ZBrushCentral

new alien for the siggraph

Totally agree… however, im a fan of Maddam’s work and love the skin folds and render of this

Awesome!!! :+1:

this is wicked! 5 stars

:smiley: Wow Incredible Work! :+1: :+1: :+1:

@ bokaja

True, usually,
however if this was part of a laboratory experiment or a glitch in the evolution process that somehow evolved the brain before the rest of the body there could be room for this theory.
However under normal conditions I agree it wouldn’t be likely to happen.

There are also other anatomic irregularities that doesn’t make sense, and the skin is of no simillarity of other creatures known.

However, this is a perfect remake of the stop-motion creatures that were made in the early days. I’d give this one a score of 9.5 out of 10.

Awesome job.

Man, this is a ball-tearing render! Great work, you truly are a master. I can’t help but be impressed by Bokaja’s evolutionary thoughts, after all, the massive human brain was only made possible by his digital dexterity. Then again a large cranium doesn’t necessarily mean intelligence. This is an alien life form…that cranial bulge could be his stomach! Certainly their reproductive apparatus are differently located to ours (or extremely small…or internal…).

Makes no difference to the quality of this work though, it really is amazing. Like many others I’d love to have more information on your working process, I can’t imagine how many decades will pass before I can produce work like this…

Definitely top row.

Thank you all for your coments :slight_smile:

bokaja:i agree 100% with you when you said that “usually when people design
creatures they tend to go for what looks cool rather than what
works practically and logically” . I did this character in quite a short time because i had to finish it before the siggraph so i didn’t really care about logical for it :wink:

Sebcesoirc je bosse avec ubi montpellier, pas paris :wink:

here is a very quick making of (and a quick resume of the presentation i did at the siggraph)

First i start with very simple shape. i sculpt it until i got something good enough

then i do the retopology. to help, i usualy draw the topology on the model

for the body, i do the same except that i use z sphere as starting point

then i’m using transpose to put it in a more natural pose

and then i’m doing the polypainting on it

The render part is done as i usually do in max and Vray
i used 2 area light and a very simple scene.

i finished with some photoshop post work.

Here you can see a 360° animation (you can get a bigger one on my website but i don’t put the link here because i think the server won’t allowed too many connexion)
http://canderled.cgsociety.org/gallery/528203/

best :slight_smile:Making04.jpgMaking02.jpgMaking06.jpgMaking08.jpgMaking05.jpgMaking.jpgMaking09.jpg

Attachments

Making.jpg

I like that a lot. Really nice character. Thanks for the tute.

How do Zbrush 3, reconnect or merge separate meshes into one?

Amazing workflow mate. I was secretly wondering if you’d tell us more about how you did this wonderful piece.

Bravo

in the polypainting mode are you using Zapplink? Just curious.

I donno, whales have big brains, but they don’t have limbs at all; evolution can go in all sorts of odd directions. Plus, whats wrong with making a cool, silly, alien design for fun?
Fantastic stuff as always maddam!

Simply amazing. That’s a beautifully ugly alien. :slight_smile: I certainly wouldn’t want to encounter one of those. Very nice work!

You never cease to amaze me Damien. Good work yet again!

GREAT WORK!!!
DerLandvogt

Fantastic work as usual :smiley: I’m just curious, how did you connect the head mesh with the body? Was it done i ZB or did you do it in Max?

Your work is a true inspiration for me, and I’ve learned a lot just by looking at your art. This proves the value of your art, when someone can gain knowledge by looking at it :sunglasses:

Oh, I forgot …
:grimacing:
There =p

Greetings
Henning

great piece as always!
and thanks for sharing the making of images!

Great piece! Love the extremes in the appearance of its skin (rough/smooth).

When I was going through the making of I stumbled upon the same question … good question indeed.

Hm, well … there might be hundreds of “logical” reasons why the alien looks like it looks. And even if not, just look at it as “art”.

Cheers …

Thanks for the information Maddam, it was really nice to see you retopolgize the original mesh like that. I was wondering if it really was as tediuos as it seemed to be, which I guess it is. The main question I would really love to hear answered is about how you produce such a clean/seemless mesh. If the body is split into sections, which you show nicley in one of your screenshots, when do you go about attaching or smoothing the transitions. Being rendered in VRay, i’m sure you must be using Displacment/Normal mapping, but when or how do you connect the body into a whole without loosing any detail or showing creases. Again, great work, and thanks for sharing with us all, we love your stuff.

great work man, it’s always a pleasure watching your rendering!

Terrific work as always, maddam - great character all-round :+1:

Chris