ZBrushCentral

Rendering successful displacement in Maya 2008

mhhhh… that´s strange.

Are you sure you have installed SP1 correctly? Does Maya show “Maya 2008 Service Pack 1” in the splash screen when starting Maya? At first I had installed SP1 without de-installing Maya 2008 and thought it just had updated to SP1 but that wasn´t the case - you have to de-install Maya before installing the SP1 package. Did you do that?

Marco

yes ! i have to de-install Maya before installing the SP1 package.is flash screen[attach=86866]qq.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

qq.jpg

teste.jpg perfect seamless head. i also used this script in conjunction with “zbrush to maya video tutorial”.
regards

looks like you got some bloating, if you fix it let me know id like to know how,.

Can someone who has installed service pack 1 (or has extension 2) tell me what the mental ray screen says in the output window when you load maya? The date of the mental ray version?

Is the fix inside the SP1 for maya or in the mental ray pack?

I dont have access to a machine with either at the moment–but I tried a 32 bit displacement on a machine with extension 2 and still got that wonderful seam problem. I had to use the Scott script to fix it, though the rendering time was much faster(and it seemed to support tifs better?).

… i just used a displacement map and nothing else. also, as the head comes from the file a little bit big, i used a high alpha gain, maybe 12 in this case,and i didn’ tweak it. i just did this “exercise” just for, lets say, peace of mind.
that’s why i got some bloating.
was i clear?
regards

i’m going border line insane with this stuff as most of us probably have. I’m getting normal displacement along the equator of my spherical shape, but along the bottom and top things get really strange.

[onion_top.jpg]

I’ve tried just about every combination of settings in zbrush exporting and maya importing and maya displacement setup.

Process. Polygon sphere in maya with sawtooth UVs. extruded top of model a bit. Exported obj with groups, point groups, matierals etc on export options as ON also tried OFF(same results). Had to slightly shrink UV shell in editor otherwise MD3 recognized it as 2 tiles(still didnt change final result)

Imported to zbrush with correct flip import/export options, subdivided 6 more times. 2.3 million polys final count. detailed level by level. exported base mesh as OBJ with Export options MRG on, GRP off, than MRG off and GRP on, than both off(same results all round). Displacement settings, mapsize 2048, mapsize adjust 0 everything else default. exported displacement map with the LBEK-EAEAEA code. converted to .map

Imported .obj back into maya applied lambert, added displacement map. set color balance AG to 2.2 and offset to -1.1 just to test. Approximation Subdivision node setup for obj, set to spatial, min subd 3 and max subd 5. Length set to 0 than to .010 than to .050(same results). Disabled displacement on geometry.

I think that covers just about everything. I am going coocoo coocoo. Should i set my original sphere .obj to have pinch polar UVs instead of sawtooth? is there anything i can do?? even a remote hint is greatly appreciated

can you post your Uvs?

mental Ray (previous to maya 2008) hates tris. the top of a polygon sphere is all triangles. I suspect if you sculpted the stalk from the side of the sphere you wouldn’t have this problem.

Thats my inital reaction to the image. May be something else happening here.

S

ahhh lord spencer… that makes total sense!! i was extruding the tris at the top and base of the mesh. i will remodel and report back. quick question… after i export from maya and import to zbrush. can i just apply the displacement to the original OBJ? or is it best to export the obj after its been touched in zbrush? also… will normal maps increase the accuracy when trying to get models to look like their zbrush counterparts?

will mental ray have issues displacing the sides of the sphere which is where the tris will be if i model on the side? should i smooth in maya before exprting?

psi0nic_gh0st: here’s the uvs for your interest.
[uv.jpg] (texture from an older revision)

Scott and the Gang,

I was wondering if any of you have run in to this problem with batch rendering zbrush generated displacement maps with mental ray in maya 2008? When I render a single frame the displacement map looks good. When I batch render no displacement details appear. Everything works well until I batch render.

I am using .map files

I have a shader network that connects displacement maps with blendshapes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Well it turns out I have a fix. I was using David Johnson’s (djx) dj_mix_colors shader to blend/mix the displacement maps driven by blend shapes. As I said before, render current frame worked great. Batch render not so good.

I decided to just use the mib_color_mix instead of the dj_mix_colors and it worked!

hey spencer, i did what you suggested about the stem on the side of the zsphere. I’m getting this strange star shaping on the sides of the sphere now though in zbrush in the higher subdivisions. its virtually impossible to smooth down. do not i sudbiveded once in Maya before exporting for fear of mental ray hating the tris when i rendered displacement

[star.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘87753’,‘star.jpg’,1,0))

any suggestions?

Having all quads helps, but at the center of the star, do you have alot of vertices meeting at 1 point? Like more than 4? Having 5+ edges come from verticies can cause stuff like to happen and maybe that could be causing the star you see in the render

yeah. its a maya polysphere which has lots of points coming together at its ends. was trying to figure a way around it

Well if you start w/ a cube u can keep subdividing it so it won’t have those edge poles at the end

psi0nic_ghost: the sphere UV mapping seems to work best. i can deal with the star stuff if it bother me down the road. Working with the top here where most of the geometry is. Check out the image. Im trying every combination in the Alpha Gain and Offset to match it but this is the closest i can get.

[top.jpg]mayavs.jpg

I’ve seen in a tutorial a guy using Auto+A.D.F. in the MD3 export options instead of A.D.Factor. I cant really get close at all to the level of detail i get in zbrush.(3.4 million polys) approximation editor at Spatial with 3 min and 5 max divisions. Length at 0 and/or .010. Alpha gain at .3, alpha offset at -.15 also tried higher numbers like 3 and -1.5. my map is at 2048, should i increase its size?

Are normal maps used to add that extra fine level of detail that is at the higher subd levels?

note: exported level 1 subd model from zbrush, imported into maya.

DISPLACEMENTS = FRUSTRATING!

Holy **** thx! I’ve been bashing my head against displacement+sss for ages now and this fixed it. Thx alot for this :P!

mental Ray (previous to maya 2008) hates tris??
when i render tris in maya 2008 sp1,the hole is filled,but the seams is appear.
other,i render with ‘ccmesh mel’,the seams is fix.but the hole is appear,
MR ‘Approximation’ have a option convert tris to quad ,but is failed .
must to do smooth convert quad.

MY GOD MAN!!!
if its not broke dont fix it , since autodesk have taken over there seems to be
always something freeky with each version ,
i hate instailing new releases , i allways spend the next month pulling my hair out wondering y stuff is changed
who knows maybe auto desk wants to play with peoples heads “sicko’s”

thankyou scott for that mel script , it worked “once” i thought all my problems were over , but now when i run the script it givs me an error ,

there are post saying change the Aprox name to something els ???/

it seems to work once with one mesh but when there are two disp’ mesh’s it dosnt work, i get the error??,

sometimes it wont come up with and error but still wont work ??

i dont know what the prob is , hopfuly some one has figured it out because i like the idear of a one click solution

oh yeah , there is another problem i have noticed , its a bit strange , sometimes when i bring back a mesh into maya “2008” the uv’s seem to be brocken up into sets of four polys , the uvs are all layed out the same but when you grab a uv and go to shell it only grabs another few uvs , strange
i dont know if its something that happend in maya or zbrush but i am thinking that it maybe maya “2008” seeing how it has never happend in 8.5
" just another thing for me to loose a bit more hair over in the next few weeks"