ZBrushCentral

Pixologic Release - ZPipeline Guides

Hi Scott.
Now it worked. I don’t know what happened, but I followed the same steps before. Mystery.
Thank you for your attention.

On page 6 of the XSI guide Greg talks about a problem:“When moving a model to XSI and back, vertices are occasionally put in a different order.
The problem won’t show itself until you raise the subdivision level on your ZBrush tool.
If the polygons were reordered, you will know immediately as you will have a giant mess
on your screen. If this happens, and you must still fix your UVs outside of ZBrush, try
exporting a dotXSI file from Softimage and using a program like Deep Exploration® to
convert your dotXSI to OBJ.”
This is happening to me when I export my model from Zbrush, load it in XSI and export it back to Zbrush.

Does anyone know another way to solve this problem without deep exploration? The problem is fixed in XSI 5.0 (stated at bottom of page 6) but I have XSI 4.2.

Thanks for any advice

try exporting out as fbx

then I think you should be able to use fbx to export out an OBJ. Check out here.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Ryan

very nice guide, clear and complete

But I have a problem for the .map file creation page 21.

How do you open a dos window in a Window folder and where is located the .map ?

hey junk,

just use the batch file in my signature. Drag and drop the file on that and it will do the conversion and save the .map file in the same directory.

S

The bat file worked for me, however I had to copy the file imf_copy and the convertfile.bat for the directory “map” that I was created and to edit the file bat, placing the path of the directory “map”, because the bat doesn’t recognize the spaces of the directory “Program Files”. In any way, for me it only worked when I placed the complete path of the imf_copy.

Ps.: The TIF file (displace) should be inside of the directory map - the MAP file also are saved in that directory. I feel a lot for my terrible english.

the bat file was like this:

:convertfile
@IF %1 == “” GOTO end
C:\map\imf_copy -p %1 “%~d1%~p1%~n1.map”
@SHIFT
@GOTO convertfile
:end
@ECHO.
@ECHO Done!
@pause

Thats odd since the % variables should read the path to the file you ddragged onto the icon…
It works for me here and honestly it has been 2 years since I messed with Win2K bat files. I seem to recall having to put paths in quotes in a bat file to compensate for the spaces but again, the bat file seems to work fine on this end…

One thought is that the bin folder under your maya install directory is not in your system path environment variables. Check that maybe…

S

Thanks for the suggestion Ryan :slight_smile:

Unfortunately converting to fbx and back didn’t work. I was able to download a 30 day trial of deep exploration though which did work (didn’t realize there was a fully functional trial version).

Ben

Scott, you are right. Maya bin was not in the system path.
Now the bat works without the need of giving the complete path of the imf_copy.

Thank you again. :+1:

Hmmm:confused:

Those days getting any shorter there Ryan? Don’t hurry, but hurry…:lol: :confused:

I am just wondering, if it is possible for someone to make Zpipeline guide for Renderman and maya by using MTOR. it will be great help for all who wish to use PRman.

Firstofall…thanks for taking time and write those tutorials…
i´m a xsi user—i follow every step correctly(i think) add the displacement exporter, take the alfa factor, flip it, convert to a 16bit tiff… but the mesh brokes and i dont know the reason…can anybody help me please?
the map is correctly fit, the obj is in level 1, …
:frowning:

Is there a grudge against MAX users, or MAX itself?:wink: Just curious. Even though .3ds is one of the most universal formats and one of the most stable (has stood the test of time) it is still not available for Z.:cry: Maybe I’m wrong about that, but am I really?

Not that converting to and from .obj is difficult or anything, but time adds up and if you use MAX and Z together as much as I do you notice a conciderable amount of time especially since MAX takes a long time to convert 1million + poly models from .obj.:angry: Although it has gotten faster in MAX 8.:+1:

blinxpro and smokebox46and2 and other Max users-

The Max ZPipeline is still in development. Please understand that these guides are done by people in their free time and are a wealth of information that often takes years to accumulate. There is nothing personal in the release dates and there are no conceivable grudges against any apps users. Each guide takes one person a long time to finish and it is offered for free as way to assist the community.

On the other hand, you are always welcome to post you own tutorials. These guides are really just amplified tutorials. Thank you Martin Anderson for the tutorial that you posted on Page two of this thread.

Kind Regards,

Ryan

There’s no grudge or prejudice against Max, but there is a definite problem with triangles. Obj is an old Alias format that is widely accepted because of it’s quadrangle mesh capability. .3ds is a triangle poly mesh format. Zbrush loves any shape of polygon as long as it has exactly 4 sides. :smiley:

Blinx, I would suggest you to avoid importing the full 1Meg+ polygons obj in max… you won’t be able to handle it anyway… i’d rather go for a 100-200 thousand polys and then add detail with displacement maps/ bump maps.
There’s several good tuts on this topic.
Federaik

more specific question…
is there any problem with guvtiles or auvtiles for displacement in xsi 5?
because i did all guide´s steps, and the final mesh is irregular, inprecise and seamed.

can anyone answer me? im spending hours and hours bur nothing:confused:

Are you sure you flipped your alpha in the ‘V’ direction before you left ZBrush?

yes sure, i´ve checked it texture decal and the displ map seemes to be perfectly adjusted…all muscles were supossed to be.
You use the guv or auv and works fine? or you unwrap in xsi?