ZBrushCentral

New Materials - MatCap.....**Updated - they're back

This is a very old topic. While the link that Slosh shares below no longer works, there are two other excellent resources for getting more MatCaps: ZBC MatCap Repository and the Pixologic Download Center.

Well, I checked with DarkTree and they have given me permission to use the materials I created from their shaders. They said it happens, and that many shader creators use ZBrush to make their shader, so this is kind of a flip-flop of sorts.

There are 40 shaders in all, pictured below. Note that those with actual texture in them (leopard spots, for example) don’t necessarily look great on all models. But mostly, these are just fun. Enjoy!!!

All-Mats.jpg

SloshMats: hosted on RapidShare
This is my first time using RapidShare, so let me know if there are any problems. The file is 7.8 MB, so modem users might get a slow download.

Brian

2 Likes

these look fun, thank you!

gr8 set :+1:
why dont u simply upload all to www.rapidshare.com

Thanks Slosh, much appriecate your kindness!Some really fine mats in their!!slurp!:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks Slosh! They will come in handy.

Thanks for sharing mate! (cant belive you did it with Matcap only…)
And i agree with deep, you should use rapidshare.com or similar instead (100MB limit per file) and post a link.

Hey, thanks alot these are really good. How do you get it to show all the different colors instead of one flat color?

Wow - a great gift.:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:
Many thanks for sharing these - look forward to trying them.

Those look like the procedurals from Darksim.com/Simbiont. Did you check out the usage rights regarding the procedurals? I’d be careful posting materials I did not create myself from scratch. Just a suggestion…
Lemo

If you can’t use a texture you created yourself, I don’t see the point to get there tool :rolleyes: Juste one thing: I think there’s too much texture infromations in your matcap, giving a chrome looking…

I think the aim of a matcap is mainly to give shading informations, more than texture.
If you want to add textures infos, maybe you should mix a double shader, with a noise texture, or directly load a texture as bitmap.

Thx to share!

Many thanks for your work and help on our behalf.

Appreciate it:+1:

Thanks for sharing , btw a new page has been added on the wiki on how to use matcap, tutorial by meats i think.

Link

Thanks for you Friend :+1: :+1: :+1:

You can use any shader/material/ texture maps yourself which you procured.

It’s just that most authors of shaders/materials/texture maps prohibit you to distribute the shader/materials/texture maps to others. That’s their business. Your’s is to create cool stuff USING the shader/materials/ or texture maps.

In any case, I just suggested that the terms and conditions should be paid attention to. Property rights are a very sensitive issue here.

Cheers
Lemo

Thanks for the new materials. Great work!

Cooool - a bigbig THX :+1: :+1: :+1:

Indeed thx slosh these look great … will have fun playing with them :slight_smile:

Hi all…see top of thread for explanation of why I deleted everything.

Lemo - thanks for possibly saving my butt. I wonder, though…If I had simply applied the shaders in lightwave to an object and rendered it, then brought it into ZB3 and created the matcap the usual way, perhaps that would not have been out of line? I think that the mats I showed with procedural information might be suspect, but some of the others can easily be recreated. Hmm. Something to think about.

Sebsecoir - I agree, we should be able to create materials from these, but rules are rules. And as for the texture being “too much”, that may be true but sometimes the effect is still pretty cool. I tried all of these on a head and the rhino as well as the sphere, and most looked pretty great. I guess it’s just a matter of whether you are concerned about that or not.

For everyone else, just because I can’t distribute, doesn’t mean I can’t use them myself. So you all can create them as well, if you want. Just render a sphere in your other 3d app with the material applied. Take it into ZB3 and create a matcap the regular way (as described in Wiki), or simply load the render from the other app as a texture and replace the small texture icon in one of the existing matcap materials.

Hopefully, this will make up for it a little bit. I created these two materials…Antique Ivory and BeesWax. I did it the right way, with imported photos.

WaxIvory.jpg

Hi Slosh,

Just to voice my appreciation for your efforts to share in the community. :+1:

TD