ZBrushCentral

QuickSave Update Plugin Button Set for ZB3 (replaces QuickSave)

This is a real time-saver! Thanks :slight_smile:

Is this safe for 3.5R3?

I am using the save model function for R3 and look safe for now.

Hi! Just installed Quicksave and Iā€™ve experienced some problems saving over network.

Iā€™m running Zbrush 3.2 on a Mac and I get this message ā€œWARNING: File not savedā€ when trying to save my model over the network (using (Apple) AFP-network protocol)? The file IS still saved at the destination, but the script doesnā€™t seem to understand thatā€¦ Trying to save incrementals after this will save the model to last ā€œworkingā€ destination and not to the chosen network path.

I can connect to the server using some other protocol called CIFS (SMB) and then the script works, but itā€™s very slow. AFP-access is much faster, itā€™s more like saving to the internal drive.

Running the script and saving to the internal harddrive works perfect, but I have my projects stored on a network server. Hope you can help. Thanks!

// tennet

Iā€™m a bit in the dark as to how this might be resolvedā€¦ 1) I developed QuickSave on the PC - Iā€™m not Mac savvy at all. 2) Also, I havenā€™t actually tested the PC version on a network - Iā€™m not really sure ZScript is meant to deal with network file operations and would have to defer to other ZScripters who might have some informed input here about that.

The error message is generated by a routine that follows each save operation using a simple ā€œfileexistsā€ test - displaying the warning you are seeing if it cannot confirm that the file was actually written on the path used for the save.

Sorry I couldnā€™t be more help. :confused:

Sven

Svengali,

I took a class from Scott Spencer last fall and he taught us many amazing things. Showing us your tool was one that was simple but truely invaluable. Thank you!

Cheers

Toymaker_71:

A big thanks back at you for YOUR gracious note. It sounds like that class of Scottā€™s is one Iā€™d like to sit in on if he ever takes it on the road.

Sven

hi sVen yourā€™s work on this plugin is very amazing

i have maybie suggestions but iā€™am not sure is possible to do it
is about rendering by compositing you know like
spĆ©cular bump color shadow etcā€¦
and one render .zbc on mass can be usefull
but i hope is implemented in zb4 so just wait and see:)

thankā€™s again !

any chance a option could be added to have the image files automatically generated with the name of the selected subtool?(including iteration as usual)

Just using it for images works fine in 4.0. Tell lemo his bcast works as well.
Thanks to both of you.

I LOVE the quick save Model and incremental save [+] for saving ztools. Is there any chance we could get a Project save button and incremental [+] Project save for the new file types?

I second that. perhaps also a timed, auto, incremental project save:)

Could someone explain to me what the big advantage is saving the Project over Saving the Model (Tool)?

The Project feature allows you to save nearly every aspect of what youā€™re working on, with a single click.

The Project file contains the most important elements loaded in ZBrush:

• Document size and colors
  • Loaded Tools and their SubTools
  • Current Tool position
  • Camera position
  • All maps assigned to a Tool or SubTool
  • Floor Visibility
  • Perspective value

The Project file doesnā€™t contain:

• Textures residing in the Alpha or Texture palettes
  • Position of the elements in the User Interface like opened menus
  • Brush settings if they have been changed, or brush inventory

When saving the Tools and their subtools, they ALREADY INCLUDE ALL maps assigned to a Tool or SubTool(s).

It seems to me saving a project really only saves additional trivial information that normally doesnā€™t change or information that is momentary or transient.

So, I really donā€™t see what value there would be in saving iterations of the Project file over iterations of the Model (Tool) file?

Sven

EDIT: check that, I think I seeā€¦ Saving a project saves ALL existing tools in one shot, right?

Then, it would seem to me a practical way to design such a Project QuickSave option would be if it saved only a limited number of versions, for example five, where as once the fifth incremental version had been saved, the next save would overwrite the first. Then the next would overwrite the second and so on. Open to opinions and suggestions here. :slight_smile:

just one suggestions about BPR render save all pass (shadow occ ā€¦) in one click

about saving project i love can save light tool material at same time
and keep my render setting itā€™s save lot of time
the desadvantage of ZPR is take lot of memory if you forget clean your project before save and i donā€™t know how do it i just read thatā€™s somewhere

New button for QuickSave4 = Project and P+

Right now Iā€™ve setup the incrementing Project buttonā€™s save option so that it only saves the FIVE most recent versions of a Project: for example (after the first version is saved with the Project button) each press of the P+ button will generate, MyProject002.zpr on through MyProject005.zpr.

Then, after pressing P+ once more, MyProject001.zpr is OVERWRITTEN with the latest Project data. Next time P+ is pressed, MyProject002.zpr is OVERWRITTEN, and so on.

So, you see there will only be five backups in a given Project series. Iā€™d appreciate any feedback on this before finalizing and posting the ZB4 version of QuickSave, especially for those who create complex Projects in a production environment.

• Does this make sense?

• Is five recent backups enough?

• What is the average size of a production-scale Project file? (one heavy with subtools, materials and textures.)

• Iā€™m thinking of a similar option (9 most recent versions) for the Model M+ buttons. Any votes for that?

Feedback appreciated, thanks. When the new QuickSave4 is finalized Iā€™ll post this week or next.

Sven

I would prefer more as i like to keep a history of my work. What i do with your previous version is save incremental until I get many dozens then i go back and delete all but #1, #10, #20, #30, #40 etc.

Five would not be enough. Is it necessary to have it start over? could you have a toggle or user set value?

I also prefer to be able to save an ā€œunlimitedā€ number of model versions and then delete most of them when the project is finished.

Just popping in because Iā€™m updating the second edition of my book and I wanted to see what Sven had updated on the script. I wanted to say this script is the single greatest ZBrush utility in my opinion. How anyone works without it!

Svengali rocks :slight_smile:

Scott

Any news about this? Seems like such a great script!

Here is an unofficial updated version - named QuickSave4 - in which Iā€™ve made several modifications AND added Project save buttons.

Before officially posting this new version I would ask a few people who already use QuickSave to test its functionality and reliability on NON-CRITICAL projects and models to verify that it is properly working.

REPEAT: This is an unofficial version for TESTING PURPOSES ONLY.

When Iā€™m sure itā€™s been tested and working I will post an announcement with the final version of QuickSave4 in the ZBrush ZScript Utilities Forum. (target date: December 26th) at which time I will edit this post and remove this unofficial test version posted here.

What has changed?

1. Some routines have been simplified (internal code).
  2. The M+ Subtools polygon readout problem reported by rv_el and CastorPT in another thread should now be resolved (Thanks to marcus_civis for pointing out an obscure ZScript quirk - and itā€™s work-around)
  3. Added buttons for Project and P+ which work similar to all the other QuickSave button pairs.

NOTE: I had considered a mode for saving a limited number of versions (where updates would begin saving over older versions after a maximum of ten had been saved) but based on feedback from users Iā€™ve left things the way they were. This means that YOU must police the accumulation of incremental versions and delete the excess copies yourself - manually thinning the herd so to speak.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who tests QuickSave4, then posts feedback here.

Svengali

<edit: Please load the updated test version of QuickSave4 belowā€¦>