tried mudbox, maybe one day will but, zbrush does the work great for me, then again, other modelers will tell you mudbox is better for XYZ reason but, its a personnal choise. I think Ubi is pretty much open to let the artist use what he wants, as long he does the job.

Hope this helps, sorry if theres no main character, not every artist like to show there work. I’ll be posting some concept art from Bruno Gauthier pretty soon.

Thank you for all the good comments.

Chris.

awesome

Many thanks for your reply Betaone, it helps me more than you can imagine :smiley:

But i have a last small question, how many 3D artists (sculpting on Zbrush) are working on the same project? Considering this is a AAA game, you might be several artists. Is there specialities ? (Objects/Characters/Environments)?

Thank you for all the good comments
Thank you too :wink:

David.