ZBrushCentral

Ryan Harrison: 2010 Sketchbook (Possible nudity but I'm not promising anything!!)

Webhead, Joe55: Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated! :smiley:

Well, I saw something I liked in the red head above so I started to rework it…
I’ve been meaning to create Roland of Gilead since I started doing 3D and it seems as this is my start.
I think at this point I.m gonna go back and retopo before I continue sculpting.
I started to create his guns many years ago (HERE: http://rynomyte.cgsociety.org/gallery/303754/ ) and hopefully the whole project is close to completion now that I’ve actually started Roland himself… :smiley:

RolandHeadWIP.jpg

RolandHead01Thumb.jpg

Attachments

RolandHead01.jpg

seems his ears are huge (and too high up) and his eye-socket size could be
taken in a bit (to give a closer ratio to 5 eyes wide, ear-to-ear) or widen the
bone structure a bit between ear attach to edge of outer eyelid.

looks like you’re getting a bit of Lee Marvin toughness there, but as of yet he
seems a bit too skinny/weasel-ly looking for the hero he is (although he never
thought of himself as ‘pretty’).

will be interested to see where you go with him next. :slight_smile:

(Hope you don’t mind the paintover)
[attach=198491]paintover.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

paintover.jpg

I really like the Rhino :+1:small_orange_diamond:)

RolandHead02Thumb.jpg

Attachments

RolandHead02.jpg

if we’re going by classical proportions, his ears are still way too high.

don’t really know what you’re going for though, could always throw the trusty old ‘stylized’ label out there and not have to worry about it :stuck_out_tongue:

testure: lol! I don’t wanna rely too heavily on calling him stylized but yeah, he’s definitely not going to be photoreal… I agree about the ears somewhat and I will experiment next session. However, for some reason, I kind of always envisioned Roland with a long face and larger than average ears (I think possibly because of my cowboy uncle who happens to have larger ears). :smiley:
Thx for the comments!

Hey Ryan. I like this. There is a lot of character in the face so far. I think the brow and eyes are capturing what we can imagine Roland is like, but I don’t know about the mouth. I know its just wip, but something about those teeth and the slightly open mouth is throwing off what could/should be a more taciturn, ‘serious’ expression that you could work into there. Can’t wait to see where you go with it.
-dante

Hey Dante, thankee Sai. I totally agree about the mouth. I should have mentioned to disregard the teeth and open mouth for now. I started sculpting this from a speed sculpt I did last week that already had teeth sculped in. It does look a little silly right now though and I will fix it for the next update. :smiley:
It’s awesome seeing other DT stuff being done in 3D… I really am surprised to not have seen more. Good luck in creating your visions of Midworld! I will be watching! :slight_smile:

RolandHeadNewThumb.jpg

Attachments

RolandHeadNew.jpg

BodyThumb.jpg

Hey All! So I started on Roland’s body. The head is still not attached to the body and the whole thing needs a retopo as is very WIP still but just wanted to show the direction I am heading. I am staying true to the books (or at least my interpretation) and presenting an older, weary Roland circa DT I or II.

<object width=“400” height=“300”><param name=“allowfullscreen” value=“true” /><param name=“allowscriptaccess” value=“always” /><param name=“movie” value=“http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12652050&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1” /><embed src=“http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12652050&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always” width=“400” height=“300”></embed></object><p><a href=“http://vimeo.com/12652050”>The Gunslinger, Roland WIP</a> from <a href=“http://vimeo.com/user3261764”>Ryan Harrison</a> on <a href=“http://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>.</p>

Ok so, I did a little more work on the body. Think this is about as far as I’ll take him in this direction…time for clothes!
He is also badly in need of a retopo and I still have to join the head to the body so I guess that should actually be my next step.
Thanks for looking and comments always make me happy…good or bad.:smiley:

ZBC1.jpg
[attach=199488]BodySculpt.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

BodySculpt.jpg

The body is looking really good, i’m looking forward to seeing him finished!

Capital_G: Thank you! Hopefully I’ll have some more updates soon but for now, time to go enjoy the weekend. Cheers! :smiley:

HeadThumb.jpg

Attachments

Head.jpg

Ok, just for fun! Roland meets The Outlaw Josey Wales. :smiley:
Thinking of doing Roland’s hair similar to this…

RolandClint.jpg

I like the changes you’ve made, Ryan. And I like the mock-up. :slight_smile:
(looks like you’ve gone more Clint and less Lee Marvin)

Once again, I’ve done another paintover on some of the changes you
might consider…I think your ‘new’ nose is a missed opportunity to add
a bit more character (seems like it got chopped down and a little generic
from the camera angles above).

Also, the body shots reminded me of TF2 stylized character (think
it’s the Spy?) but perhaps it’s the ‘draw’ stance…

Anyhow, looking forward to the next steps! :slight_smile:

Attachments

paintover.jpg

WailingMonkey: Thanks! Your comments are always helpful and appreciated. :smiley: I took your suggestions to heart and also added in some more wrinkles…maybe the ear is still a bit funky but I’ll get around to it.
Overall I think I am very happy with how the face is coming along. Next up some hair to try an get a true feel for Roland.
Thanks for looking!

RolandHeadDetail.jpg

wow,
i really like that you didn’t use that Marvel Design of Roland of Gilead for your Idea,
It looks really cool,
i thought about making Susannah (Odetta) Walker a few month ago,
maybe i’ll give it a try.

btw:
the gun looks amazing :smiley:

Long days and pleasant nights.