ZBrushCentral

GoMax

Right, but CrazyMatt has his point. Problem is, say you export subdivision 2, and after doing the changes in max, you hit the button, subdivision 1 will then be deleted anyway. So… I think it probably makes sense to let the user decide what the 1st subdivision should be. So how does GoZ do it again? It goes back to subdivision 1 automatically, right?

Amazing! works fine now!! Great job!

tested and approved ! this is excellent !

THANK YOU NORMAN.

:smiley:

That’s really sweet man! Thanks for your hard work on this, the max users applause you! I do!

About the goZ stuff… i could be wrong, but if i do remember it right, it takes you to the lower subd, so you can make structural changes in the lower subd and it takes back and make this changes reprojecting all the higher details on this modified lowpoly mesh, so you can change the structure but keep your sculpting.
Another very usefull and very important feature about this, is that it export it to your 3d package in the lower subdivision but with your higher subd baked in the normal map… am i wrong about this?

No, it’s right.
But I won’t ask too much of Norman for things along the lines of texturing, because right now. A easier method of modeling between the two packages is enough I’m sure to satisfy enough peoples palettes. As Pixologic I’m sure has a update coming sometime relatively soon from March (spring time, though just a guess). To permanently settle these needs in a manner that’s not buggy.:slight_smile:

The script already does this :wink:

I’ll work on this!

I have just realized that, it’s better to leave the subdivision thing as it is… In some circumstances, you might want to export the second subdivision from zbrush and take it to 3dsmax, in order to pose the model and then bring it back and preserve the first subdivision.

Also, I’m working on the other fixes :wink:

Great work Norman3D :smiley: thanks :slight_smile:

No freaking kidding !!! :lol:

I’m glad you guys are liking the script!

New update for you all! :wink:

yeah, when it comes to work in the viewport, max2009 is “more smooth” than max 2010, even to startup 2010 takes more time … this kind of stuff you know. I can still use 2010, but I rather use 2009 cause its faster (I was using 2008 until 2 months ago |o|)

I understand if you not gonna make a suport for 2009. Good initiative anyway!

First of all, great job. I learned Zscript to do a similar tool but you got to it faster than me. I think we can all agree that we are very happy to get this functionality now and not having to wait any longer. :+1:

Since you said earlier that we could dig in the code, I used my Maxscript knowledge to edit some of the MAX-side your script.

[UPDATE: The tweak now works for max 2010, 2009 and max9 (and possibly other versions too.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showpost.php?p=656111&postcount=66

The zip file here is updated too]

HOWEVER the user must setup the Import and Export settings himself (I think it remebers last used settings, not sure though).

I added some features as well, 

*A check if there is a object selected before attempting an export
 *A check if the user wants to replace selection with the Zbrush tool, since this action cant be undone , I thought it would be nice.
 *A check if there is a normal map file to avoid an error message. However if there is an "old" normal map file it will use this one, but the user can quickly fix that.

Check the uploaded zip file for instructions on installation.

Finally, anyone with some scripting knowledge can probably put together a import for another program. The functuionality seems to be mainly run through the .bat files so it should be quite simple to do this in MEL for instance. Depends on what happens inside nircmdc.exe but I will see if I can do anything for Maya later on, Modo however I have no access to or experience in, sorry.

Norman: If you want to add any part of my code to your next release, feel free. Also you can contact me if you want to discuss anything regarding my changes or if there is something I can do to improve this script more :)

Thanks again. 

Bjorn.

Attachments

GoMax 1.2_update_bjorn_albihn.zip (2.82 KB)

Norman, maybe you can help me.

I’m using 3ds Max 2010, fully updated with the latest hotfixes/service pack.

I’m using Zbrush 3.5R3

I installed GoMAX via the instructions and I’m able to open the script in Max.

I select a edit poly that I want to export and bring into Zbrush and I hit the GoZbrush button, I see a dialog come up/dos window etc (which seems normal).

It then switches me over to Zbrush, but it doesn’t import anything!

and If I try to go Zbrush --> Max, it freezes my Max 2010!

No error messages or anything, the only thing wrong is it’s not sending/recieving the mesh from one program to another.

any chance of a go maya?

wow! ok great Bjorn!! This is great! I’ll be implementing the catch/try parts for the selected object when exporting and the catch/try for versions bellow 3dsMax 2010.
I think I can get ahold of a 3dsMax 2009 version, and figure out what options need to be checked in the export dialog! I’ll contact you later!
Thanks again :slight_smile:

Sounds strange, as if the program can’t write the obj. You see, it is saved temporary in the GoMax folder. Try to export an obj manually and save it as GoMax.obj in your GoMax folder. Are you able to save it? The only other thing that I can think of, is that maybe you did not install it correctly?
Also try to apply a UV before doing any export/imports

I’m pretty sure it’s possible. I just don’t know MEL scripting. Also I believe you can export from Z-Brush as an ma file with everything in. So it would be much easier. And as Bjorn said, the exe file in GoMax and the macrospit do the heavy lifting, so I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible.
Just need to find a MEL scripter :stuck_out_tongue:

Norman your a god among men! Thanks for this, it is a real time saver.:smiley:

Matt

your amazing dude!

can’t wait to see how this develops

EDIT
one problem i seem to have is my computer/max doesn’t seem to like that directX shader. max viewport freezes once i open the material editor, but before that its ok.
running 3ds max 2010 sp1 + hotfixes, xp64, and nvidia gtx285.

OK, as great as the plug-in might be for everyone else. I appear to have zbrush crash every time I edit the topology on a head or a fairly dense piece of geometry, for example…

Case scenario - I open up both applications, I load up my ZTool I want to work with. After wards, I press the ZBrush>Max button, and get the head and the normal map into Max. (So far so good)

Now, with that head inside Max, I add a few edge loops, add some extrusions, and extend the model out further. I press the Max>ZBrush button. ZBrush then receives an incoming transfer of information about the newly edited topology and starts re-projecting. End case scenario, it crashes EVERY time.

My end gripe is the current GoZ that is available by default in 3.5 works when I do what I just exampled. But when I use your plug-in, it crashes ZBrush.