ZBrushCentral

FIber mesh fun

Rick, I love your work! I’m sure this has been asked before, and frankly I feel a little silly for asking but I have to know. Are you the Oscar winning makeup effects Rick Baker? If so (and even if not) I’ve admired your work for many many years. I never passed up a Fangoria with your name on the cover. :lol:

Umm… if you’re not that Rick Baker you’re still doing an outstanding job with Zbrush. Sorry to hear about your lost work woahs, been there done that. :smiley:

Much better :+1:

If you try to array more dense and short fur on a muzzle it will be more epic.
Looking forward and so expecting a sharing tutorial about ZB fibers :smiley:

Yes, he is.

Monstermaker,

Great to see you posting. Great as always. Thanks for sharing.

I´m glad you got little embarrassed earlier (althought you had no reason to)
It´s just getting better and better.

Best work i´ve seen with fibermesh!

This is pretty cool! But I think you should adjust the settings to make the hairs seem less course.

See this video, it sure looks like real hair to me:

Great sculpt!

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Great work as always… looks like one of the wolves from Grey… which I watched last night!

Yeah, looks like he’s got a hint of hyena in him too. But, a really badass looking creature! Got any tips for styling hair? Not the ones on my head. For that, I use gel. :slight_smile:

I will be original and criticize because… I really love your work and I know that not only you can but you will do better ;). Right now it looks a bit fluffy - I dont think this goes well with it. Area just over the nose looks too curly too - normally this place is rather fat/wet looking, flat hairs close to the skin. Unless you are going for puddle/hyena crossbreed :wink:
Cant wait to see where you go with it!

Very nice work. fun to look at.

The last update is Awesome ! can’t wait to see it finished

Thanks guys, Glad to hear from some of the old timers her on the forum.
I agree with the criticisms. I am a bit out of practice haven’t touched ZB in about a year because of other commitments.
This was my first try at fibermesh and it was during some free time over the past four days. I learned a lot playing I’m sure I can do better next time. It is a bit tricky and how you render it really effects the outcome. I did try and get some different colors and textures and directions on this beast.I must say I have forgotten more that I have remembered about using ZB. It is a different beast now though isn’t it?
One thing I haven’t forgotten is how much I love playing with it. I’m looking forward to really having some time to do a proper ZB piece and not just knocking out something .
anyways thanks for looking
Rick

Wow - such emotion.

Great to see an example of your experience with ZB hair -yet to tinker with it myself.

Great follower of your work ( growing up in country Australia - pouring over Famous Monsters of Filmland - my only connection to Fantasy artists )

Tip of the Hat to a True Artist.

Dan.

Kracken,
First off as far as tips goes, I would ask someone who knows not someone who has just been playing with off on on for the last four days.
Second I would say don’t be afraid of it just play with it that is what I did.
Third I would say don’t do what I did but start with a ball or simple head paint on a mask and hit preview then render.
look at what it did then move sliders around and see what they do.
I ended up using many layers, or I should say sub tools. it seems easier to control in smaller sections
Don’t do what I did and not name your sub tools. I spent most of my time looking for a particular subtool because I didn’t name the damn things.
I would use gravity to get the basic direction then try different grooming brushes and for that matter regular brushes.
I used the move brush a lot.
Try different materials and rendering methods they all effect the fibemesh greatly.
Best advice I could give you is just start messing with it.
hope this is of some help

Wow, come on that loock pretty good, i like the expresion really much. and the nose is awesome, also inside the mouth

harrybeastmonight.jpg
OK I worked on his some more. Some steps forward some back I think. I learned some new stuff today I think what i am going to do next is start completely over with the hair. Wish me luck

Attachments

harrybeastmonight.jpg

Looks scary! :o
Well good luck then.

PS: Now I see I have to learn BPR :lol:

I hope afterwards you would concider doing a transition from human into werewolf within Modos new character animation tools.
Anyway its starting to look
very cool.

Hey Rick.
Long time no talk.
Was over at Pixologic today and the boys showed me your thread.
Can’t wait to get in there and start messing around with it.
Looks like MEGA fun.
Nice to see you back in the forums, like the Kitty ^_____^
Cesar Dacol Jr.

That is awesome, I´ve been playing with fibermesh myself and it´s a lot of fun, but what you did is really good.

Rick, I think the model looks great! The fur in particular. What specifically do you not like about it?