ZBrushCentral

Rendering successful displacement in Maya 2008

well then, i hope i’am not the only person still having a problem with this stuff,
that would just make me feel just wonderful!!!

ive gone back to just using the "addAttr -ln “miExportCCMesh” -at bool whateva i name them to; and it worked “yippy”

untill i saved and re-opened it the next day, with a smile on my face in anticipation of my render i see my mesh all jaggered up like someone attacked it with a knife ,

i tryed to run the scipts again and it gives me that fricken " cant add atr error"

good god why o why , why me , why must my computer play these games with my head, dosnt she know i need sleep!!!

iam just about to put maya 2008 extension 2 on my com , can someone let me know if these problems are fixed or will i stay a very unhappy boy untill
maya 2009 comes out and a new game begins,

hey ,

just re-instailed maya again and there dosnt seem to be an issue now ,

i guess it got board playing games with my head, iam just glad i came out of it with some hair left …

Can someone w/ a maya subcriber account write to maya tech support (which is bs u need an account to write to IMO) and tell them to stop releasing new versions with new features before the break the ones from the previous versions. :angry:small_orange_diamond:angry:small_orange_diamond:angry: And I want my smooth mesh preview to render smooth dang it!

A_HUGHES,
You need to select everything in a scene with a displacement at the same time and then run the script. You can only do it once in a scene. My students run into this all the time.

Your other problem with uvs from zbrush may be from importing the obj into Maya without deselecting “create multiple objects” in the import options.

I hope this helps.
:+1:

You should just be able to run the script with nothign selected. It will run the conversion on any displacement node in the scene. I need to add in a catch so it tell syou if you ran the script already because as of now it will throw up a warning if there are no CCMesh nodes in the scene file.

Scott

Question… is animating zbrush displacement maps in lets say Maya extremely difficult? I was interested in using some zbrush objects in Rigid Body simulations… will the displacements interact or will just the low res poly models interact?

Hmmm good question. I would expect dynamics to work with displacement maps as log as it is not cached based on the lowres pre-render. I will try this today and report back.

thanks elliott! if things dont workout as i hope, may hav eto head back to some maya modeling tutorials

A_HUGHES,
I did a test with a passive ground plane that had a displacement map generated by Zbrush. An active sphere seemed not to be effected by the displacement mapped ground plane with default settings.
See video clip here.
I am by no means an expert on dynamics but I still have hope this can work. A possible workaround would be generating a cage at div 1 or 2 in Zbrush to get your base mesh to more closely resemble the displacement map.

I’m not done with this problem. I’ll keep ya posted.

My previous displacement / dynamics post was for justlearning not A_HUGHES. Sorry

the displancement seams solution:use the scott scottspencer 's mel,thanks !
addAttr -ln “miExportCCMesh” -at bool $selected[$a];(i think this mel is the function that to connect a hide node “CCmesh” to model for render,the " not need do anything in maya2008" is mistake.)
and the the hole solution :
not need add smooth to convert quads faces model. this operation results double faces.please change the mentalraySubdivApprox1 attributes.
aaa.jpg

please take some test , every friend!

yeah i’ve been following the posts elliot mitchell. i really appreciate your taking the time to put that .mov together to demonstrate the lack of rigid body interaction with the displacement maps. As i am deeply concerned with this outcome and the general lack of information there is on the subject, i have moved back over to MAYA to do the bulk, if not all of my modeling in.

Never got incredibly detailed in the polygon and/or subd modeling, always found it daunting with like multi patches and stuff, which is why zbrush seemed like the perfect for it.

I guess i’ll do some research into low to high poly proxy rigid simulations

hi masters,
i m having problem in applying the zbrush to maya pipeline.i have tried the zmapper,nut not really getting the desired result,so can anyone guide me through this process{from generating maps from zbrush to apply them in maya}.And i will be having the uv layout in this different process ?so that i can paint the colour maps in the photoshop onto it.i will be very thankfull.

waiting for ur reply.

Thanks, this script helped a lot.
I think there may be a small problem with the script (maybe just me though)
A ran the script and the problem appears fixed when doing a single render.
However, when I do a batch render, the mesh gets all bloated as it did before. Manually turning on the ‘Alpha is Luminance’ box for the displacement map seems to work, though.

That little script help me a lot!!!
I should tatto this in my hand:
addAttr -ln “miExportCCMesh” -at bool mentalraySubdivApprox1;

:smiley:

By the way I was having a little diferent problem, the mesh displacement was ok, but when I put some texture in it I lose a lot of information in some parts of the model, I realized that it was a problem with the suddiv approximation because if I set the number of subdivitions to 2 or let it to 1, the texture render better, but I lose detail, and if I use Spatial instead of Parametrical, I didn’t get the detail what I wanted… then, I found this little piece of script, and with some scepticism, I tried it, and it works!!! Now my model looks nice, thanks!

Bellow are both renders, for you can see the differences.

[attach=92993]girldispparametric.jpg[/attach]
[attach=92994]girlOK.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

girldispparametric.jpg

girlOK.jpg

I’ve also noticed that sometimes 2008 will screw up the color map when rendering, in order to fix that you need to turn the default filter off in the image’s node. Yet another broken 2008 feature. Maybe someone should start a 2008 workaround thread
:wink:

You guys say you can render 32bit displacement textures with Mental Ray…, Wich extension do you use?, I can’t render any 32bit displcament map in TIF format in Mental Ray, MAYA refuses to render and stops the rendering process.

Any ideas?.

Thank’s.

There is a maya plugin “TiffFloatReader” but I think that’s just for the thumbnail images. You could try loading that, maybe it’ll do the trick, other than that I don’t know, Tiff’s have always worked fine for me…

joie,

I have three suggestions:

1. convert the Tiff to a .map format. Here is a link to (Edited) Francesca Luce’s convert tiff to .map application off of Scott Spencer’s post. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showpost.php?p=236569&postcount=77

2. If you insist on using Tiff format then be sure there is no LZW compression on the Tiff.

3. Mental Ray has issues with some custom shaders / utilities and scripts. Check if your using any.

Best of luck:+1:

You are the main man, THANX!