ZBrushCentral

new alien for the siggraph

nice work maddam !

i was wondering if you could tell us more about the texturing workflow.
i myself masterd the sculpting already but have never been able to realy master the texturing side of things atleast not to the right extend most video’s just lay down a couple of photogrhaps on the model just you know just use projections.

do you do this as a starting point ??? or do you hand paint every thing ?
do you start with a basic collor or do you start with white and just start painting ?

thnx Tamis van der Laan

@ Prayer:

Check this Video by Scott , it will surely feed your hunger.:lol:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=48840&page=1&pp=15

Of coarse all polypainting will only be perfect when the pixo-programmers realize Color-Layers.:stuck_out_tongue:
I am really praying for that beside the correction of all the bugs they added from 3.0 to 3,1.:roll_eyes:

aah yeah if seen that video its a cool technique but im talking about painting textures for rendering in maya.

if your pollypainting in zbrush i find it hard to realy know witch collours i’m painting because of materials.

i just want to know his basic workflow to get started in the right direction.

Prayer, I know exactly what you mean.

It’s really not so easy to calculate in ZBrush what your painting will later look like in your render-app.:roll_eyes:

As I said, color-layers would solve many problems in that process.

Maddam, it’s astonishing work ! It’s so of inspiration and really thanks for sharing your workflow.

Im interested as joe black mentioned to know how the head was attached to the body parts also …was this a painfull join with topology …i recall rastaman showing how that was done in a small tutorial…no offence rastaman but i found that tutorial quite long winded and complicated when im sure the process is quite simple …dont mean to say it was bad one bit …i appreciate the fine work you have done rasta :wink:

Anyway …how was that acheived in this character …would love some info on that.

OH i should mention …awsome alien :+1:

hi , thanks again guys,

few answers to some questions:

How did i merge the head and the body??
Well, after i did the new topology for the head, i did another for the body. then i made UV set for both the head and the body, i created Displace for each part. I merged the two part in modo (with being very carrefull to keep my UV the same). Back in ZB i just applyed the displace to each part. of course their was some cleaning to do at the seam but i worked rather well.

for the polypainting, i started in ZB and did most of the work here. i just went to photosop at the end to do some color tweak.

Prayer, rastaman: you can just turn the render to flat to see exactly what is your color

For info, the full model (head+ body) is only 2 millions polys 1 for the head and 1 for the body

you have great modeling and rendering skills :+1:

It always cracks me up to think of a statement like this, in a good way. It wasn’t very long ago when millions of polygons was totally absurd! You’ve made a wonderful workflow and for that I thank you. Maybe you should make the infant/larval stage of this alien :smiley: .

I merged the two part in modo
One note:

Merging Objects is also easily done within ZBrush.
Follow the second and the last link in my signature, I made already a tutorial for how to do this.
The second site at the second link shows how to merge highly detailed parts transferring all details.:wink:

Fantastic Alien and lights

wow, it’s amazing

Wow really great model. Love the textures seem to make him come alive. Thanks for showing your work flow very educational.

Had the pleasure of seeing your tutorial demo at siggraph - very inspirational - I learned a lot - thanks Damien - 5stars from me:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

A demo tutorial at Siggraph ?
Is there a chance someone has recorded it ?
It would be interesting if I take in consideration the obtained result !

Thanks in advance.
Michael

Encore une fois une bestiole qui tue… t’arrête jamais ? ^^
Superbe maitrise du soft / de l’anat / du rendu. Je te tire mon chapeau à nouveau.

Vivement le prochain :slight_smile:

Si je peux me permettre de te poser une petite question; comment tu fais la diffuse? (tu marques polypaint ça veut dire quoi?). C’est une base photo ou tu fais tout à la main?

I remember seeing this model and you presenting it at the ZBrush Booth this year.
Fantastic work - I really love this model. :+1:

:+1: :+1:

maddam:
Amazing, great detailing, 2 thumbs up :+1: :+1:
Wondering if seperate subtools for the fingernails and toenails?
Thinking about the creatures creased and gritty skin.
I wonder what microbes or fungi might be living in those skin folds?
Do you have the creature in other stances.
Does this entity live in a preindustrial world?
I guess it doesn’t have desk job!

so funny. just saw this again in the pixologic gallery and was gonna bump the thread, but U_L beat me to it 8 hours ago!!! , and the post before his was from 2008… huge coincidence. anyway. love this alien!! bump bump